> How bad is Win 10?
pandy
post Oct 10 2019, 06:38 AM
Post #181

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(Christian J @ Oct 10 2019, 11:42 AM) *

Maybe there's a memory leak or other bug in the photo program that got worse the longer it was left running?

How would that explain the .tmp file?

I never use hibernation anymore since I got a PC with SSD.

I never used it BEFORE I got an SSD. biggrin.gif

Before I just let the computer go to sleep during the day and turned it off when I went to sleep or was out. Booting took too long time. Now when it's so quick I think it's great to be able to just leave things I'm working with and find them as they were when I boot up. Probably save some energy too. Compared to sleep mode, that is.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Dec 20 2019, 11:59 PM
Post #182

🌟Computer says no🌟

If anyone reads and wants to know the thrilling end of the story... tongue.gif

I did find a replacement for PhoA. It's called digiKam and is open source, so free of charge. It's of course a lot more sleek than the 20 year old PhoA and does a lot more. Only complaint is that it sorts groups (called tags) alphabetically while I could order them as a pleased in PhoA. But the advantages of modern software shine in many ways.

It's a little buggy in some respects. I had to reinstall it and after that everything except geo tagging worked as it should and that doesn't matter because I have another program that does that better and much faster.

It's a little annoying that standard features are often given fancy names nowadays. For example what I would call Folders or Folder View (i.e. you see your actual file system) digiKam calls Albums. I was asked to enter a base directory and then it happily imported everything from there, or so I thought. So I started to rename, regroup and move things around in what I thought was my virtual library. Only to realize I was actually working with the real disk files. Oops! Well, I was able to get everything back to where it should be.

It's fast. It has a lot of sorting and labeling options and some editing options that I'm never going to use. And, as long as you understand that Albums are actually physical folders it doesn't touch your files. Neither does it copy them and build a huge database from them.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 21 2019, 12:14 AM
Post #183

🌟Computer says no🌟

It's a long time since I was this titillated about hunting for and trying new software, so I think I need to talk a little about geo tagging too. biggrin.gif

I'm in need of a new RAW converter and am trying out darktable among others (also open source actually). I think it is a keeper. I may buy something later on, but for now it does more than I need.

Since I was only interested in the RAW process I didn't look at other features, but now I saw one called Map. It's a dream come true! I've tried a lot of geo tagging programs and web based services. The web things actually work best. The principle is the same if you don't already have a KML file or similar with tracked coordinates. You put a pin on a map and the coordinates of the pin are added to the image file's EXIF. Click, click, click. Next image, new pin and so on.

Here's where darktable shines. It lets you drag multiple images from a "film roll" to different locations on the map. So you can do a whole bunch of images in one fell swoop! Instead of a couple of minutes per image it takes a couple of minutes for a whole day's or week's worth of shooting.

It's worth getting the program for this alone if you have the need for this kind of geo tagging.
https://www.darktable.org/

Since it open source, I think a little promotion is OK, right? tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jul 3 2020, 02:07 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 7

Finally installed Feature Update 1909. Anything to look out for?

So far I've just noticed that the Search app now lists your most used programs and files.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 3 2020, 02:30 PM
Post #185

🌟Computer says no🌟

Don't know. Seems 1909 is a pending update for me.

So far the updates have only caused improvements to my crappy windows install. At long last I can turn off UAC and for example file associations work a little better. Drag and drop still doesn't work with my most used programs.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jul 3 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #186

Oh, I had to unplug and replug the headphones again, in order to get any audio. This happens after every feature update. rolleyes.gif
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Jul 4 2020, 12:33 AM
Post #187

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

Version 2004 is around the corner. It has already been offered to my computer once but failed to install. It hasn't been offered again, yet.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 4 2020, 02:12 AM
Post #188

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jul 3 2020, 10:29 PM) *

Oh, I had to unplug and replug the headphones again, in order to get any audio. This happens after every feature update. rolleyes.gif

Funny. I've had a problem a while that I didn't have before. Not always, but sometimes, especially if I watch SVTPlay (but I don't see how it could be their fault), the sound disappears if I switch between speakers and headphones. I need to unplug, stop what I'm watching, start the video again and then plug in again. Then the sound is back.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jul 15 2020, 05:54 PM
Post #189

When I logged in to Windows after an update, the new Edge browser autostarted, tried to login to my (nonexistent) Microsoft Account and opened a "welcome" slideshow. When trying to close the browser, it wasn't possible with the normal controls. The [X] button was disabled. Right-clicking and choosing Close Window in the taskbar was disabled too. Finally I could get rid of it from Task Manager.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 15 2020, 06:45 PM
Post #190

🌟Computer says no🌟

Cozy. IPB Image
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 21 2020, 02:11 AM
Post #191

🌟Computer says no🌟

I got that too now, but I only got a Welcome Back page and I was allowed to close the browser.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 31 2020, 08:37 AM
Post #192

🌟Computer says no🌟

So far the updates have made improvements to my wonky windows installation. For example file associations work better now. Text files open in Notetab and I don't have to right click and use Send to. Drag and drop still only works with selected programs, of course it doesn't work with the programs I use the most... I have been able to turn off UAC a while also.

