Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creating Line Breaks Inside a Nested List
nootkan
post Jul 16 2021, 01:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,016

Hello all, this is my first post.

I have medium experience with html/css and can usually solve a lot of my issues with a little time and google. This one has me stumped.

I am trying to create a nested list of ol and ul with line breaks between the paragraphs inside the li tags that will validate.

The site I am working on isn't live but local so I cannot provide a link.

I can however provide an image of what it looks like now.

This is what I have now and is the look I want for the page but won't validate because of the paragraph tag inside the li tag:

CODE
<ol><li>How do you plan to fish this weed-bed?<ul><li><p>Long-Range and Very Slowly!</p></li><p>Why? Clear-water is why! It's not dark anymore. The fish can see you, even before you can see them. Even through your $100 polarized sunglasses.</p><li><p>Begin fishing this weed-bed in layers! Take it apart, area by area!</p></li><li><p>ALWAYS begin your retrieve BEFORE the lure touches the water!(fewer hang-ups, immediate hook-sets and less splash on lure-entry)</p></li><li><p>Any time that you fish a clear-water area or weed-bed, make long-distance casts or PITCH your spinnerbait to your target.</p></li><li><p>Accuracy is extremely important when 'pitching' a spinnerbait or any other type of lure.</p></li><p>So, if you are not accurate enough right now to hit within an inch or two from what you cast to, spend a few hours a week for the next couple of weeks standing on the back porch steps pitching to a coffee can.</p><p>It'll be well worth your time!</p></ul><li>What do you do right now?<ul><li><p>Approach a weed-bed only under electric power.</p></li><li><p>Never approach a weed-bed that you intend to fish any closer than 100 feet with the gas-motor running!</p></li><li><p>Begin your approach to the weed-bed by stopping-dead about twenty-five to 50 feet from the nearest obvious corner of the area.</p></li></ul></li><li>Lure choice?<ul><li><p><span class="articleColor">LURE:</span>Spinnerbait.</p><p>Why? Because it's the perfect lure to attack the entire targeted area!</p></li><li><p><span class="articleColor">COLOR:</span> white/silver glitter, or pearl white/minnow-flash glitter or chartreuse/silver-glitter or silver/silver-glitter.</p><p> Why? Because the lighter/brighter colors are easier for both the Bass & for you to see.</p><p>Especially at the longer distances that you'll have to remain at to properly fish this area.</p></li><li><p><span class="articleColor">BLADE(s):</span>Single blade; hammered-Nickel, Deep-cupped Colorado.</p><p>Why? Lots of flash in the crystal-clear water. Lots of vibration. The deep-cupped blades will begin rotating as soon as they hit the water.</p><p>That means that the flash & vibration begins immediately!</p></li><li><p><span class="articleColor">WIRE:</span> medium weight wire, NOT HEAVY WIRE and with a short or standard arm length.</p><p>Why? Make the lure work for you! Let the lighter wire transmit the vibration of the blades. The shorter arms allow fewer hang-ups in the weeds.</p></li></ul></ol>

I've tried changing the p tags to divs and styling the divs with padding but that didn't achieve the same look. Also tried using just span tags and they didn't work either. Nothing I try seems to validate.

Any advice or solutions greatly appreciated.

IPB Image
IPB Image

This post has been edited by nootkan: Jul 16 2021, 01:58 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Jul 16 2021, 02:22 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

Hello! smile.gif

The UL and OL elements can only contain LI as their direct child elements. But you can use P elements inside those LI elements.
User is offlinePM
nootkan
post Jul 16 2021, 02:46 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,016

Hi Christian J, thanks for your reply.

After reading your post I went back and looked over my code because I thought that I had followed that rule when creating the list.

However, what I didn't realize was that there were a few closing li tags where they shouldn't have been.

Once I removed them, voila it validates!

Appreciate your support!

Also I see no way to mark this post as solved. I tried to edit my original subject but cannot.

This post has been edited by nootkan: Jul 16 2021, 02:49 PM
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jul 16 2021, 03:12 PM
Post #4

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

You're welcome!

QUOTE(nootkan @ Jul 16 2021, 09:46 PM) *

Also I see no way to mark this post as solved. I tried to edit my original subject but cannot.

There is no such thing, also editing can only be done for an hour.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:45 PM