... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Blocking third-party requests
Christian J
post Nov 9 2021, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

Any suggestions on how to block third-party requests today (especially in Tor browser)?

I've used extensions like uMatrix for a long time, but now both that and uBlock Origin stopped working in Tor version 11. Strangely, when I tried the Brave browser's Tor function, uMatrix stopped working there too (not right away, but after a little while); which is odd since (unlike Tor Browser) Brave is Chromium-based (can it still be a Tor bug due to say embedded Tor network code?). The uMatrix extension itself has not been updated since summer.

I also use a blacklist in the Windows hosts file, but apparently Tor browser ignores the hosts file by design (at least in Windows).

Some have suggested using Pi-hole in a Raspberry Pi, any experience? I suppose that could be used as a last resort. https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/pi-hole-raspberry-pi/
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Christian J
post Nov 17 2021, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

I reverted to 10.5.10, but then its default setting made it download version 11.0.1. This time the extensions worked until today. Very strange, why break after several days?

Then I had to revert to 10.5.10 again, quickly go into Settings and disable automatic updates before version 11 was downloaded a third time. I only had seconds to do this (unless the installation can be halted as long as you haven't restarted Tor browser?).
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:32 PM