Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First-timer hit a snag
esfres34
post Feb 2 2020, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,150

I have no real web design experience but I offered to help get an artist friend online, thinking that I could use a premade template and cobble something passable together. It looks ok but when I uploaded it to amazon web services to host it, most of the image went dead (except for 3) and I don't have the knowledge to understand why. I'm hoping someone here can give me a clue as to what's happening.

Here's what the page looks like offline. image 1

But here it is online. image 2

It's puzzling to me why 3 of the images out of ~60 work but the others don't.

I thought it might be something to do with the image size not fitting in the thumbnail space but here's another great big image that is working. image 3

Here's the snippet of code. image 4

The template I'm using is called Strata.

I also uploaded to githubpages and the same thing happens. I really have no clue what I'm doing or why it works offline but not online. I reuploaded multiple times and it's always the same.

The only thing I changed with the template was the original went like "img src = images/thumbs/imagetitle.jpg" and there was a seperate folder for thumbnails, but I changed it to "images/fulls/imagetitle.jpg" to just point to the full size image. I went back and created a smaller thumbnail image and pointed back to "images/thumbs/imagetitle.jpg" but it didn't fix it. I don't really know what the "class="image fit thumb"" bit means.

Does anyone know what might be happening?

This post has been edited by esfres34: Feb 2 2020, 02:55 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Feb 2 2020, 04:04 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

Have you uploaded the images to the correct folders on the web server?

Also check the case of file names, web servers are often case-sensitive (unlike Windows).
User is offlinePM
esfres34
post Feb 2 2020, 04:52 PM
Post #3

All the images are in images/fulls and all lowercase. The strange part to me is that 3 of the images work fine and the syntax is exactly the same as the rest.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Feb 2 2020, 06:02 PM
Post #4

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Can you provide the URL (address) of a sample page that demonstrates the problem? This kind of thing is impossible for us to diagnose without that.

In the meantime, please see the FAQ entry Why are my images coming out all wrong or not loading?
User is offlinePM
esfres34
post Feb 2 2020, 08:44 PM
Post #5

Here's the page I was screenshotting.

http://carlhoughton.s3-website-us-east-1.a...sseascapes.html

I see now when I'm clicking the dead images, I get a 403 Forbidden code. I'm gonna check the permissions, make sure I have them readable.

This post has been edited by esfres34: Feb 2 2020, 08:47 PM
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 2 2020, 09:10 PM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

Well, if I try to call one of the not showing images up directly in my browser Amazon throws a 403 Forbidden. For instance this one.
http://carlhoughton.s3-website-us-east-1.a...yinthecanal.jpg

But I get the same for a hypothetical, non existing file.
http://carlhoughton.s3-website-us-east-1.a.../qwertyuiop.jpg

Not very helpful error messages they have. With a little guesswork I found this though.
http://carlhoughton.s3-website-us-east-1.a...yinthecanal.JPG

So, as Christian suggested, a matter of CaSe. The name part of your file names may be lower case, but the extensions aren't in most cases.

BTW, do go back to the thumbnails. Even with only two images showing the loading of them was very slow. With all of them there it will be terribly slow.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 2 2020, 10:26 PM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

Came to think of something. Since you thought you used all lowercase file names, maybe you have the horrendous Windows feature that hides known extensions turned on? There are several reasons it's better to always show extensions, security not the least.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 3 2020, 02:16 AM
Post #8

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(esfres34 @ Feb 3 2020, 02:44 AM) *

I see now when I'm clicking the dead images, I get a 403 Forbidden code. I'm gonna check the permissions, make sure I have them readable.

I didn't see your addition until now.

It isn't about permissions. Some servers are configured to respond with the same error code for a number of things. On a well behaved server this should have been a 404 Not Found. I don't know why one would want to configure the error messages like this. I suspect they think they can keep their secrets better this way or something. It sure isn't helpful.
User is offlinePM
esfres34
post Feb 3 2020, 07:25 AM
Post #9

Amazing, guys. Thank you, that looks like the fix. The ones that were working were all lowercase .jpg and the rest are JPG. I'll start making the thumbnails nows. Thank you.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:34 AM