22 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How bad is Win 10?
Christian J
post Nov 25 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #221

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

Just noticed that my customized hosts file has been reset to its default a few months ago (I also use ad-blocking in some of my browsers, hence I didn't notice it at first). When I opened a backup copy in my text editor, Windows Defender warned about a Severe level "SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack" for the backup file. wacko.gif

I've now managed to reapply my hosts file customizations, but I wonder if it needs to be done at every Windows Feature update from now on?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Nov 25 2020, 02:47 PM
Post #222

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

Ha ha! It feels so good when MS protects us from ourselves. laugh.gif

Oh win2k, why did you leave me? I'd even settle for win95. I think we need a new OS. I'm not fond of any of the existing ones. OK, I haven't tried every Linux flavour but I don't think they differ that much. And I haven't owned a Mac, but Mac seems even more bossy than Windows used to be. Nowadays maybe Windows is worst.

I may add that this new OS should run Windows programs without the need of virtual machines and other cumbersomeness.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 25 2020, 07:04 PM
Post #223

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 25 2020, 08:47 PM) *

I think we need a new OS. I'm not fond of any of the existing ones. OK, I haven't tried every Linux flavour but I don't think they differ that much.

When I tested they felt like hobby projects, were it was assumed that you'd willingly install a new OS build twice a year or so. That said there are different Desktops, different variety of software in their repositories and different updates schedules. Documentation seemed equally abysmal, though.

And I haven't owned a Mac, but Mac seems even more bossy than Windows used to be.

Overpriced Veblen goods, IMHO. Better to buy a second PC.

I may add that this new OS should run Windows programs without the need of virtual machines and other cumbersomeness.

Too bad Windows is not open source, then I'm sure it would have been solved since long.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 25 2020, 10:11 PM
Post #224

🌟Computer says no🌟

That's my problem with Linux too. Not only the OS, the programs also seem to be in eternal Beta. And if you have a problem it isn't easily solved. The documentation expects you to be very into everything *nix already and know your way around like in your own home. Same with the community. Not exactly newbie friendly.

I guess that's what would happen to Windows too, was it released to open source.

I use a few open source programs, mostly photo related. They basically work fine, but have a few problems. I suspect some of the features that doesn't work for me work splendidly on Linux. I haven't dared to ask on the mailing list. The documentation is totally geared towards Linux, so no help there.

They also have too many features, that to me isn't related to their purpose. Like built in sharing on social media... That makes the menus cluttered and for a long time obscured features I do like and want, makes it hard to find your way around. I guess that's what happens when many people are involved. Everyone has their pet.

I use a few other programs BASED on open source, but now commercial. As expected the above problems go away. For example I at last found an email client I can stand to replace my old Eudora. Eudora was made open source when Qualcomm stopped developing it. The new program has its glitches, not many but annoying, it's still developed. But the author patently answers questions and lets us know when what isn't a user error will be fixed. I like that about not open source.

I payed the modest price, even if I can't type an @. Trash opens when I do. laugh.gif With some keyboard layouts there's a problem with the CTRL+ALT+number characters on the top row, since CTRL+number is used for keyboard shortcuts by the program. But I'm sure that problem will be fixed soon as promised. I needed an email client badly and don't want to export and import mail several times. With open source problems are sometimes never fixed.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 26 2020, 07:51 AM
Post #225

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 26 2020, 04:11 AM) *

I use a few other programs BASED on open source, but now commercial. As expected the above problems go away.

Maybe Ubuntu would fit the bill, but I got scared away by that spyware thing they added long time ago: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ubuntu-spyware.en.html

I payed the modest price, even if I can't type an @. Trash opens when I do. laugh.gif

In an email program? laugh.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 26 2020, 11:14 AM
Post #226

🌟Computer says no🌟

Yes. I thought it was super buggy until I realized what caused and what actually happened. I thought my carefully crafted email just went up in smoke. laugh.gif
It's mainly Scandinavian keyboard layout and I think French that are problematic. It's not much of a problem now when I've used it a while. It isn't that often one actually type an email address - except when the program is new and no addresses are saved to the address book yet.

