Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Custom form not always sending information, Help
crc
post May 31 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,791

Hello,

I hope I can find someone that's can look over my for on my website and help me solve a few issues. I had my site built about 2 years ago and have made modification to it on a regular basis. At one point I switched hosting companies and have constanly had issues with the form. Anyway I'm sure with me editing my site from time to time I created the problem. I have 2 ways to go, I can either repair the current custom form,sendinfo.php and script.js or use Godaddy.com PHP form mailer. The problem is that this is over my head. Free advice is fine,but if it requires a small fee I'll pay it. From time to time I have applicants call in and ask about the status of thier application and I tell them I didn't recieve thier information. I have tested my form many times and every now and then It doen't work.

My website is www.driverscdlstaffing.com
The page I have an issue with is : http://www.driverscdlstaffing.com/cdl_truc...pplication.html

My site is hosted by godaddy.com. I haven't been able to understand how to use thier PHP from mailer and support doesn't seem to be able to help me. I attached the documents below if you need them. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Curtis Carpenter.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  cdl_truck_driver_application.html ( 59.87k ) Number of downloads: 792
Attached File  sendinfo.php ( 21.05k ) Number of downloads: 554
Attached File  script.doc ( 74.5k ) Number of downloads: 2164
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post May 31 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Your form has no action attribute. Please see the FAQ entry How do I use forms?
User is offlinePM
crc
post May 31 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ May 31 2008, 01:29 PM) *

Your form has no action attribute. Please see the FAQ entry How do I use forms?

Thanks, I've tried everything and still no luck. I inserted this below and it doesn't work at all. This is what godaddy.com says do.

To Use webformmailer.php
Create a Web form, assigning unique names to your form fields.
In the form tag, assign /webformmailer.php to the action attribute and set the form method to post:

<form action="/webformmailer.php" method="post">
In addition to the form fields you create, there are three hidden elements you can use.
form_format determines in what format the information is delivered. Its values are 'text', 'csv', 'html', 'xml', and 'default' (same as 'text').

form_order dictates in what order the fields are reported. Its values are 'default' (the same order as they appear on in the form), 'alpha' (alphabetized by field name) or a comma-separated, case-sensitive list of all or some field names.

form_delivery determines the frequency and packaging of deliver. To receive one email per form submission, the form_delivery values are 'default' (every 15 minutes), 'hourly', and 'daily'. To have receive all submissions in an attachment of one email, the form_delivery values are 'digest', 'hourly_digest', and 'daily_digest'.

For example:

<form action="/webformmailer.php" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="subject" value="Submission" />
First Name: <input type="text" name="FirstName" />
Last Name :<input type="text" name="LastName" />
Email: <input type="text" name="email" />
Comments: <textarea name="comments" cols="40" rows="10">
Type comments here.</textarea>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="submit"/>
<input type="hidden" name="form_order" value="alpha"/> <input type="hidden" name="form_delivery" value="hourly"/> <input type="hidden" name="form_format" value="html"/> </form>

Still no luck! I've done all I can do.

Thanks,

Curtis Carpenter
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post May 31 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #4

WDG Member

I can't see your change. What happens when you submit the form using that markup?
User is offlinePM
crc
post May 31 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ May 31 2008, 07:46 PM) *

I can't see your change. What happens when you submit the form using that markup?

It just refreshes the page and no data sent.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post May 31 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #6

WDG Member

That sounds like what it does now, with no action attribute. Are you sure you updated the form correctly? Can you post the URL (address) of a document that shows your best attempt?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jun 1 2008, 01:40 AM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Also, what script do you want to use? The sendinfo.php you posted ot your host's?
User is offlinePM
crc
post Jun 1 2008, 06:55 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ May 31 2008, 10:17 PM) *

That sounds like what it does now, with no action attribute. Are you sure you updated the form correctly? Can you post the URL (address) of a document that shows your best attempt?

Good Morning! With the form setup like it is now it has worked 5 times in a row for me. I don't know how to post the URL address of a document. The reason I changed it back to the way it was is because it wasn't working at all. Thanks for your help. I'm going to insert the code given to me by godaddy.com and I'll copy and paste it below. Is there anything that needs to be changed on the sendinfo.php or script.js files? With the code just like it is now it's works most of the time, which I don't understand because you and a few other people told me that I needed a action attribute added. So I added this and it just sends me to the homepage with no data sent.

This is what I installed which dosen't work. <form action="/webformmailer.php" method="post">.

Sounds like I truly have a custom form that's a nightmare. To answer your question, No I'm not certain I'm installing it correctly. Since this is a forum and it says no commercial solicatation, Am I out of line to offer to pay a fee? Ifso, I'll need to know the fee to make sure I can afford the fee!

Thanks,

Curtis Carpenter.
678-840-2315
User is offlinePM
crc
post Jun 1 2008, 07:17 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(pandy @ Jun 1 2008, 02:40 AM) *

Also, what script do you want to use? The sendinfo.php you posted ot your host's?

I really don't care, I just want it to work, but ideally since it's a custom form that's sends a popup confirmation box upon submittal that states that the information was sent. probably the sendinfo would be best. Remember I don't know so anything I'm saying is a guess at best. I can make changes but it doesn't mean I understand them when it comes to forms. I just changed it to this:
<form id="form" class="style6 "style="margin-top:0px"form action="/formailer.php" onsubmit="return terms()">

It worked, but I'm not sure it will work every time, but it also worked most of the time without the
form action="/formailer.php" added. So I guess i try it several times throughout the day to see if it works everytime.

