22 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How bad is Win 10?
Christian J
post Nov 15 2018, 04:55 PM
Post #141

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

Thanks. Kinda strange that there's no setting for it though. Is it atypical to want to run a VPN constantly?

(I also suppose this is more of a general Windows issue, and not limited to 10).
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Nov 16 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #142

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

Probably. Did it work?
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 17 2018, 03:34 AM
Post #143

Yes it worked once I got the connection arguments right (a Windows domain is not the same as the VPN's server address and I needed neither). blush.gif

How about employees connecting their work laptops/mobiles to the company VPN every working day, wouldn't they want to be connected automatically too? But maybe their company's IT department sets that up for them the same way I did.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Mar 25 2019, 04:24 PM
Post #144

Now Win10 build 1809 forced itself into my computer.

A new thing is adding history to the Snipping tool, which will later be changed into an "App" apparently.

Just like after 1803, I got no sound in my headphones until I unplugged and plugged them in again. Also the desktop background-image was missing, and the background color changed to one I used long time ago (but not the default color). wacko.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 26 2019, 07:33 AM
Post #145

🌟Computer says no🌟

For me the last update changed the order of the items of the drop down menu that comes up when I click the the Turn Off button. I *think* it previously reordered itself so the most used option was at top. Anyway, Turn Off was at top so I only needed two clicks (while one would be preferred...). Now Switch User (which I of course never use) is on top and I have to scroll down to do what I want. Which I most often forget. Or I click the wrong choice by mistake because I'm used to this being a quick and painless maneuver. Small thing compared to the rest of the crab, still annoying.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 26 2019, 10:12 AM
Post #146

🌟Computer says no🌟

What do to? Win 10 has made me go off computers. Maybe that's their goal? Don't take an interest, just use what's offered, use the PC as an entertainment machine.

Problem is I'm not too fond of Linux either. When I ran Ubuntu it felt like it was in an eternal Beta. And I'm kind of attached to some Windows programs and most of all to the plethora of programs there is to choose from. Mac has never tempted me. Only their hardware does.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Mar 26 2019, 10:55 AM
Post #147

Do you mean the button in the Start menu? I only get the following items, in this order:

CODE
sleep
shut down
restart

--no "switch user" there, and no scrollbar. unsure.gif

Personally I use Alt+F4 to turn off the computer, and that menu still shows "shut down" as the default in the dropdown.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Mar 26 2019, 11:45 AM
Post #148

QUOTE(pandy @ Mar 26 2019, 04:12 PM) *

What do to? Win 10 has made me go off computers.

In my case I blame my lack of interest on Google (its script libraries) and Facebook (its effect on independent web forums), Win10 is mostly innocent.

Maybe that's their goal? Don't take an interest, just use what's offered, use the PC as an entertainment machine.

Absolutely. In particular, pay for your apps in their app store. I wouldn't call it a goal though, most Win users don't have a deeper interest than that to begin with.

Problem is I'm not too fond of Linux either. When I ran Ubuntu it felt like it was in an eternal Beta.

When I tried Linux Mint it suddenly stopped receiving updates after a year, and I'd have to reinstall a completely new version. This wasn't clear at all before I downloaded. As for Ubuntu, let's not forget: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_i...acy_controversy
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 26 2019, 11:51 AM
Post #149

🌟Computer says no🌟

It's that menu I'm talking about.

I forgot I have Classic Start Menu installed (but that hasn't updated, windows has). It has sort of a double menu. If I just hover Turn Off I get an ordinary menu with the options (just an ordinary submenu). If I click I get the same menu as I get with Alt + F4. The options are ordered the same any way I do it.

