The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is there anyway to bypass using a DSN?
Pluribus
post Feb 26 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,737

Hi

I am building a webshop for a customer who wishes to use access database to dynamically serve content to his pages. This - at the moment - is not causing problems.

Unfortunately I cant find a way of setting a DSN with his hosting provider and their online helpdesk are useless, thinking I want to change DNS instead.

Is there any way round using a DSN? In my limited knowledge it is required in order to tell the site which database to read.

Your help will rewarded with loads of good karma!

Cheers

Ian
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
pandy
post Feb 27 2011, 03:43 AM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

DSN = Data Source Name?

I don't know, but it would probably help if you let people know what database you are using. Also, do you want to do this programmatically (since this is the scripting forum)?
User is offlinePM
Pluribus
post Feb 27 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(pandy @ Feb 27 2011, 03:43 AM) *

DSN = Data Source Name?

I don't know, but it would probably help if you let people know what database you are using. Also, do you want to do this programmatically (since this is the scripting forum)?

Yes, I do mean Data Source Name. My customer wants to use an Access database to serve the content. I have done this several times before with no problems. I just cant find a way of setting the DSN with his particular host.

The DSN is referred to in a (VB?) code portion of the asp page. I would like to know if there is a way of referencing the database - which would be in the same directory as the site pages - without using a DSN.

I am asking in this forum as when I first started using dynamic webpages and asked a question in the main html forum, it was invariably moved here.

Thanks

Ian
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 27 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

I suspected that since every mention of DSN I found concerned MS products. Sorry, don't know the first thing about this and I don't think other regulars around here do either, but I could be wrong about that of course. Sometimes they surprise me. happy.gif

I am asking in this forum as when I first started using dynamic webpages and asked a question in the main html forum, it was invariably moved here.

I was thinking if there was a direct way to do this, through some kind of CP, or if you were doing it with a script. We have a database forum. If you want I can move the thread there. It's not because I'm overly orderly, but I think some guys read only the forums they are of special interest to them, so maybe you would stand a better chance there. Don't know.
User is offlinePM
Pluribus
post Feb 27 2011, 10:25 AM
Post #5

Hi Pandy

Yes please, if the database forum is a better place for this I would appreciate the move.

Cheers

Ian
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 27 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

Oki. Fasten your seatbelt.
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post Mar 1 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #7

Jocular coder

Member No.: 43

It's likely no-one here knows much about MS stuff. Why would anyone _want_ to know about MS stuff?
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:29 PM