> How bad is Win 10?
pandy
post Feb 15 2021, 11:19 AM
Post #241

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

You can't expect me to know things like that! Do you think I read the manual? 😠

I *think* it is the feature that lets you mirror other devices on the screen. I did try that with my phone when the screen was new, but my phone didn't support it. Of course.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Feb 15 2021, 01:14 PM
Post #242

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Feb 15 2021, 05:19 PM) *

You can't expect me to know things like that! Do you think I read the manual? 😠

Someone's gotta do it. tongue.gif

I *think* it is the feature that lets you mirror other devices on the screen. I did try that with my phone when the screen was new, but my phone didn't support it. Of course.

Never heard of it before.

User is online!PM
pandy
post Feb 15 2021, 02:14 PM
Post #243

🌟Computer says no🌟

Of curse you haven't. cool.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Feb 15 2021, 06:28 PM
Post #244

But what is its real name in Windows?
User is online!PM
pandy
post Feb 16 2021, 02:44 AM
Post #245

🌟Computer says no🌟

Windows isn't involved. It's between the screen and the other device. You connect the phone or whatever it is directly to the screen. It's a feature of the screen (an to an extent of the other device). I think it can also be done with a TV or for example a gaming console.

It was the only extra feature I wanted to try when the screen was new. I sometimes use a service that lets me send SMS from the PC. It synchs with the phone. But sometime it doesn't. So I need to check on the phone that the text got through (and if it hasn't I can't be sure if the other party has received it anyway...). Yeah, I sometimes have rather involved SMS conversations and I suck at texting so to be able to use the keyboard is good. And sometimes I want to spy on the GPS game I'm playing. So it would be handy to have the phone in a little window on the screen at times.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Feb 16 2021, 07:47 AM
Post #246

QUOTE(pandy @ Feb 16 2021, 08:44 AM) *

Windows isn't involved. It's between the screen and the other device. You connect the phone or whatever it is directly to the screen. It's a feature of the screen (an to an extent of the other device). I think it can also be done with a TV or for example a gaming console.

Oh, never heard of that either. The visual effect seems to be called Picture in Picture, but does the technology have a generic name or is it different for every manufacturer?
User is online!PM
pandy
post Feb 16 2021, 08:27 AM
Post #247

🌟Computer says no🌟

No idea. Wasn't something I looked for. This screen just happened to have a lot of extras. Got tired reading about them. I don't even do things like synch stuff between computer and phone.

Since this is an OT thread anyhow, have you read the South-African mutation of covid has reached France? The vaccine probably don't protect against it. Antibodies don't. I'm seriously contemplating to take my hammock and my Trangia and move out in the woods. unsure.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Feb 16 2021, 01:28 PM
Post #248

QUOTE(pandy @ Feb 16 2021, 02:27 PM) *

Since this is an OT thread anyhow, have you read the South-African mutation of covid has reached France? The vaccine probably don't protect against it. Antibodies don't. I'm seriously contemplating to take my hammock and my Trangia and move out in the woods. unsure.gif

No, but I always assume news media exaggerate until proven otherwise. wacko.gif

Otherwise there's a thread here: https://forums.htmlhelp.com/index.php?showtopic=60152
User is online!PM
pandy
post Feb 16 2021, 02:22 PM
Post #249

🌟Computer says no🌟

Don't tell me you are a covid denier! biggrin.gif

Not much that can be exaggerated. One (1) Frenchman in intensive care with the mutation. He had had covid previously.

It's only one person, but since there are no signs of him having visited SA it means it's already here. And why wouldn't it be? It isn't stoppable. It was only a matter of when it would reach us. Maybe it's good things move so slowly in Sweden. Now everyone can maybe get the modified vaccine. And then the next mutation comes. I fear we'll be doing this for a long time.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 16 2021, 03:47 PM
Post #250

🌟Computer says no🌟

And I'm delirious. I meant the South American mutation. The South African one is already found in Sweden.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Feb 16 2021, 06:53 PM
Post #251

Where can we read about this?
User is online!PM
pandy
post Feb 17 2021, 03:37 AM
Post #252

🌟Computer says no🌟

The South American mutation I read about in SvD yesterday, but can't find the article again now. That the South African is already here I've read/heard at several places. The one I remember is the latest Corona special on SVT, yesterday.

If it works as it uses to, and why wouldn't it, the most viable mutations will take over and the other versions fade out and this happens fast. So the vaccine will be useless if not modified quickly.