Maybe getting a second computer and run Linux on it would be a way to get into it a little more. I've done dual boot, but it's too cumbersome. I've kept my old PC, but I think it's too old now to be worth while to get in working condition. I don't even remember what part gave up. Probably the most expensive one.

Or maybe a dual boot laptop? So one can run familiar windows programs when away from home and at home it can function as a Linux box beside the desktop. unsure.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 26 2020, 12:12 PM
Post #227

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 26 2020, 05:14 PM) *

I've done dual boot, but it's too cumbersome. I've kept my old PC, but I think it's too old now to be worth while to get in working condition. I don't even remember what part gave up. Probably the most expensive one.

Linux (and its relatives) seems much more lightweight than Windows, and if you get an SSD as well it should run pretty fast.

Or maybe a dual boot laptop? So one can run familiar windows programs when away from home and at home it can function as a Linux box beside the desktop. unsure.gif

It's a thought. Are there laptops with two disks? Otherwise one needs to deal with partitions as well.

Or maybe use Tails? unsure.gif https://tails.boum.org/index.en.html

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 26 2020, 02:57 PM
Post #228

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Nov 26 2020, 06:12 PM) *

It's a thought. Are there laptops with two disks? Otherwise one needs to deal with partitions as well.

Yup. But I think one place is usually for those small ones, I don't remember what they are called. I've also read that if the laptop has a DVD burner, you can put a hard drive in that space. But you need to remove the burner first. tongue.gif

Guess there are like 10 programs for that OS. laugh.gif

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 26 2020, 03:00 PM
Post #229

🌟Computer says no🌟

Honestly, isn't Tail just for surfing without trails? Does it come with more programs than a browser? Have you tried it?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 26 2020, 03:08 PM
Post #230

🌟Computer says no🌟

If it wasn't for the fact that it has been in alpha since -96 or something, React is actually what we want. I had forgotten about it.

https://reactos.org/what-is-reactos/
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 26 2020, 05:42 PM
Post #231

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 26 2020, 09:00 PM) *

Honestly, isn't Tail just for surfing without trails? Does it come with more programs than a browser? Have you tried it?

Haven't tried myself yet, but it seems there are a few programs actually: https://tails.boum.org/doc/about/features/index.en.html and "Additionally, you can install in Tails any other software available in Debian."

React sounds interesting too, development seems to be ongoing. smile.gif

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 27 2020, 01:17 AM
Post #232

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Nov 26 2020, 11:42 PM) *

React sounds interesting too, development seems to be ongoing. smile.gif

Oh yes. But the problem is the same as with K-mel. They are sooo far behind. From what I've read they are up to mimicking my favourite version of Windows now, 2K. Which means not so few programs won't run on it. Maybe there's also security issues. I don't know how they handle that. And there is the eternal alpha status.

"Please note, that ReactOS is still in alpha and gives no guarantee of stability, safety of your files or working at all."

I watched a clip on YouTube. It looks so nice, as windows used to look. wub.gif

There is a Live CD. Maybe you could try that just for fun? I can't. My last computer didn't come with a DVD and I have hard drives in all places. I should get one of those USB ones, I guess. Or maybe it's possible to take the DVD from my old machine and use it "externally"? IIRC there are more connectors than there are slots in there. I'm not so good with hardware. I've always only had the one box, so I've been afraid to take chances and that's how one learns.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 27 2020, 03:08 AM
Post #233

🌟Computer says no🌟

Hm, most external DVDs seem to cost less than 400 SEK. Maybe I could afford that. tongue.gif I thought they were much more expensive and I wouldn't use it much, so... blush.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 27 2020, 12:40 PM
Post #234

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 27 2020, 07:17 AM) *

From what I've read they are up to mimicking my favourite version of Windows now, 2K. Which means not so few programs won't run on it. Maybe there's also security issues.

