2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help with text layout & CSS
JUI43555
post May 26 2023, 08:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,833

Hi, how do i make the CSS for the dates to be at the left side of the paragraph like that?

This is a card just FYI.

Thanks in advance.

IPB Image

CODE
<div class="about-us-card-1">
                <h2>Lorem Ipsum</h2>
                <p>
                    <span>1969</span>
                    Company opens first store in March, operating through a small leased shopfront 10 metres by 10 metres, selling floor coverings. George and Jean serve customers in the shop and one other
                    person assists them in the shop. Warren Preuss is employed to set up links with the major suppliers and manage ordering of stock. Two carpet layers are employed to cut and install. A
                    warehouse in an industrial area has also been leased to store the products.
                </p>
                <p>
                    <span>1969</span>
                    Attempts to decentralise much of the data processing seem to be successful. Headquarters at the capital city store still manages purchasing, warehousing and marketing. The two capital city
                    stores amalgamate into one new superstore in the Central Business District. A gala opening occurs.
                </p>
            </div>
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
coothead
post May 26 2023, 10:45 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

From: chertsey, a small town 25 miles south west of london, england
Member No.: 28,743

Hi there JUI43555,

checkout the attachment to find one possible solution. IPB Image

Attached File  JUI43555.zip ( 23.56k ) Number of downloads: 77

coothead
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post May 26 2023, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(JUI43555 @ May 26 2023, 03:33 PM) *

Hi, how do i make the CSS for the dates to be at the left side of the paragraph like that?

There are lots of ways you can do it (e.g. flex, float or inline-block?). Here's one using "position: absolute". I wonder if a Definition List would be more semantically appropriate for value pairs like these? unsure.gif

CSS:
CODE
div.about-us-card-1 {
position: relative;
padding: 2em;
width: 30em;
}

dt {
position: absolute;
top: auto;
left: 2em;
}

dd {margin-left: 3em;}

HTML:
CODE
<h2>Lorem Ipsum</h2>
<dl>
    <dt>1969</dt>
    <dd>Company opens first store in March, operating through a small leased shopfront 10 metres by 10 metres, selling floor coverings. George and Jean serve customers in the shop and one other    person assists them in the shop. Warren Preuss is employed to set up links with the major suppliers and manage ordering of stock. Two carpet layers are employed to cut and install. A    warehouse in an industrial area has also been leased to store the products.</dd>
</dl>
<dl>
    <dt>1969</dt>
    <dd>Attempts to decentralise much of the data processing seem to be successful. Headquarters at the capital city store still manages purchasing, warehousing and marketing. The two capital city    stores amalgamate into one new superstore in the Central Business District. A gala opening occurs.</dd>
</dl>
</div>
User is offlinePM
coothead
post May 26 2023, 04:44 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Hi there Christian J,

I would suggest that you change this...
CODE

div.about-us-card-1 {
width: 30em;
}

...to this...
CODE

div.about-us-card-1 {
max-width: 30em;
}

It will then make the page fully responsive. IPB Image

coothead
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post May 26 2023, 05:01 PM
Post #5

Thanks, that should help.

One thing to keep in mind with "my" example (actually it's from the CSS2.1 spec) is that the DD's left margin must be large enough to accomodate the DT text. That's not a problem if the length of the DT content is known (such as the four-digit years in this example); but if the DT text content can vary widely, maybe some other solution (like flex) may work better by expanding the left column if needed?
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post May 27 2023, 09:03 AM
Post #6

Here's one using CSS tables, it's even shorter and should adapt to varying amounts of content better.

CSS
CODE
div.about-us-card-1 {
display: inline-table;
border-spacing: 1em;
}

dt, dd {display: table-cell;}

Correction to make the padding/margin look more like in the OP's screenshot:

CODE
div.about-us-card-1 {
display: inline-table;
padding: 1em;
}

dt, dd {display: table-cell;}

dd {padding-left: 1em;}

The second ("Attempts to decentralize...") section is still not the same height as the first section though (like in the screenshot).

