Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HTML Form load Data
Dayna
post Nov 10 2014, 04:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,793

I am making a Form and I was wondering if it was possible to make a Form Cell load data from a hyperlink from another site.

Like if I have

Pearson 1456 and I have it as a URL Link I want the form to load "Pearson 1456" on a a form field named Description on the next page. Is this possible with html? Basically the same as an email link and adding a subject line to the link for when you click on it, it loads what you specify as the subject.

Thanks,
Dayna
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Nov 10 2014, 05:23 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Dayna @ Nov 10 2014, 10:01 PM) *

Basically the same as an email link and adding a subject line to the link for when you click on it, it loads what you specify as the subject.

That's called a URL's querystring, and is the part of an URL that follows an "?" character. Forms that use the GET method creates this automatically of the form fields' NAME/VALUE pairs. For example, this form:

CODE
<form method="get">
<input type="text" name="x" value="1">
<input type="text" name="y" value="2">
<input type="submit" value="Send">
</form>

should result in the following querystring

CODE
x=1&y=2

(unless the user changes the text field values before submitting). You can also create an ordinary link with a querystring in it:

CODE
<a href="index.html?x=1&amp;y=2">querystring example</a>

(the "&" character must be written as an HTML entity in links, compare http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html.en#amp ).

Is this possible with html?

You need a scripting language to access the querystring and write HTML. Client side javascript can be used, but a server side script like PHP is more reliable.

Note that a user can create his own potentially malicious URL (or trick someone else to load it). For example, a URL might be used to inject HTML into the web page that rewrites it completely, so the script must be able to handle any kind of user input without undesired consequences.
User is offlinePM
Dayna
post Nov 10 2014, 05:40 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,793

Thank you! That is a big help.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:15 AM