The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> mailto function / suddenly stop working!
ddblu
post Jun 28 2021, 11:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,000

Hello,

I am kind of beginner in coding. I work on a website where there is a link mailto. When you click on that link, it is supposed to open the email software to send an email. It used to work perfectly and it does not work anymore. No change has been made which is really strange. Here below is the code:

<p class="product_button"><a href="mailto:contact@xxx.com?subject=Informations product #xxxxx&amp;body=Hello,%0D%0A%0D%0AI would like to have more informations on this product : #xxxxx.%0D%0A%0D%0ABest regards.">CONTACT US ABOUT THIS ITEM</a></p>

Can anybody help me?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jun 28 2021, 02:11 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Nothing wrong with the link.

Is it you yourself that it doesn't work for or a visitor to your site? Mailto only works if there is an email client installed on the user's machine and his browser is configured to evoke that email client when a mailto link is clicked on. That's one of the reasons why mailto has always been considered unreliable. Even more so today when a lot of people don't even use an email client and only use webmail - with which mailto can't work.
User is offlinePM
ddblu
post Jun 28 2021, 06:06 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,000

Thank you for your reply.

Here is the real code:
<p class="product_button"><a href="mailto:contact@xxxx.com?subject=Informations product #<?php echo $donnees['RefProduit']; ?>&body=Hello,%0D%0A%0D%0AI would like to have more informations on this product : #<?php echo $donnees['RefProduit']; ?>.%0D%0A%0D%0ABest regards.">CONTACT US ABOUT THIS ITEM</a></p>

In this case, it does not work for me or for a visitor even though they have a mail client installed. It used to work beautifully but now it doesn't. Any idea?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jun 28 2021, 06:15 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Works splendidly for me as it is, but what does PHP return? Could you go to the page with a browser and view source and copy that bit and paste it in here? In case you don't want to post the URL that is, otherwise that's the best.

You haven't changed anything else on the page? CSS positioning sometimes messes with links, if they accidentally are covered by a transparent part of a box they become unclickable. If they are covered by a not transparent part too, but when that happens you can see the link is covered. wink.gif
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:58 AM