The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using supposedly undefined and/or undocumented HTML tags, Validity of using single-letter tags - g, j, t, x, y, z
frankosport15
post Nov 8 2015, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,724

Greetings ....

The vast majority of HTML coders out there understand the language's rules, and will for the most part adhere to such rules. However, there are a few folks who like to experiment and tinker with the language just to see what happens.

In my case, I have experimented with what are supposedly undefined and/or undocumented single-letter tags -- specificly <g> <j> <t> <x> <y> and <z> (and the corresponding endings </g>, </j>, etc.). Now, one is obviously aware that there other tags starting with "t" such as <table> <thead> <textarea> and <title>. But <t> on its own seems to operate without any conflicts or other problems.

My experiments with these single-letter tags have involved the most recent versions (typically 2010 or after) of the Firefox, Opera. MS-IE and Google Chrome browsers, both on my computer and on the WWW. So far, all browsers have accepted my codings without issue.

These single-letter tags will accept CSS coding (style="" or class="") as well as the Title="Subject" element although Title is never used unless there is an absolute specific need for it. I haven't tried the single-letter tags with anything else so far. BTW -- They work in Javascript code, too. Can't speak for other languages.

Here's some sampler code you can try yourself ...

<div style="margin: 25px; text-align: justify;">
<t class="font3b">PGA Tour Money Charts Index</t>
<BR>
<li><g class="tab15 font2b">$2.00 to $3.99 million</g>
<BR>
<li><j class="tab15 font2b">$4.00 to $5.99 million</j>
<BR>
<li><x class="tab15 font2b">$6.00 to $7.99 million</x>
<BR>
<li><y class="tab15 font2b">$8.00 to $9.99 million</y>
<BR>
<li><z class="tab15 font2b">$10.00 to $20.00 million</z>
</div>

font3b = user-defined CSS code for Arial font, 12 pt, bold
font2b = user-defined CSS code for Arial font, 10 pt, bold
tab15 = user-defined CSS code for specific spacing {padding: 0 15px;}

I've posted this for a few reasons ...

(1) To see if anyone else has ever experimented with these undocumented (and supposedly undefined) tags

(2) To learn if there may be conflict issues using these particular tags in certain situations.

(3) To find out if these particular single-letter tags had ever officially existed before, or if there may be plans to officially introduce one or more such
tags for specific purposes which may not be compatible with how they are used the sampler shown above.

Thanx-A-Lot, FrankoSport15
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Nov 9 2015, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Don't like donuts. Don't do MySpace.

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

I wasn't even aware that all mayor browsers allowed styling of bogus elements now.

downside, they are dysfuntional without CSS, but so is for instance span. i don't see the point though since you class them anyway. do you want to create another layer of specificity?

as far as i know none of those element names has been used before, so they should be safe that way. but the next version of html could introduce new elements and one of them could be called one of the names you use. so, imo not a good idea.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 9 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(frankosport15 @ Nov 9 2015, 04:23 AM) *

(1) To see if anyone else has ever experimented with these undocumented (and supposedly undefined) tags

XML lets you define any elements/tags you want. In HTML, at least http://quirksmode.org/ has done some browser tests with custom <ppk> tags.

(2) To learn if there may be conflict issues using these particular tags in certain situations.

An unknown element lacks all semantic and/or structural meaning, so browsers or search engines won't know what it's used for. For example:

CODE
<h1>...</h1>

is a recognized top level heading, but a custom

CODE
<topheading>...</topheading>

element is unknown to all but the author. Similarily, a recognized link:

CODE
<a href="...">...</a>

makes the browser perform a certain function, but a "custom link" like this:

CODE
<customlink url="..">...</customlink>

won't cause any action on its own.

So if you want an element to have a known semantic meaning, or perform a certain function, use official well-supported elements. If OTOH the element doesn't need any special meaning or function (besides styling), it's safer to use SPAN or DIV with a CLASS value attached, like this:

CODE
<span class="topheading">...</span>

IE8 and older seemed to have problems styling unknown elements, for a workaround see http://diveintohtml5.info/semantics.html#unknown-elements

(3) To find out if these particular single-letter tags had ever officially existed before, or if there may be plans to officially introduce one or more such tags for specific purposes which may not be compatible with how they are used the sampler shown above.

No idea about those particular single-letter elements, but now when I searched for "custom html elements" I found this new spec in the making: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/03/in...ustom-elements/ wacko.gif

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 9 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Christian J @ Nov 9 2015, 03:42 PM) *

No idea about those particular single-letter elements, but now when I searched for "custom html elements" I found this new spec in the making: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/03/in...ustom-elements/ wacko.gif

Yeah. With JavaScript.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 9 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 9 2015, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Christian J @ Nov 9 2015, 03:42 PM) *

Yeah. With JavaScript.

Yeah. wacko.gif

At first glance I don't see the point, since you can add javascript functionality to existing HTML elements too. Maybe the new spec makes the process more practical.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 9 2015, 04:04 PM
Post #6

things are getting very complicated.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 9 2015, 06:08 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 9 2015, 10:04 PM) *

things are getting very complicated.

I think it's on purpose. Spec writers want to make a living writing more specs forever, ditto for validator writers, browser developers and web designers. Like a bureaucracy of code. happy.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 9 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #8

And blog software creators. soon no one will be able to write a simple page for themselves without a lot of experience.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2020 - 08:26 AM