The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Deliberate DSN-Less Connection to SQL Server Database, Convert Error Message to Meaningful Text
JohnnySteel
post Nov 5 2018, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,307

Sorry, the heading should read "Deliberate DSN-Less Connection Failure to SQL Server Database". I couldn't change this as there does not appear to be means to do so.

I'm getting an (expected) error message with a DSN-Less connection to a SQL database on a SQL Server that says:

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e4d'
Login failed for user '<username>'"

Now, i know why the connection failed as it was deliberate on my part to cause this error. I want to trap this error and convert it to text to say the database is not available, such as when it is shut down to do software maintenance on it, etc., rather than display the error message like the one given above.

How do i trap this error and convert it into some meaningful text on the web page to say the database is not available?

The code i am using is ASP Classic.

Thank you.

This post has been edited by JohnnySteel: Nov 5 2018, 10:41 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
CharlesEF
post Nov 12 2018, 12:49 PM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

I haven't used vbscript in many years but I don't think it supports try/catch (unless it was added in recent years). In that case 'ON ERROR RESUME NEXT' is the way to go. I believe there should be a 'On Error GoTo 0' at the end, to turn on error checking again.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:10 PM