Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HTML N00B Here
HTMLHelp Forums > Web Authoring > Markup (HTML, XHTML, XML)
forkmyparty
If anyone could help, that would be much appreciated. I'm working on a Masters (in education) and have to create an html website for a basic tech class.

One of the professors stipulations is that all embedded images should be able to be downloaded or viewed by those with a dial-up connection. Currently all of my images are in jpeg format, do I need to switch formats or do some kind of extra compression? Here's a link to the site, the images are under testimonials.

Elder Cab!
pandy
I think the images are fine as they are. JPG is the best compressed format for photos and the ones I saw were reasonably small.

I don't know the requirements, but I think the differences in text size are too large. When I downsize the main text to a comfortable size, I can no longer make out the letters of the fine print. Note, I actually have poor eyesight, but while humongous my be easier to see, it can be very uncomfortable to read. Don't make the smallprint so much smaller that it can't be read when the main text is resized to normal, or close to normal, size. Some of those customers will wear their terminal glasses - as do I. wink.gif
forkmyparty
QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 30 2011, 12:05 PM) *

I think the images are fine as they are. JPG is the best compressed format for photos and the ones I saw were reasonably small.

Truly appreciated! I wanted to double-check as it's worth a ton of our final grade.
pandy
Oh, I edited my post above. I suppose accessibility is an issue here, so give a thought to that smallprint.
forkmyparty
QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 30 2011, 12:11 PM) *

Oh, I edited my post above. I suppose accessibility is an issue here, so give a thought to that smallprint.

It's a super basic assignment with no mention of text size. After I play with the javascript I'll fix it though, thanks again!
Christian J
QUOTE(forkmyparty @ Nov 30 2011, 05:46 PM) *

One of the professors stipulations is that all embedded images should be able to be downloaded or viewed by those with a dial-up connection.

Probably he means that the image dimensions and file sizes shouldn't be unnecessarily large. Try compressing the files as much as possible without sacrificing quality, and consider using thumbnails for images that look best in large dimensions.
pandy
Thumbnails for images as small as these? Why? unsure.gif
Christian J
Just general advice. Now that I actually looked at the site I don't see any images at all, except the embedded map. unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.