Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new website
shannonlp
post Sep 30 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #1

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 296

Hi i have a website that i am trying to get started. Would like any pointers that you would like to offer. And of course what do you think of the design. The site was a thought 2 days ago then bought the domain then starting designing the page.

http://www.ecarttemplates.com
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Sep 30 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

The Doctype seems to be incorrect. Make "HTML" below lower case:

CODE
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC

When I tried validating the XHTML with the Doctype fixed I got errors for an ONLOAD attribute in an IMG element. In several query strings "&" is not escaped as "&amp;", see http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html.en#amp

The sample layouts (are you a reseller?) open in popup windows, a better solution would be to use normal HTML links that don't rely on javascript.

It would be nice with a more fluid (i.e. not fixed-width) layout with resizable text (in IE).

With images disabled, the white

Welcome Guest [Login | Register]

text becomes invisible on the whote page background.
User is offlinePM
shannonlp
post Sep 30 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #3

Novice

Most of this page is coming from a MySQL data base. It is using PHP via .tpl files to generate content. The actuall source code is pretty small.

Except for the java.

User is offlinePM
Cameron
post Oct 4 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #4

Novice

Member No.: 224

Great site! Easy navigation, etc. I like the color sceme. The only problem I found was that your navigation bar (the image nav bar) was a bit dull, it could stand to be thinner and a bit more brightly colored.
User is offlinePM
SkyB0lt
post Oct 9 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #5

Novice

Member No.: 253

OMG Great page! When I get good enough I will come here looking for some quick cash lol.

Listen, I found a break u should fix. If you goto the programers wanted link on the left the (nav bar at the top?) bar at the top's show all x's. They show up correctly if I hover my mouse over them.

Anyway, NICE stuff!
User is offlinePM
shannonlp
post Oct 17 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #6

Novice

QUOTE(SkyB0lt @ Oct 9 2006, 04:31 PM) *

OMG Great page! When I get good enough I will come here looking for some quick cash lol.

Listen, I found a break u should fix. If you goto the programers wanted link on the left the (nav bar at the top?) bar at the top's show all x's. They show up correctly if I hover my mouse over them.

Anyway, NICE stuff!

Thanks, for the responses.

SkyBOlt I think I fixed the image rollover problem.

I have validated all pages with the W3C validator. Looking at makeing some changes to the top NAV by shrinking the Header a bit. Seems a little large and pushing the content to low.
User is offlinePM
design_junkie
post Nov 2 2006, 07:54 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 658

the border you have around your page seems to dissolve into the background alot, it should stand out a bit more.

the rollovers look great although are a bit murky, how about making them stand out more or loose the bubbly effect?

apart from that well coded mate
User is offlinePM
shannonlp
post Nov 3 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #8

Novice

I have taken your suggestions and made some changes to the site. Let me know what you think.
User is offlinePM
stjepan
post Nov 8 2006, 08:41 AM
Post #9

Serious Coder

Member No.: 445

From the histerius point of view:
- Make color of rollovers orange like the emphasized text on the right (ie. Online Statistics, Developers...) It will look more consistent and more readable
- I'd use 7D9BAA as a main color, so the contrast colors for that would be orange #FFAD00 (or lighter #FFCE66) and red #FF2900 (or light version #FF7F66)
- The black lines under "Language", "Category"... should be thinner, they're too strong, and that lines should extend a few more pixels to the right; right now it's not clear is it a design or a mistake
- The dark orange rectangles do... what? They are design elements, I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, these are just minor observations, the overall look is very good. (I took a freedom here to look from designers point of view, I didn't go into functionality).

This post has been edited by stjepan: Nov 8 2006, 08:43 AM
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 8 2006, 09:35 AM
Post #10

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

The search box and the links for Welcome Guest [Login | Register] appear too high up in IE6.

The script templates for "browser redirects" and "no right click" are a bit useless, IMHO, of course customers may have different opinions. :-/
User is offlinePM
John Pozadzides
post Dec 13 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #11

WDG Founder

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(shannonlp @ Sep 30 2006, 12:07 PM) *

Hi i have a website that i am trying to get started. Would like any pointers that you would like to offer. And of course what do you think of the design. The site was a thought 2 days ago then bought the domain then starting designing the page.

http://www.ecarttemplates.com

On a totally different line of thought than the other comments, I'm confused by the content not the layout...
  • What exactly do you do? It's not clear and should be stated concisely and plainly to people who are first time visitors.
  • There is too much information on the front page. It scrolls and scrolls and people just aren't going to read all that the moment they show up. You need to break up the content and allow people to navigate to the appropriate information in more bite sized chunks.
  • What's up with the Google banner ad in the middle of everthing? How is the Google Pack relavent to your other content? It just further confuses me.

The bottom line is that I would begin to shift my focus from design to content management. I would suggest simplifying the pages and think more about the impression that first time visitors get. Be clear about what you provide and where they need to go to get more information.

Hope this helps,

John
User is offlinePM
cassi
post Mar 26 2007, 05:04 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,323

one quick suggestion I would make is reduce load time. Most surfers will wait no more than 8 seconds before they stop and move on. Im on a t1 connection and it took 10 seconds...

thats all... Otherwise great job....

This post has been edited by cassi: Mar 26 2007, 05:05 AM
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:42 PM