pandy
post Nov 8 2022, 08:22 PM
Post #341

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(Christian J @ Nov 8 2022, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 8 2022, 02:52 PM) *

It has happened again, but this time I'm not aware of a Windows update, which doesn't mean it couldn't have happened anyway. Could it be that FF tries to force you you to update when you don't OK its prompts for a while? glare.gif

Which version do you have? My FF says that 106.05 is the latest.

You mean what I had? No idea. Now I have the latest or what was the latest yesterday...

I've recieved several FF updates the last few days, so I guess there were many bugs needing fixing.

Maybe, but the site worked fine until recently.

This time it was a dropdown menu at at forum I use to read that all of a sudden wasn't styled anymore. It's list based so it covered more than a screen height, maybe two. First I thought the site had been hacked, but once I scrolled down everything else was there below the unstyled menu and worked as it should.

You mean none of the CSS worked? If parts of it worked, you might check to see if some third-party file for the manu styling failed to load.

As said, only the menu. Yes, but why only in FF?

I get a little tired of their frequent updates sometimes.

I guess their workforce needs to make themselves useful, first by creating more features nobody wants, then fix all bugs said new features have introduced. mellow.gif

I actually miss the days when we waited for the next update and looked forward to it. laugh.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Nov 9 2022, 09:05 AM
Post #342

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 9 2022, 02:22 AM) *

You mean what I had? No idea. Now I have the latest or what was the latest yesterday...

Just so you could check if FF forced updates.

Maybe, but the site worked fine until recently.

I meant maybe one of those recent updates broke something.

As said, only the menu. Yes, but why only in FF?

Did you try several times in FF? Maybe it was just a network error. Or maybe there is/was a bug in FF's handling of Ajax requests.

It could also be the website design that relies on 3rd party files being loaded in the correct order, so a download delay of one might cause intermittent errors. Next time you see something like this, check the Inspector's javascript console and network log.

I actually miss the days when we waited for the next update and looked forward to it. laugh.gif

I suppose there are more than ten times more people working on it nowadays, all indirectly funded by Google. ninja.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 9 2022, 04:23 PM
Post #343

Also maybe look in the FF changelog, maybe they mentions something about having to adapt to recent Windows updates?

Also, if you have Firefox on your phone maybe you could check if that one's buggy too? That would rule out Windows 10.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 9 2022, 06:37 PM
Post #344

🌟Computer says no🌟

No, it was that way for at least a week. And as I said, it worked in other browsers.

Oh, I expressed myself clumsily. I didn't mean FF does a "windows" and pushes updates. I meant that maybe they deliberately break the version you have somehow to force you to download the update. But I don't really think that. tongue.gif

Still, it's odd similar things have happened twice and in both cases an update helped. blink.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 10 2022, 11:14 AM
Post #345

🌟Computer says no🌟

Didn't see your last question. Phone browser is fine, but the site uses a mobile style sheet, so it doesn't really say anything.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 23 2022, 05:35 PM
Post #346

🌟Computer says no🌟

So now I have no internet connection. I strongly suspect a windows update last night. I did have access after the reboot, but today - nothing.

Was on the phone with my ISPs support surely an hour. At first he didn't agree with me it could be the update. but after an hour he did. Everything looks fine from their end. It looks fine according to my router's little lamps too, 1 computer connected. Only it isn't. At least not to the internet.

Windows' trouble shooter tells me to connect an ethernet cable. Thanks for that. There is nothing wrong with the cables, I've tried several.

I'll connect the router my ISP provided tomorrow, I haven't even unpacked it, and call them back. That way they can do further trouble shooting. And probably see my panties too.

If it turns out not to be the update, I'll apologize to MS, but I think it is. It also put the darn search thing back on my desktop and probably other gruesome things I've yet to discover.

So typical this happens when there's holidays aplenty ahead. I'll use up all my mobile data in no time. I threw out my telly years ago, only use play services, so not many Christmas movies for me this year. ninja.gif

Just found this. I'lll try what they say, but I don't have high hopes.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-regain-i...date-windows-10
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 23 2022, 05:41 PM
Post #347

🌟Computer says no🌟

The first step is to reboot, and they give detailed instruction about how to do that. They also say "it's not for everyone". God help me. 😂
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 23 2022, 08:04 PM
Post #348

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 23 2022, 11:35 PM) *

So now I have no internet connection. I strongly suspect a windows update last night. I did have access after the reboot, but today - nothing.

I lost mine too the other day, but it started working after rebooting.

Was on the phone with my ISPs support surely an hour. At first he didn't agree with me it could be the update. but after an hour he did.

Have you tried using your phone for the PC's internet connection (with USB tethering)? That might give more clues.

Windows' trouble shooter tells me to connect an ethernet cable. Thanks for that. There is nothing wrong with the cables, I've tried several.

I suppose it could be a PC hardware error as well (e.g. the network card). unsure.gif

I'll connect the router my ISP provided tomorrow, I haven't even unpacked it, and call them back. That way they can do further trouble shooting. And probably see my panties too.

Have you tried connecting the PC directly to the internet media box (i.e, use no router)?

I haven't had a TV for 20 years, my virgin eyes can't believe the depravity on display in other people's homes when I go visiting. ninja.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 23 2022, 09:14 PM
Post #349

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Dec 24 2022, 02:04 AM) *

Have you tried using your phone for the PC's internet connection (with USB tethering)? That might give more clues.