At least here the number of sick people will go up by next week already. They have detected a large increase of the virus in the waste water. Don't know if they check that in all cities or if it's just us.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Feb 17 2021, 08:46 AM
Post #253

QUOTE(pandy @ Feb 17 2021, 09:37 AM) *

The South American mutation I read about in SvD yesterday, but can't find the article again now.

This one about Manaus: https://www.svd.se/ny-virusvag-i-amazonas-f...ryllar-forskare ? I'd never trust anything a journalist writes, here's a more detailed source: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/a...0183-5/fulltext

At least here the number of sick people will go up by next week already. They have detected a large increase of the virus in the waste water. Don't know if they check that in all cities or if it's just us.

I only follow https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09...e6f9f87457ed9aa --it might have stabilized on a medium-high level for February, but it's too early to tell if the declining trend since Christmas is broken.
User is online!PM
pandy
post Feb 17 2021, 01:40 PM
Post #254

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Feb 17 2021, 02:46 PM) *

This one about Manaus: https://www.svd.se/ny-virusvag-i-amazonas-f...ryllar-forskare ? I'd never trust anything a journalist writes, here's a more detailed source: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/a...0183-5/fulltext

No, it was about a man in FRANCE with the mutation.

I only follow https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09...e6f9f87457ed9aa --it might have stabilized on a medium-high level for February, but it's too early to tell if the declining trend since Christmas is broken.

Not likely. They are talking about the increase in your county right now on the news.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 17 2021, 04:57 PM
Post #255

🌟Computer says no🌟

An now we have a cluster outbreak of the South African mutation in Västmanland. 20 ppl, probably more. No one has been abroad. Bye-bye vaccine. In a short time this will be the dominant variant. sad.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 20 2021, 09:13 AM
Post #256

🌟Computer says no🌟

New Windows mystery.

I emailed a photo to myself to get it off my phone. From the email I saved it to a folder. When I wanted to attach it to another email it wasn't there. Thought I had saved it to the wrong folder, so I saved it again. And am told such a file already exists. Open it in IrfanView and try to save it. Same thing, already exists. I overwrite the invisible copy.

I can't see it when I open the folder. Some programs can't see it when I want to open it with them, some can (IrfanView). All programs I tried see it when I try to save a file with the same name in that folder but it still isn't visible to me in the folder view in the Save As dialogue.

The other files in the folder are fine and the image behaved normally when I saved it to another folder using the same name.

Nothing odd with the file name, my phones standard naming, IMG_20210220_144558024_1.jpg .

Not that it matters, it will probably never happen again. But anyway, what can cause this?
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Feb 20 2021, 09:50 AM
Post #257

I think that's happened to me too a few times when I've saved images to the desktop. Can't remember if it's happened with other file types, or if they were saved from emails or the browser. When at first I couldn't see the file I just assumed it was hidden among all the other icons, but eventually I became convinced it was actually invisible. When I viewed the desktop from Windows file system the file was there.
User is online!PM
pandy
post Feb 20 2021, 10:09 AM
Post #258

🌟Computer says no🌟

But I couldn't see mine with Explorer (or what it's called now).

Everything (the file indexer) could see it, so I deleted it from there. The folder I happened to use was a folder on my desktop that I use for test files from here. So if something was odd with that folder I would have noticed long ago. Still, it only happened when I saved to this folder. wacko.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Feb 25 2021, 07:58 AM
Post #259

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jul 31 2020, 08:30 PM) *

When trying to login the other day I got a splash screen saying:

Let's finish setting up your device

Your device needs to connect to a few more Microsoft services to help you work more easily and securely across all your devices.

...followed by ads for Onedrive, Microsoft 365 subscriptions, etc. In the bottom left corner was a small, ominous "Skip for now" link that closed it. This showed up after a Windows Defender update, maybe they sneaked it in there or maybe it came with the 1909 update but was set on a timer. Is the aggressive marketing from the "Get Windows 10" campaign making a comeback?

I also seem to have a lost a couple of file associations, but most seem to work.

Got this again.
User is online!PM
pandy
post Feb 25 2021, 09:55 AM
Post #260

🌟Computer says no🌟

Got something like that the other week. I managed to get passed it somehow, don't remember.

On a software related mailing list I'm on there is a browser war going on. One guy, that used to be sensible, thinks Edge is the best, most feature rich browser ever. He also thinks Windows 10 is the ultimate Windows. wacko.gif

I just wait for the day when MS fully teams up with Google and maybe some others like FB. When you install Windows you'll get automatically subscribed to all of them and they can share all your data amongst them.
User is offlinePM

22 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:24 PM