The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blank Screen After Submitting Contact Form, My php file is not working correctly
Themond
post Jun 4 2015, 08:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,561

Hello all today I uploaded my website to my server and when I went to test it I found two big errors.

1. My website will not show up on google for some reason so I had to type http://www.demondweb.com to get to my site.

2. When I went to test my contact form I would get a blank screen after submitting it no errors just a white empty screen.

my website is here at http://www.demondweb.com

I filled out my mata tags so I don't know why it didn't show on google.
As for the php file there was no errors as for as syntax so kinda lost on that note.

There is a attachment containing my website files

Attached File(s)
Attached File  contact.php ( 1.94k ) Number of downloads: 191
Attached File  index.html ( 19.03k ) Number of downloads: 282
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Jun 4 2015, 10:57 AM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Maybe because none of your content shows when JavaScript is disabled/unavailable.

See also the FAQ entry:
http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/publish.html#index-better
User is offlinePM
Themond
post Jun 4 2015, 01:00 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Jun 4 2015, 11:57 AM) *

Maybe because none of your content shows when JavaScript is disabled/unavailable.

See also the FAQ entry:
http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/publish.html#index-better

Can you explain that in more detail there is usually a "Active X" pop up that enables the java-script, or if that's the issue how can I fix this.

Sorry for the triple post earlier I didn't notice until I left to go to a meeting, my computer had froze when I submitted it

This post has been edited by Themond: Jun 4 2015, 01:01 PM
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jun 4 2015, 01:48 PM
Post #4

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Themond @ Jun 4 2015, 03:27 PM) *

1. My website will not show up on google for some reason

Getting a new site listed in a search engine may take some time (not sure how long nowadays). Have you submitted your site to Google? You should be able to do that here: http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url but when I follow that link Google wants me to sign in with my email and password. wacko.gif Another way to be found might be to let other legitimate sites link to yours.

2. When I went to test my contact form I would get a blank screen after submitting it no errors just a white empty screen.

The HTML form fields contain no NAME attributes, these are needed for the PHP script to work. In particular, the PHP script looks for the field "contact_email" first thing, if it's missing the script won't even print out any error messages.

User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jun 4 2015, 01:59 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Themond @ Jun 4 2015, 08:00 PM) *

Can you explain that in more detail there is usually a "Active X" pop up that enables the java-script, or if that's the issue how can I fix this.

It appears the page does have real content (HTML and text), but it's hidden by CSS and is only unhidden if your visitors have javascript enabled. As the site owner you don't have to change anything in your own browser (except for testing).

Search engine indexing bots (like Google's) should have no problem reading the HTML and text content (though they might frown upon javascript dependency, since it might be regarded as seach engine manipulation in some cases). Personally I think you just need to wait a while for Google to find your site, but you should still avoid javascript dependency for accessibility reasons.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jun 4 2015, 02:15 PM
Post #6

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I use Firefox, so ActiveX is irrelevant.

I use NoScript to disable JavaScript except for whitelisted sites. When I first bring up your site, there is nothing there except the spinning "busy downloading" background image.

Search engines frown on sites providing content to them that humans don't see, including content that is hidden with CSS. I don't know how they evaluate that sort of think currently, as it's something of a trade secret, and is always changing.
User is offlinePM
Themond
post Jun 4 2015, 02:38 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jun 4 2015, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Themond @ Jun 4 2015, 03:27 PM) *

1. My website will not show up on google for some reason

Getting a new site listed in a search engine may take some time (not sure how long nowadays). Have you submitted your site to Google? You should be able to do that here: http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url but when I follow that link Google wants me to sign in with my email and password. wacko.gif Another way to be found might be to let other legitimate sites link to yours.

The HTML form fields contain no NAME attributes, these are needed for the PHP script to work. In particular, the PHP script looks for the field "contact_email" first thing, if it's missing the script won't even print out any error messages.

Oh okay maybe it was because I forgot to un-comment my label tags, Let me un-comment those label tags and see if that fixes it.
I also submitted my website to google I'll wait to see what happens with that also.

This post has been edited by Themond: Jun 4 2015, 02:40 PM
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jun 4 2015, 04:21 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Themond @ Jun 4 2015, 09:38 PM) *

Oh okay maybe it was because I forgot to un-comment my label tags, Let me un-comment those label tags and see if that fixes it.

No, LABEL elements don't matter to the PHP script. It's the NAME attributes you need:

CODE
<input type="text" name="contact_name" id="contact_name" class="form-control" placeholder="Name" />
<input type="text" name="contact_email" id="contact_email" class="form-control" placeholder="Email Address" />
<textarea name="contact_message" id="contact_message" class="form-control" rows="7" placeholder="Write a message"></textarea>

(there might be other issues too, but start with the above).

User is offlinePM
Themond
post Jun 4 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jun 4 2015, 05:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Themond @ Jun 4 2015, 09:38 PM) *

No, LABEL elements don't matter to the PHP script. It's the NAME attributes you need:

CODE
<input type="text" name="contact_name" id="contact_name" class="form-control" placeholder="Name" />
<input type="text" name="contact_email" id="contact_email" class="form-control" placeholder="Email Address" />
<textarea name="contact_message" id="contact_message" class="form-control" rows="7" placeholder="Write a message"></textarea>

(there might be other issues too, but start with the above).

Thank you Christian that seemed to do the trick now I get back to setting up the email smile.gif
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:26 AM