The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linking webspace to domain name, I need help!!
sezoz
post Jan 8 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,500

Hello - this is a really simple question for anyone that knows anything about web design... but I don't! tongue.gif
I'm setting up a website for my wedding wub.gif and have been given webspace by my ISP that has a rubbish & complex domain name. So, I bought a domain name I wanted, but I have no idea how to link the two. My site is all uploaded to my webspace, but I want to be able to type in the name I bought and it bring up the pages on my ISP-provided webspace.
I hope this makes sense to somebody and that one of you lovely people can help! Please make it as simple as possible as I'm completely computer illiterate!!
Thanks in advance,
Sarah biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jan 8 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Hi! tongue.gif

This web space you have, is that free space offered by the ISP that provides your internet connection?

I'm asking, because then what you normally do probably won't work. When you host a domain properly, the host will give you the names (or numbers) of his name servers. You go to your registrar and change the DNS settings to point to your host's name servers and the host takes it from there.

If you can't do that, you may be able to redirect the domain to your ISP account. Most registrars offer this for free. That means the domain will be redirected to your front page, but when people click on links to other pages at your site the address will change to the real one.

Registrars often also offer something called cloaked redirection. If you use this the address will stay the same but that's only because they use frames to do it. I wouldn't recommend this option. People may want to bookmark individual pages and so on and that's troublesome with frames.
User is offlinePM
KristinK
post Jan 9 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,508

123ehost.com has domain name forwarding for $6 a year. They help me a lot with questions too. They will probably set it up if you ask!
Kristin
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:24 AM