HTML (same as before)
CODE
<h2>Lorem Ipsum</h2>
<dl>
    <dt>1969</dt>
    <dd>Company opens first store in March, operating through a small leased shopfront 10 metres by 10 metres, selling floor coverings. George and Jean serve customers in the shop and one other    person assists them in the shop. Warren Preuss is employed to set up links with the major suppliers and manage ordering of stock. Two carpet layers are employed to cut and install. A    warehouse in an industrial area has also been leased to store the products.</dd>
</dl>
<dl>
    <dt>1969</dt>
    <dd>Attempts to decentralise much of the data processing seem to be successful. Headquarters at the capital city store still manages purchasing, warehousing and marketing. The two capital city    stores amalgamate into one new superstore in the Central Business District. A gala opening occurs.</dd>
</dl>
</div>

This post has been edited by Christian J: May 27 2023, 02:25 PM
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post May 29 2023, 08:50 AM
Post #7

Here's one using inline-blocks. This one is sensitive to the (max-)width values of the DT and DD, or they'll end up below each other instead. Also the default margin of the DD needs to be removed.

CSS
CODE
div, dt, dd {
vertical-align: top;
display: inline-block;
}

div {
padding: 1em;
}

dt {width: 3em;}

dd {
margin: 0;
max-width: 26em;
}

HTML (same as before)
CODE
<h2>Lorem Ipsum</h2>
<dl>
    <dt>1969</dt>
</dl>
<dl>
    <dt>1969</dt>
    <dd>Attempts to decentralise much of the data processing seem to be successful. Headquarters at the capital city store still manages purchasing, warehousing and marketing. The two capital city stores amalgamate into one new superstore in the Central Business District. A gala opening occurs.</dd>
</dl>
</div>
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post May 29 2023, 09:15 AM
Post #8

Now I realized that my Definition List examples rely on using separate DL elements for each pair of DT/DD elements, maybe that's not entirely appropriate?

It seems possible to use only a single DL in each card DIV with CSS "position: absolute" or "inline-block" (with added DD bottom margin), but "display: table" may not work since you need the DL for the new CSS table rows.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 29 2023, 07:56 PM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

It can be much simpler. What about this?

Everything in the same DL.

CODE
.about-us-card-1 dt    { float: left }
.about-us-card-1 dd    { margin: 0 0 2em 4em }
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post May 30 2023, 09:51 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(pandy @ May 30 2023, 02:56 AM) *

It can be much simpler. What about this?

Everything in the same DL.

CODE
.about-us-card-1 dt    { float: left }
.about-us-card-1 dd    { margin: 0 0 2em 4em }

Much better! And if by accident the DT text is longer than the DD's left margin allows, the DT will just push into the DD area, which looks bad but is still readable (unlike how position absolute text usually covers other content).
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 30 2023, 11:15 AM
Post #11

🌟Computer says no🌟

I assumed there would only be years.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post May 30 2023, 02:09 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(pandy @ May 30 2023, 06:15 PM) *

I assumed there would only be years.

It's just a matter of time before a client wants to add months too. Better safe than sorry. happy.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 30 2023, 06:33 PM
Post #13

🌟Computer says no🌟

If that happens it isn't that hard to give DT a width and adjust the left margin on DD accordingly.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jun 1 2023, 07:33 AM
Post #14

True, I was thinking more of cases where site owners make changes to the text content without knowing much about how it affects the HTML and CSS.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jun 1 2023, 02:21 PM
Post #15

🌟Computer says no🌟

Well, I haven't heard anything about clients... biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
Jason Knight
post Jun 2 2023, 03:35 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 28,719

There are a lot of different ways of doing this, and ten to twelve years ago I'd have leaned towards abusing the definition list. NOW though, the only thing I really see right in any version is the presence of an H2, and the paragraph wrapping a paragraph.

BUT, that span is obviously a heading for an ARTICLE, that's H3's job... marking the start of a subsection of the H2 preceding it. So long as you'd only have one paragraph, I'd make that a SECTION containing ARTICLE of H3 and P.

