The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Search Engine Help with Data Base, How to get Search Engine to search by persons name
Lois Lane
post Jan 29 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,672

Hi Guys:

This is very new to me so please be patient. I am building a website that has a data base of thousands of people due refunds and I need for visitors to be able to enter their name and search to see if they are there. I have tried both google and Infusion for this task. I downloaded the html and then tried to search a persons name to see if the engine worked. Both engines came back as not found.

Is there a special set up I need to adhere to for the engine to pick up the name? Right now it is set up very simply name, address, date, refund number, and amount due. What am I doing wrong and how can I get this to work?

2-If their search is successful. I would like to have a button come up where they can pay the "Finders FEE" and then download the information needed to claim their money.

I have tried everything...we'll I am missing something or it would be done.

Please help

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Brian Chandler
post Jan 29 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #2

Jocular coder

Member No.: 43

It's not clear what you mean by "database" and "search engine" (or more honestly, it's clear you don't really know what these terms mean).

The obvious way to do this is to have the data (1000s of entries) in a database (such as MySQL), and use a web page including a database lookup. What is this "html" that you downloaded, and where did you download it from?

User is offlinePM
Lois Lane
post Jan 30 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,672

HI Brian:

I have built a trail web site in Front Page. Currently there is the index.html and one page of names, addresses, etc uploaded into the site until I can get this figured out. I want a person to be able to search their name on the site and be able to find out if there name and refund in due in the listing. I downloaded google custom search and selected for my site. (You can go to http://www.untiedrefund.info to view the site that I am working on, maybe that will help) When I put a name in like Bradly Fry which I know is in the refund listing the search comes back as does not exist. Now I know I have done something incorrectly I just don't know what. I would appreciate any assistance you can give.

Thanks so much
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jan 30 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #4

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at www.untiedrefund.info.
Did you mean http://www.unitedrefund.info/ ?
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post Jan 30 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #5

Jocular coder

Member No.: 43

I have built a trail web site in Front Page. Currently there is the index.html and one page of names, addresses, etc uploaded into the site until I can get this figured out. I want a person to be able to search their name on the site and be able to find out if there name and refund in due in the listing.

"Trail web site"... ? Trial?

Do you just plan to have a (single?) page listing all the names and addresses? Then the visitor can use ctrl-F (or similar) to look for their name on the page.

But your page currently does not include any names or addresses. Where are they?
Google site search will just find things on published pages (how else would it find them?!)...

Currently the search does not find words on the page that are visilibe, like "Programs", so you may have to wait until the googlebot indexes your page. (I think you have to provide a lot more information for anyone to be able to help you.)
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:26 AM