... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Copyright issues w/ images.
JoOWiTHaU
post Sep 20 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 183

First of all, I'd just like to say the new forums look great. This website and the community has been great to me with all my dumb web questions!

Would anyone happen to know what the deal is with copyright issues on photography that's not my own? More specifically, I'm making a website for an author who just wrote a book on Woodward and Bernstein (the jounalists who worked on Watergate), so I've been searching google for images of Woodward and Bernstein and have found many. Would it be illegal for me to just use any photograph I find of them? Are the laws different in my case? Anyone who knows anything about this sorta legal stuff and can help me out would be a great help.

Thanks!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
JoOWiTHaU
post Sep 20 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 183

thanks for the suggestions both of you. jim, im not too keen on legal stuff so what exactly would that mean "get a release" for myself?

pandy, i need high resolution images, so unfortunately the ones on wikipedia wont work for me. i didnt have any luck finding any free press images on woodward and bernstein either. thanks anyway.
User is offlinePM
jimlongo
post Sep 20 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #3

This is My Life

Member No.: 16

i didnt have any luck finding any free press images on woodward and bernstein either

the other option is to licence an image.

take this one for instance you could contact the owner of the copyright and ask them if you could use it. They may not let you, they may let you, they may want a fee to let you.
Often (again my experience is with music) if it is for a non-profit or low budget use, the copyright holders may licence it to you for an agreeable term.

Check this page, they have a form to request the use of images
this page

This post has been edited by jimlongo: Sep 20 2006, 07:29 PM
User is offlinePM

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:26 AM