... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help finding an HTML editor
Decky
post Oct 9 2021, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,472

I originally developed my website (http://www.nhoa.org.uk/) in 2007 and is often used by association members for the latest information so I need to regularly keep it up to date. I originally used Dreamweaver CS3, part of the Master Collection that I paid about £1,500 for. It recently stopped working and kept crashing for no apparent reason. The only way to cure the problem was to reinstall Windows 10 which cured lots of other problems and left me with what was effectively a new PC. Unfortunately, it was after I reinstalled the Master Collection that I discovered that Adobe had closed down their activation servers several years earlier making all disks useless. I tried contacting them but they couldn’t help and even had the cheek to try and sell me the latest version of Dreamweaver at £20 per month!

Can anybody recommend a free and simple WYSIWYG HTML editor that I can use in place of Dreamweaver please (PC or Mac) that won’t involve a steep learning curve? The HTML code is quite basic and apart from the basic editing tools in Dreamweaver the only extra features I used were switching between code view and design view (WYSIWYG) and the FTP to upload files to the server. I’ve looked at various apps but I can’t find anything equivalent with these features (Aptana wouldn’t run at all). I’m starting to think that the best option may be to edit the code using Notepad which will be a pain. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Decky: Oct 9 2021, 12:08 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Decky
post Oct 22 2021, 08:52 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,472

The pages all seem to be behaving ok now. I did a minor update on the site recently and I used Notebook and FileZilla which connects ok (now that I’ve done a master reset on Windows 10) and it uploads the files to the right place. Maybe I’ll try using Kompozer with FileZilla for the next major update.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:18 AM