Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Auto-updating calendar...cms or php?
npessoa
post Nov 29 2006, 03:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,156

Hi, all:

Quick question: I'm searching for a way to automate the archiving of entries in a list-style calendar. Right now I'm using cutenews for whole articles and am displaying calendar information as text using a php include - but it's getting a little cumbersome to constantly delete old entries and move up new ones by hand.

http://www.harpjas.com/main.php

Is there a way I can automate this? Either with a database, php, or do you think it would require some sort of conversion to a fancy CMS? I have looked into CMSs before because it seems so useful to have all the different module functions housed in one place, but I can't ever seem to get past the fact that they (Mambo, etc.) usually force you to use their templates, and I'd like to keep my original design... just automate some of the back-end stuff.

thanks for your help!

NP
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
John Pozadzides
post Dec 4 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #2

WDG Founder

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(npessoa @ Nov 29 2006, 02:03 PM) *
I'm searching for a way to automate the archiving of entries in a list-style calendar. Right now I'm using cutenews for whole articles and am displaying calendar information as text using a php include - but it's getting a little cumbersome to constantly delete old entries and move up new ones by hand.

http://www.harpjas.com/main.php

Is there a way I can automate this? Either with a database, php, or do you think it would require some sort of conversion to a fancy CMS?

I'm not sure that I can add a lot of value because I haven't attempted to do this anywhere yet. I had a need for a similar system, but it was on a site that was running forum software which had built-in calendaring functionality so that took care of the issue.

What you are searching for however is not a simple calendar script, but specifically an "event calendar script".

Here is the HotScripts calendar listing page. A few that I found which look particularly useful:
myEvent
CalendarTechnique
silentum event calendar
SuperCali

I'm not sure that any of these are going to allow you to format the list of events the way you currently have them, which looks very nice by the way, but these would all allow you to have a management interface and allow visitors to choose by month, day, etc.

Good luck and I hope this helped a little.

John
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:06 AM