Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HTML in the 90s
Nir
post Apr 27 2023, 07:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,915

HTML looked differently back when CSS was not yet invented and stabilized.

Tags and attributes were added to the language to extend it with styling features.

Check out this video to learn how this used to look like and more about the history of HTML:

Link to HTML in the 90s video
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Apr 27 2023, 08:40 AM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I was working at Sun Microsystems when everyone started talking about "that Mosaic thing". Back then, we didn't even call it the web, or the World Wide Web. And the IT department was trying to figure out how to charge departments for the excess bandwidth consumed by employees using the Mosaic browser.
User is offlinePM
Nir
post Apr 27 2023, 09:07 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Apr 27 2023, 08:40 AM) *

I was working at Sun Microsystems when everyone started talking about "that Mosaic thing". Back then, we didn't even call it the web, or the World Wide Web. And the IT department was trying to figure out how to charge departments for the excess bandwidth consumed by employees using the Mosaic browser.

Nice 😂

Though the web was pretty light back then, did it still result in high amounts of bandwidth? was it over the phone modem?
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Apr 27 2023, 12:39 PM
Post #4

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE(Nir @ Apr 27 2023, 06:07 AM) *
Though the web was pretty light back then, did it still result in high amounts of bandwidth? was it over the phone modem?
I suppose it could have been used over a modem using Lynx, but I don't recall any of my coworkers using it that way. Everyone was using Mosaic, which supported inline images. By today's standards, the external bandwidth wasn't much. And we certainly used plenty of internal bandwidth with NFS, email, and other tools. But compared to the miniscule external bandwidth that we had been using, "that Mosaic thing" used a lot of external bandwidth.

My guess is that most of our external bandwidth before that was for things that didn't have to be done in real time (e.g., USENET and email). The big change with "that Mosaic thing" was that it was done in real time, like FTP requests, only using much more external bandwidth than we had ever used for FTP.
User is offlinePM
Nir
post Apr 27 2023, 02:23 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Apr 27 2023, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Nir @ Apr 27 2023, 06:07 AM) *
I suppose it could have been used over a modem using Lynx, but I don't recall any of my coworkers using it that way. Everyone was using Mosaic, which supported inline images. By today's standards, the external bandwidth wasn't much. And we certainly used plenty of internal bandwidth with NFS, email, and other tools. But compared to the miniscule external bandwidth that we had been using, "that Mosaic thing" used a lot of external bandwidth.

My guess is that most of our external bandwidth before that was for things that didn't have to be done in real time (e.g., USENET and email). The big change with "that Mosaic thing" was that it was done in real time, like FTP requests, only using much more external bandwidth than we had ever used for FTP.

Got it, interesting smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Apr 27 2023, 04:05 PM
Post #6

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

I didn't get (consumer) Internet until 1998 or so. At first I used a 28kbps phone modem, which worked fairly well when viewing lighter pages. But by that time there were already lots of "designer" sites filled with bloated HTML code, such as layout tables nested ten levels deep and with lots of FONT elements and transparent "spacer" GIF-images. Holding the mouse at the ready while waiting for such pages to load could result in quite a bit of wrist strain.

To minimize ISP bills I used to open lots of pages at the same time, so I could read them offline once they had finished loading, but all these browser windows in turn made the PC run out of RAM and become extremely sluggish.
User is offlinePM
Nir
post Apr 28 2023, 02:15 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Christian J @ Apr 27 2023, 04:05 PM) *

I didn't get (consumer) Internet until 1998 or so. At first I used a 28kbps phone modem, which worked fairly well when viewing lighter pages. But by that time there were already lots of "designer" sites filled with bloated HTML code, such as layout tables nested ten levels deep and with lots of FONT elements and transparent "spacer" GIF-images. Holding the mouse at the ready while waiting for such pages to load could result in quite a bit of wrist strain.

To minimize ISP bills I used to open lots of pages at the same time, so I could read them offline once they had finished loading, but all these browser windows in turn made the PC run out of RAM and become extremely sluggish.

😂 You could also just download to the hard disk. Didn't the browser cache the pages though? I think internet explorer saved the offline pages on your drive so when you visited again it would save bandwidth
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Apr 28 2023, 07:08 AM
Post #8

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Nir @ Apr 28 2023, 09:15 AM) *

😂 You could also just download to the hard disk. Didn't the browser cache the pages though? I think internet explorer saved the offline pages on your drive so when you visited again it would save bandwidth

True, but while the pages first loaded you had to keep their windows open. Of course, ideally you could just load a single page at the time in the background while reading the previously opened one, but since links on pages often branched out in all directions -- and you didn't know which of them to continue with -- you were often tempted to open them all. laugh.gif
User is offlinePM
Nir
post May 1 2023, 02:35 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Christian J @ Apr 28 2023, 07:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Nir @ Apr 28 2023, 09:15 AM) *

True, but while the pages first loaded you had to keep their windows open. Of course, ideally you could just load a single page at the time in the background while reading the previously opened one, but since links on pages often branched out in all directions -- and you didn't know which of them to continue with -- you were often tempted to open them all. laugh.gif

oh ok that makes sense 😂
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:33 AM