Guess it depends on how you define mimicking Windows 2k, most Windows features are things we never use anyway. Support for newer programs (and hardware?) is another issue though. Not sure how important security would be, unless someone targetted you personally I'd say it gives more protection from general malware to use obscure software.

There is a Live CD. Maybe you could try that just for fun?

If it was fun I'd probably be using Linux already. tongue.gif

maybe it's possible to take the DVD from my old machine and use it "externally"?

I suppose that could work, with a cable to the motherboard. I got a dedicated external myself, but I've hardly ever used it.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 28 2020, 05:27 AM
Post #235

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Nov 27 2020, 06:40 PM) *

There is a Live CD. Maybe you could try that just for fun?

If it was fun I'd probably be using Linux already. tongue.gif

But this isn't Linux. It's basically Windows, or close to.

maybe it's possible to take the DVD from my old machine and use it "externally"?

I suppose that could work, with a cable to the motherboard. I got a dedicated external myself, but I've hardly ever used it.

An USB one? Does it work OK when you use it though? Sometimes USB stuff lose connection.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 28 2020, 07:53 AM
Post #236

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 28 2020, 11:27 AM) *

But it isn't fun. sad.gif

An USB one?

No I meant you could place the old internal DVD player outside your new PC, and connect it to the new PC's motherboard. I think it's a SATA connector, just like HDDs.

Does it work OK when you use it though? Sometimes USB stuff lose connection.

I've only used my USB DVD for installing a couple of old programs. My main problems with USB connections have been due to conflicts with other USB devices, but once there's a connection I recall it use to work.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 28 2020, 08:02 AM
Post #237

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Nov 28 2020, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 28 2020, 11:27 AM) *

But it isn't fun. sad.gif

No? I think Windows without the crap sound super fun! If only it was up to date, I would be all over it. wub.gif

An USB one?

No I meant you could place the old internal DVD player outside your new PC, and connect it to the new PC's motherboard. I think it's a SATA connector, just like HDDs.

Me too. I referred to the external thing you have.

Does it work OK when you use it though? Sometimes USB stuff lose connection.

I've only used my USB DVD for installing a couple of old programs. My main problems with USB connections have been due to conflicts with other USB devices, but once there's a connection I recall it use to work.

I get it quite often, but usually in the beginning of the process. For example I use a downloader thing to transfer photos from the memory card (it does smart things, sorts and renames and so on). It often lose connection right at start and I have to click one or two times more. But nothing is lost or corrupted since the files are left on the card until I decide to delete them, so it doesn't matter. If I was burning something I probably wouldn't be as lucky.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 15 2021, 04:26 AM
Post #238

🌟Computer says no🌟

Help! All of a sudden I have what looks like a chromeless black window in the top right corner of my screen. It's on top of everything, even the mouse pointer goes behind it, so right-clicking on it doesn't work. There is no button for it on the task bar.

When it occurred there was also a notification that Java had been updated. The only thing Java related I found in task manager was the notification service, which I killed.

Rebooting doesn't help.

Oh dear. When I took a screen cap to post here it turned out the black thing doesn't show. Does that mean it's something wrong with the monitor? What could it be? I've restarted the monitor and rebooted the computer. No changes.

I photographed the screen with my phone. The sun is causing reflexes, but I think you can see the evil rectangle. sad.gif

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 15 2021, 04:31 AM
Post #239

🌟Computer says no🌟

Oops! Fixed it. The screen had turned on Multi View, something I've never used. Strange though, since I hadn't touched the screen when it happened.

I was going to delete my first post about it, but decided to let it be in case someone else has a similar problem.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Feb 15 2021, 10:31 AM
Post #240

QUOTE(pandy @ Feb 15 2021, 10:31 AM) *

The screen had turned on Multi View, something I've never used.

What is that? I suppose you don't mean this: https://www.futuresoft.com/Products/MultiVi...multiview8.html unsure.gif
User is offlinePM

22 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
8 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:19 AM