Thanks,

Curtis Carpenter

This post has been edited by crc: Jun 1 2008, 08:15 AM
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jun 1 2008, 09:56 AM
Post #10

🌟Computer says no🌟

It cannot work without an action.

Well, if you want to use your own script you should put the path to that in the action.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jun 1 2008, 04:20 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(crc @ Jun 1 2008, 02:17 PM) *

I just changed it to this:
<form id="form" class="style6 "style="margin-top:0px"form action="/formailer.php" onsubmit="return terms()">

The syntax is slightly incorrect (not only in the example but also on the web page).
User is offlinePM
crc
post Jun 1 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(pandy @ Jun 1 2008, 10:56 AM) *

It cannot work without an action.

Well, if you want to use your own script you should put the path to that in the action.

OK, That sounds good, but I don't know what to put. Any help will be gretatly appreciated.

Thanks,
User is offlinePM
crc
post Jun 1 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jun 1 2008, 05:20 PM) *

The syntax is slightly incorrect (not only in the example but also on the web page).

What is the correct syntax? I do understand just a little but most of this is greek to me. any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your input.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jun 1 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #14

WDG Member

As far as I can tell, your form is submitting data to your /sendinfo.php just fine. Do you see anything in the server error files?
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jun 2 2008, 05:42 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(crc @ Jun 2 2008, 03:46 AM) *

What is the correct syntax? I do understand just a little but most of this is greek to me. any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your input.

There's an extra "form" right before the ACTION attribute:

CODE

Also I can't remember if you're allowed to leave out spaces between attributes, such as between CLASS and STYLE here:

CODE
class="style6 "style="margin-top:0px"

(the validator seems to accept it), but it might confuse some browsers.

BTW there's no METHOD attribute specified. The default value is GET, is that intended? (I only took a quick look at the attached PHP script.) See also http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/forms/form.html
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jun 2 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #16

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(crc @ Jun 2 2008, 03:42 AM) *

OK, That sounds good, but I don't know what to put. Any help will be gretatly appreciated.

The URL to your script.
User is offlinePM
crc
post Jun 2 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jun 2 2008, 06:42 AM) *

QUOTE(crc @ Jun 2 2008, 03:46 AM) *

There's an extra "form" right before the ACTION attribute:

CODE

Also I can't remember if you're allowed to leave out spaces between attributes, such as between CLASS and STYLE here:

CODE
class="style6 "style="margin-top:0px"

(the validator seems to accept it), but it might confuse some browsers.

BTW there's no METHOD attribute specified. The default value is GET, is that intended? (I only took a quick look at the attached PHP script.) See also http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/forms/form.html

Thanks, I changed it to this:

<form id="form"class="style6"style="margin-top:0px"action="sendinfo.php"onsubmit="return terms()">

I cleared the spaces and tried the app and it seem to work OK. But you brought up an interesting argument that style and class code might confuse some browsers. How would I correct this and still keep the same style. As far as the get action, I tried that and I keep getting a internal configuration error message when I hit submit. Anytime I remove return trems() the form doesn't work. I believe my form , script, and sendinfo.php are all custom and they require much more knowledge that I have to make them work. The guy that wrote the custom form and files is no longer around , so I'm having to try and correct myself. So if the class and style can confuse browsers how would correct that and get the same style where needed? Here's the 1st few line on mt sendinfo.php file:

<?php
if (! $_GET) {
$_GET = "$HTTP_GET_VARS";
}

if (! $_POST) {
$_POST = "$HTTP_POST_VARS";
}

if (! $_SERVER) {
$_SERVER = "$HTTP_SERVER_VARS";
}

Does this tell you anything?

Thanks

This post has been edited by crc: Jun 2 2008, 09:55 AM
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jun 2 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #18

🌟Computer says no🌟

<form id="form"class="style6"style="margin-top:0px"action="sendinfo.php"onsubmit="return terms()">

This would be a tad more readable.

HTML
<form id="form" class="style6" style="margin-top:0px" action="sendinfo.php" onsubmit="return terms()">

I don't think spaces between attributes are needed if their values are qouted, but I couldn't read a page of code run together like that. Worse was that you had added spaces inside the attibute values. Did those things really work?

class="style6 "

Browsers aren't confused about style and class per see. I think Christian meant that your unorthodox quoting and spacing might confuse them. wink.gif
User is offlinePM
crc
post Jun 2 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(pandy @ Jun 2 2008, 11:36 AM) *

This would be a tad more readable.

HTML
<form id="form" class="style6" style="margin-top:0px" action="sendinfo.php" onsubmit="return terms()">

I don't think spaces between attributes are needed if their values are qouted, but I couldn't read a page of code run together like that. Worse was that you had added spaces inside the attibute values. Did those things really work?

class="style6 "

Browsers aren't confused about style and class per see. I think Christian meant that your unorthodox quoting and spacing might confuse them. wink.gif

Thanks for the information, I edited the code and spaced it as you suggested. I don't normally work around code so the spacing looked good to me , but since you routinely look at code, I'm sure it looked like a complete mess. That may have been my problem from the very beginning. I'll try this and see if maybe I have better results.

Thanks again
User is offlinePM
crc
post Jun 2 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jun 1 2008, 05:20 PM) *

Hello,

I have made many corrections as suggested but still having problems. I have recieved over 20 emailed forms today but I just had someone call me and tell me that they tried to complete the application and it just refreshed the page and they lost all the input information! Any suggestions? This is the change:<form id="form" class="style6" style="margin-top:0px" action="sendinfo.php" onsubmit="return terms()">. Could it be in the submit part of the form?

Thanks,

Curtis Carpenter
User is offlinePM

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:27 PM