The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tables, Can I enter a reference instead of data into a cell?
James
post Apr 29 2007, 03:44 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 269

I am using HTML tables to display my price lists on the site I am building ( http://www.warural.com.au/prices-computers.html )

As i was slavishly entering product codes, product descriptions, brands, prices into the cells, ie between the <td></td> tags, it ocurred to me that I will have to do this all over again next week when the prices change, as they do often, these days.

Can I code the table just once, and instead of typing data into the cells, insert a reference to some other place where the cell can fetch its data from?

For example, if I could access a spreadsheet, the contents of a table cell displaying price might contain something like this (in pseudocode):

<td>prices.csv/sheet1.C6</td>
and cell C6 on the spreadsheet called "prices" might contain something like: "$125.50"

I am reasonably sure i can download price lists from my wholesalers in CSV, Excel, or some other format I can manipulate, and it would be great if i could just upload my new price list, overwriting the old one, rather than to have to edit the HTML code on a regular basis.

Can I do this?

Kind regards, James
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Peter1968
post Apr 29 2007, 04:24 AM
Post #2

Serious Coder

Member No.: 213

Dare I throw vogue words at you, but I will anyway - "database-driven solutions."

Then, instead of manually changing oodles of cells, you could simply run a bunch of INSERT SQL queries, and have an updated catalogue.

There's a few out there that are GPLed software, so if you Google for "online store software" or the like, you may find something for your needs.

Oh yeah, it's "prices" too, not what you have on that page. Just a heads up.

This post has been edited by Peter1968: Apr 29 2007, 04:26 AM
User is offlinePM
James
post Apr 29 2007, 06:39 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Peter1968 @ Apr 29 2007, 05:24 PM) *

Dare I throw vogue words at you, but I will anyway - "database-driven solutions."

Then, instead of manually changing oodles of cells, you could simply run a bunch of INSERT SQL queries, and have an updated catalogue.

There's a few out there that are GPLed software, so if you Google for "online store software" or the like, you may find something for your needs.

Oh yeah, it's "prices" too, not what you have on that page. Just a heads up.

Hmmmmmmmmm!

When I was at Uni we did databases too, and lots of SQL queries, but I was hoping not to have to re-learn yet another skill set - I am having enough trouble polishing up my Web design (HTML & CSS) skills.

thanks verymuch for taking the time to reply and I will probably follow your advice in the long term, but for the moment it seems that I will be manually updating the tables for a little while to come.

Many thanks, James
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Apr 29 2007, 06:56 AM
Post #4

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(James @ Apr 29 2007, 01:39 PM) *

for the moment it seems that I will be manually updating the tables

How are the prices organized "off-line"? Maybe there's an easy way to create a table around that.
User is offlinePM
exentrix.
post Apr 29 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #5

Novice

Member No.: 2,596

Check one of these out.

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_...alls/index.html

Edit:

Just thought i'd clarify. You probably won't have to learn any new skills; simply install an appopriate script and configure it to match your needs. You won't actually be coding anything complicated yourself. smile.gif

This post has been edited by exentrix.: Apr 29 2007, 08:34 AM
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post Apr 29 2007, 08:35 AM
Post #6

Jocular coder

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Christian J @ Apr 29 2007, 08:56 PM) *

How are the prices organized "off-line"? Maybe there's an easy way to create a table around that.

Or just use a standard system like osCommerce??
User is offlinePM
James
post Apr 29 2007, 08:56 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Christian J @ Apr 29 2007, 07:56 PM) *

Hi christian (and thanks to you others who replied).

"How are the prices organized "off-line"? " - well, one supplier will send me Excel spreadsheet prices. Another uses HTML tables themselves, online. Some will allow csv downloads. I have yet to contact the rest.

Many thanks. James
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Apr 30 2007, 01:07 AM
Post #8

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

well, one supplier will send me Excel spreadsheet prices. Another uses HTML tables themselves, online. Some will allow csv downloads.
BTDTGTTS. Pick a format that works for you. Then figure out how to convert the other formats automatically into the format you chose. Data entry sucks; you need to automate this step.

Eventually, you might even "allow" them to update their own data in your system using your preferred format. Good luck.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 10:28 AM