The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Probably the simplest question asked here...
Wetstuff
post Jan 13 2021, 11:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,724

..but, I am stuck—ignorant enough to get in trouble easily. I had hosting with a big name that attracts newbies. Since I only really need a single page for two URLs, I found Bluehost really cheap and easy. I got one migrated over, but am stuck with the second. I do not need another hosting account for a single page with no external links. It is for a business I closed in 2019 but I want to keep the URL active ..'planecover.com'.

I use Transmit (Mac user since the 1980s) to upload images, etc. I also use my site to store images for eBay. I can do that basic stuff. BUT - I cannot figure out how to hang the second URL? Is it a sub-domain? Sorry, I really don't know the terms.

Is there a simple process you can suggest? I appreciate the help.

Cheers. Jim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jan 13 2021, 11:18 AM
Post #2

Computer says no 🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Not sure I follow.

You have planecover.com and the you want a subdomain off the same domain, like sub.planecover.com? That's something you set up with your host's control panel. You need to create a subdomain and point it to a folder. The latter may be done automatically for you. I think a typical setup is that all domain and subdomain folders are inside the root folder and each have their own set of default folders, like public_html and so on.

But go to the CP and look for subdomains. It will probably lead you through it.

About the main site not showing up - I assume this is a problem too? My guess is that your previous host used the web root folder www instead of public_html - or it could be the other way around too, of course. In which of them do you have your index.html now? Try moving or copying it to the other.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th January 2021 - 07:04 AM