Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Problems with internet connection
pandy
post Aug 7 2019, 06:40 PM
Post #1

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Setup: desktop computer connected to router with cable.

This morning I couldn't get on the net. I saw the little computer icon in the tray told me No Internet Access. Looked at the router and the ethernet diod (or what it's called) showed it was not connected. Turned out the network cable on the back of the modem was a little loose. Pushed it in, the icon turned green as it should be, but the computer still said no Internet Access.

I remember it used to be important to start the router before the computer, something that should be obtained (to do with IP addresses, I think) is stored for some time somehow, so if it can't be obtained because there is not yet an internet connection, that state can sort of stick. Remedy was to turn off the computer for half an hour (or disconnect it from the router) and that always helped. Doesn't help now. Everything has been off for more than 6 hours this evening.

Googling the problem I found two command line tricks that are supposed to help. They did not. But here they are.
CODE
netsh winsock reset catalog

CODE
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

I know it's not an ISP problem and I know the router works. I can connect my phone to the wireless network just fine.

So now I have a very odd setup. My PC is connected to my phone with USB tethering. And my phone uses the fiber broadband by connecting to the router with wifi. I'm certain the fiber broadband is used, since the phone's data usage hasn't gone up in spite of me watching a movie on online telly.

Oh, an odd thing. While the PC is connected to the phone it tells me the usual network is also connected. Alas that doesn't last when I disconnect the phone.

Help! wacko.gif

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:03 PM