CODE

<section class="actionCard">
    <h2>Lorem Ipsum</h2>
    <article>
        <h3>1969</h3>
        <p>
            Company opens first store in March, operating through a small leased shopfront 10 metres by 10 metres, selling floor coverings. George and Jean serve customers in the shop and one other person assists them in the shop. Warren Preuss is employed to set up links with the major suppliers and manage ordering of stock. Two carpet layers are employed to cut and install. A warehouse in an industrial area has also been leased to store the products.
        </p>
    </article><article>
        <h3>1969</h3<>
        <p>
            Attempts to decentralise much of the data processing seem to be successful. Headquarters at the capital city store still manages purchasing, warehousing and marketing. The two capital city stores amalgamate into one new superstore in the Central Business District. A gala opening occurs.
        </p>
    </article>
<!-- .actionCard --></section>

The code for formatting the section going something like this:

CODE

.actionCard article {
    display:flex;
    gap:1rem;
}

.actionCard h3 {
    flex-grow:0;
}

.actionCard p {
    flex-grow:1;
}

MAYBE adding a width declaration on the H3 if they're not uniform. Using display:table might be a more versatile option instead of flex, I'd have to see more data and style to decide on that.

The big key though is writing the semantic markup BEFORE worrying about styling it, since you need to always keep in mind HTML is for MORE than what it looks like for sighted users on browsers. HTML semantics -- the meanings of tags -- exists for a reason. To create logical structure for everyone -- visual, aural, braille, even search.

You have a section, with a heading, broken up into subsections/articles that also have headings describing the related content. That makes what the markup should be pretty clear... even if applying style to that is not.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jun 2 2023, 11:14 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Jason Knight @ Jun 2 2023, 10:35 AM) *

BUT, that span is obviously a heading for an ARTICLE

I suppose it could be a heading, albeit a short one. I'm not really sure what those years represent semantically --maybe we are misled by seeing the OP's card mockup to think they must be marked up semantically as separate elements at all? unsure.gif Thinking of it I might as well use something like:

CODE
<p>1969 - Company opens first store in March</p>

Not quite the same thing, but now I got curious about what W3C itself uses for its numbered nav menus, like this one: https://www.w3.org/TR/css-flexbox-1/#contents but it's just SPAN elements:

CODE
<ol class="toc">
      <li><a href="#overview"><span class="secno">1.1</span> <span class="content"> Overview</span></a>
      </li><li><a href="#placement"><span class="secno">1.2</span> <span class="content"> Module interactions</span></a>
     </li></ol>

(The OL's own numbering seems hidden with CSS).

I also found this page from 1995: https://www.w3.org/History.html that uses headings for years, but DLs for months:

CODE
    <h2>1989</h2>
    <dl>
      <dt>March</dt>
      <dd><a href="History/1989/proposal.html">"Information Management: A
          Proposal"</a> written by <a href="People.html#BernersLee">Tim BL</a>
        and circulated for comments at <a href="http://www.cern.ch/">CERN</a>
        (TBL). Paper "HyperText and CERN" produced as background (<a href="/Administration/HTandCERN.txt">text</a>
        or <a href="/Administration/HTandCERN.wn">WriteNow</a> format).</dd>
    </dl>

wacko.gif

The big key though is writing the semantic markup BEFORE worrying about styling it, since you need to always keep in mind HTML is for MORE than what it looks like for sighted users on browsers. HTML semantics -- the meanings of tags -- exists for a reason. To create logical structure for everyone -- visual, aural, braille, even search.

I agree when it comes to production pages, but since the OP asked about CSS layouts in this thread, I see the HTML here mostly as scaffolding for the CSS. That said it seems precarious to study CSS without a good understanding of HTML semantics.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jun 3 2023, 11:40 AM
Post #18

Thinking more about the OP's sample text, I think it lacks enough context to know its HTML semantics. For example, if it's part of a Company History page one might use just H2 and P (perhaps with a DIV for the CSS layout). But if it's just random text snippets inserted say on other pages, maybe the ASIDE element would be appropriate?

Now I finally looked up the meaning of a CSS Card, and it appears to require a grid-like layout: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/We...t_cookbook/Card in which case there might be a problem with overflowing content. But perhaps Grid or Flex can adapt all the cards to the one with the most content automatically?
User is offlinePM
Jason Knight
post Jun 3 2023, 11:30 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 28,719

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jun 3 2023, 12:40 PM) *

Thinking more about the OP's sample text, I think it lacks enough context to know its HTML semantics.

Agreed. It's why I dislike the definition list... "1969" isn't a term, nor are we defining it.
User is offlinePM
coothead
post Jun 4 2023, 04:25 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Isn't it just wonderful to see how much interest
JUI43555, the original poster, is taking in their
little project. IPB Image

We haven't seen hide or hair of them arouind
these parts for at least a week. IPB Image

coothead
User is offlinePM

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:44 AM