Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Placeholder attribute IE8 vs IE11
jedip
post Mar 15 2020, 07:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,234

Hello,
My work place uses IE11 or so I thought, I tried using the placeholder attribute on my web form but it's not working. I looked at the dev tools and noticed
the page is running in Enterprise Mode and emulating IE8. Would this be the reson why it's not working? The baffling thing is I went to the W3SCHOOLS website
and tried the exmple of the placeholder code running on thier website and it works? My question is, what factors prevent the placeholder attribute from working, is it using the older broswers, or can it
can it be an issue our web server, or the fact that a web page is not using HTML5.

thanks

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Mar 15 2020, 05:04 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(jedip @ Mar 15 2020, 01:21 PM) *

I looked at the dev tools and noticed the page is running in Enterprise Mode and emulating IE8. Would this be the reson why it's not working?

Maybe, can't remember for sure. According to https://caniuse.com/#feat=input-placeholder it's supported from IE10.

The baffling thing is I went to the W3SCHOOLS website and tried the exmple of the placeholder code running on thier website and it works?

Why not make a test page that emulates IE8 and test it in your own IE11?

My question is, what factors prevent the placeholder attribute from working, is it using the older broswers, or can it
can it be an issue our web server, or the fact that a web page is not using HTML5.

The web server or HTML5 shouldn't matter, AFAIK.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:38 AM