I have more options than you. I know I had to do something to get Hibernate back. The other options I don't remember. That was annoying too, not being able to easily hibernate. I didn't use it much earlier when startup was slow. I just let the computer sleep. But with the SSD disk startup is so quick I use it most of the times I leave the computer. Saves some electricity. If I don't do it manually I have set it to automatically first sleep after 5 minutes or something and then hibernate after 15 or 20 or something like that. But when I'm very energy conscious and leave home I do it manually. tongue.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Mar 26 2019, 01:53 PM
Post #150

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

I myself don't care for the Win10 interface but the OS seems stable enough. Microsoft doesn't care about us old time users they're too busy training the next generation of monkeys to accept their crap. Not to mention they have completely monetized Windows. You don't even get the 4 games that all previous versions had.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Mar 26 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #151

QUOTE(pandy @ Mar 26 2019, 05:51 PM) *

I forgot I have Classic Start Menu installed (but that hasn't updated, windows has).

Sounds like the update has broken the addon somehow. Maybe there's an update for the latter as well.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Mar 26 2019, 03:17 PM
Post #152

QUOTE(CharlesEF @ Mar 26 2019, 07:53 PM) *

You don't even get the 4 games that all previous versions had.

Yes that's total greed, especially considering that you can find the same games for free in the Google Play store (even without ads).

This post has been edited by Christian J: Mar 26 2019, 05:24 PM
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 26 2019, 05:22 PM
Post #153

🌟Computer says no🌟

Windows may be crap, but then what isn't? Mac seems even more dumbed down (if possible). Linux, well, depends on what you are doing I guess. But I've actually found Windows pretty tolerable for a user that wants to do a little of this and a little of that like myself (yes, I do watch movies and telly too! tongue.gif). Up to now, that is.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 26 2019, 06:14 PM
Post #154

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Mar 26 2019, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(pandy @ Mar 26 2019, 05:51 PM) *

I forgot I have Classic Start Menu installed (but that hasn't updated, windows has).

Sounds like the update has broken the addon somehow. Maybe there's an update for the latter as well.

No. As you see the screen dump is of the Windows menu I get with Alt + F4. It's no biggie, I'll relearn, it's just annoying that things change all the time!
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jul 1 2019, 05:10 AM
Post #155

Maybe we've already covered this, but now I wanted to change "program associated with file type", and the menu in Settings only let me choose new programs from the Microsoft Store! Fortunately you can still right-click directly on a file and use open with > choose another app > more apps, but I wonder for how long?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 1 2019, 06:09 AM
Post #156

🌟Computer says no🌟

I haven't got around to reinstalling yet. A friend with a laptop is supposed to help me, but I procrastinate... What I hate most with reinstalling is if something goes wrong I have to use my phone to google, since I currently have only one computer. Besides that, he's better than I with things like that. I still procrastinate. Probably because of lost interest in the whole thing.

Anyhow, I have to use sendto all the time, since Windows don't let me use drag and drop with almost any programs and associations doesn't work either... ninja.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 30 2019, 02:47 PM
Post #157

🌟Computer says no🌟

Do you know of a trick that enables group closing of several windows?

Say you have 20 folders open. In earlier versions of Windows we could click button after buttons in the task bar while holding down Shift (I think it was), right click and close the whole lot in one fell swoop. I hate that seems impossible now.

On a brighter note, an update a month or so ago sorted some of my problems. Alas it added a new one. It placed the task bar on top of everything and it wouldn't hide. Covered the status bar in programs if I used full window. Miraculously it behaves normally today for the first time since the update. Hope it sticks, because none of the tricks I found on the Net worked.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 1 2019, 06:01 AM
Post #158

Not quite, but by hovering(?) you can get a horizontal row of thumbnails of the opened windows to appear just above the task bar. Each one has a close [x] button, so if you just keep clicking on the left-most one you can close all of them with reletively small effort.

Maybe it's also possible to do something if you can manage to display opened window thumbnails in a vertical stack, like you could do in Win7, but I don't know if/how that works in Win10.
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Oct 1 2019, 07:17 AM
Post #159

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

Have you tried using 'Task View'? When used it will show you all open windows. You can then close each one. Not sure about a batch close.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 1 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #160

🌟Computer says no🌟

It's the batch close I miss. It's tedious to click each X. sad.gif

@Christian I never used Win7, so I don't know about that feature.
User is offlinePM

22 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:18 AM