Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A little help please
DWFII
post Jan 2 2020, 10:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,109

Hello. New member here. I hope this is in the right thread.

I need a little help with a webpage that I have put together.

I have been creating webpages, with photos and so forth for over twenty years. Almost off of it in html using a text editor or using a rather rudimentary html editor such as Coffee Cup. I have never had this problem before.

I am the Web manager and Admin for my Trade Guild. Years ago I created a webpage that opened up a series of photos (thumbnails), in a table, which when clicked upon opened to a larger photo. I am 74 now and needed to do something very similar for another set of photos. so I simply opened the original webpage in CoffeeCup and created a new html using the exact same header, etc.. Each photo was called and displayed as a jpg from a secondary .htm.

As I went along I frequently previewed the results--CoffeeCup allows you to use an external viewer, which in this case in the latest version of Firefox running on a Win 10 pro system. As I worked through the photos, editing them and positioning them, each one appeared in the opening window/webpage correctly.

Finally I was done. I uploaded the files to the server and called the webpage form Firefox. The webpage displayed as it should except for three thumbnails and photos almost at the start of the body.

I went back and checked the code...it was identical (as far as I can see) for all the photos and dependent htms. I went back and checked the photos thinking there might be corruption , if only because the missing photos/thumbnails has a 'broken' symbol.

I cleared the cache. I checked the webpage in Edge...same problem.

I created a 'new' smaller, test html webpage and it too displayed fine in the viewer (also in Kompozer) but not from the internet.

I am at a loss. I don't know what I am missing or overlooking. I would appreciate some help.

The test page can be found here

I can offer the original html code if that would be helpful and the offending photos as well.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jan 2 2020, 02:40 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

It's a matter of case. Unlike Windows most other operating systems are case sensitive. dog.jpg, Dog.jpg and dog.JPG are three different files on such a system. Your server seems to be Linux based. You link to 'pink goat skin interior.jpg' but the image is called 'Pink goat skin interior.jpg' with a capital P. smile.gif

The spaces in the file names are also a potential problem. Spaces aren't allowed in URLs and should be URL encoded in the image tags, i.e. replaced with a special character sequence, %20. Like this.

CODE
pink%20goat%20skin%20interior.jpg

Most browsers mend this mistake nowadays and insert the %20 for you, as you can see if you load one of the images directly in FF. I would still suggest you fix this. The best is to not use spaces in file names to avoid complicated and hard to read URLs. You can use for example underscore or hyphen as a word separator instead. Also use all lower case file names (unless you develop a system with meaning for you and keep to it strictly). Descriptive names as you have are good, so keep that.

CODE
pink_goat_skin_interior.jpg

Another good thing is that you didn't put an index file in the test directory. Made it easy for me since I could see the file listing and didn't have to guess on the file names.

Cool shoes BTW! happy.gif
User is offlinePM
DWFII
post Jan 2 2020, 04:49 PM
Post #3

Doh!! Thank you!!

I haven't had time to check out your suggestions but I printed it out. Sounds about right. I should have caught that because those are the kind of things that always trip you up. I suppose at my age I should be happy I still can do it even if it is a bit halting and clumsey.

Again thank you.
User is offlinePM
DWFII
post Jan 2 2020, 06:52 PM
Post #4

Hurray! Worked a treat.

BTW and FWIW, those photos are part of a larger photo collection here which now needs to be vetted by one of our Guild (The Honourable Cordwainers Company) members who is considered one of the foremost shoe historians in the world--second only to June Swann, Past Keeper of the Collection at the Northampton Shoe museum in Northampton England.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jan 2 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #5

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

You are welcome and thanks for showing the shoes. Some of those would sell today, you know. Amazing.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:44 AM