But the latest update seems to have screwed some things up, mostly setting. Just now I discovered the Run thingie didn't save history again. You (Christian) helped me with the before. Now I found the setting myself. The odd thing is it's been several days since I installed a Windows update and this happened just now. I use Run all the time, so I'm sure.

Why do they mess with settings? It's so annoying! ninja.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jul 31 2020, 02:30 PM
Post #193

When trying to login the other day I got a splash screen saying:

Let's finish setting up your device

Your device needs to connect to a few more Microsoft services to help you work more easily and securely across all your devices.

...followed by ads for Onedrive, Microsoft 365 subscriptions, etc. In the bottom left corner was a small, ominous "Skip for now" link that closed it. This showed up after a Windows Defender update, maybe they sneaked it in there or maybe it came with the 1909 update but was set on a timer. Is the aggressive marketing from the "Get Windows 10" campaign making a comeback?

I also seem to have a lost a couple of file associations, but most seem to work.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 17 2020, 06:22 PM
Post #194

🌟Computer says no🌟

Where the *** is Edge? I actually haven't looked for it before. There was (of course) a shortcut on the desktop and I've used that. But now I wanted to point another program to Edge. If I look at Properties for the shortcut the Target field is greyed out and can't be scrolled so I can read all of it. When I search disk for microsoftedge Everything finds 5701 objects! ohmy.gif

Figured out the file I want probably is called microsoftedge.exe, but there are several of that too. Does the thing keep updating itself and older versions are saved? Why? And which one should I use? This one?
"C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\MicrosoftEdge.exe"

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Aug 17 2020, 07:49 PM
Post #195

Programming Fanatic

My Edge is located at '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" --profile-directory=Default'. This is copied from my taskbar shortcut.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 17 2020, 08:08 PM
Post #196

🌟Computer says no🌟

You mean the Quick Launch bar? Then I guess you found it and placed it there yourself?

This is very strange. I don't have any msedge.exe. And the shortcut I have doesn't lead to one of those simply called microsoftedge.exe either. I can't be bothered to try to type this, so another screencap it is. Notice the exclamation mark. The part of the path that's visible doesn't match any of the microsoftedge.exe I found.

Oh my. Win95, why did you leave me?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 17 2020, 08:31 PM
Post #197

🌟Computer says no🌟

Jesus almighty...
https://superuser.com/questions/950435/wher...aunch-it/950457

"Unfortunately the MicrosoftEdge.exe can not be run by double clicking and creating a normal shortcut will not work."
That probably means it's very hard to launch it from another program that isn't MS-centric.

Just find microsoftedge.exe is one suggestion. Well, nice. If there weren't a bunch of them. And why is yours called msedge.exe? Can you run that one by clicking on it? Or create a shortcut to it for that matter?
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Aug 18 2020, 12:20 AM
Post #198

Programming Fanatic

If I remember correctly, I pinned it to the quick launch bar from the desktop icon after it was installed. I put all my browsers/development apps handy during writing/testing. I do have a 'Microsoft Edge' entry in the menu. It is listed in the M section. You don't?

Yes it runs fine, I can even copy the path I posted into a 'Run' box and it works.

This post has been edited by CharlesEF: Aug 18 2020, 12:27 AM
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 18 2020, 04:57 AM
Post #199

🌟Computer says no🌟

I do have it on the start menu, but since Properties aren't available on the start menu I can't find the path from there either.

I have Classic Start Menu installed. I dragged the shortcut from the desktop to there. Didn't help. The path is still grayed out.

Well, I guess it isn't possible to launch Edge from another program with a simple path.
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Aug 18 2020, 12:24 PM
Post #200

Programming Fanatic

One thing I forgot to mention. To see 'Properties' from a quick launch icon you need to hold down the SHIFT key then right click the icon. At the same time, I've seen icons where is doesn't work.
User is offlinePM

22 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:12 AM