Of course. But I'll run out of mobile data if this continues over the holidays. I don't understand how you mean that would help though?

I suppose it could be a PC hardware error as well (e.g. the network card). unsure.gif

I suggested that, but support didn't think so. Don't know why.

Have you tried connecting the PC directly to the internet media box (i.e, use no router)?

Sure. Doesn't make a difference.

I haven't had a TV for 20 years, my virgin eyes can't believe the depravity on display in other people's homes when I go visiting. ninja.gif

True. It's only getting worse. But there are the occasional movie, documentary and even series worth watching. But I don't need a big ugly thing taking up space for that.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 24 2022, 04:57 AM
Post #350

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 24 2022, 03:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Christian J @ Dec 24 2022, 02:04 AM) *

Of course. But I'll run out of mobile data if this continues over the holidays. I don't understand how you mean that would help though?

It should mean your PC still works in at least some ways. Have you tried accessing your ISP's internet connection from your phone, using the router's Wi-Fi? That should confirm if they still work.

I suggested that, but support didn't think so. Don't know why.

I suppose it's rare for them to suddenly stop working. unsure.gif

Sure. Doesn't make a difference.

So Internet does work on the PC when you connect an USB cable to your tethered phone, but not with Wi-Fi or a network cable to the wall's fiber converter box?

True. It's only getting worse. But there are the occasional movie, documentary and even series worth watching. But I don't need a big ugly thing taking up space for that.

True, a while ago I saw a nice documentary about dinosaurs...
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 24 2022, 05:26 AM
Post #351

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Dec 24 2022, 10:57 AM) *

It should mean your PC still works in at least some ways. Have you tried accessing your ISP's internet connection from your phone, using the router's Wi-Fi? That should confirm if they still work.

I don't think it does. Same again, everything looks OK, but how do I know the phone actually uses the wifi? I went to one of those sites that shows your IP address, but it turned out I don't remember what it uses to be... So I turned off mobile data. Then I didn't get out. But I'm not sure if I should, if that also turns off data over wifi. unsure.gif

I suppose it's rare for them to suddenly stop working. unsure.gif

I still remember when I thought the computer was BSODed and it turned out it was the cable to the screen. That I hadn't touched since I first put it in. It just stopped working.

So Internet does work on the PC when you connect an USB cable to your tethered phone, but not with Wi-Fi or a network cable to the wall's fiber converter box?

Correct. That's how I use up my mobile data. ninja.gif

True, a while ago I saw a nice documentary about dinosaurs...

When it comes to SVT the best part is documentaries. The problem is they also want to compete with the commercial channels and produce a tremendous amount of silly entertainment shows, mostly retarded contests. Who watches things like that? It's hurtful to even watch 5 minutes.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 24 2022, 08:24 AM
Post #352

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 24 2022, 11:26 AM) *

how do I know the phone actually uses the wifi?

Does the router or fiber box indicate when data is transferred? unsure.gif

I went to one of those sites that shows your IP address, but it turned out I don't remember what it uses to be...

Apparently the host name for your latest forum post's IP is mobileonline.telia.com --do you get something similar when using the phone over Wi-Fi?

So I turned off mobile data. Then I didn't get out. But I'm not sure if I should, if that also turns off data over wifi. unsure.gif

I recall some phones' settings for this make no sense at all. But it should be possible to use Wi-Fi only in order to save data.

I still remember when I thought the computer was BSODed and it turned out it was the cable to the screen. That I hadn't touched since I first put it in. It just stopped working.

If you can't use neither Wi-Fi nor network cable now, that should rule out at least the cable, the contacts and the PC's Wi-Fi antenna. That USB tethering still works does make me suspect the network card. Perhaps you could try reinstall its drivers, just as a long shot?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 24 2022, 04:22 PM
Post #353

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Dec 24 2022, 02:24 PM) *

Does the router or fiber box indicate when data is transferred? unsure.gif

Not that I know. Just that wifi is on and working.

Apparently the host name for your latest forum post's IP is mobileonline.telia.com --do you get something similar when using the phone over Wi-Fi?

Stupid me, I didn't think about looking the number up. That is the phone's IP. I use Fello for the phone, which is owned by Telia. And, alas Telenor, formerly Bredbandsbolaget, for the fiber.

So I turned off mobile data. Then I didn't get out. But I'm not sure if I should, if that also turns off data over wifi. unsure.gif

I recall some phones' settings for this make no sense at all. But it should be possible to use Wi-Fi only in order to save data.

No idea. I don't find anything in settings.

If you can't use neither Wi-Fi nor network cable now, that should rule out at least the cable, the contacts and the PC's Wi-Fi antenna. That USB tethering still works does make me suspect the network card. Perhaps you could try reinstall its drivers, just as a long shot?

The computer doesn't have wifi. I've tried the drivers, but I only get the option to look for it on my harddisk. I don't know how to find it on the net, manually. But I've let windows install all updated it can find. I've also done a Network reset, whatever that does.

I'm even more stupid! I of course just check what IP my phone has with and without wifi on. It's the same. So the phone can't use the router's wifi. This should mean the fault isn't with my computer, right?

Furthermore I removed my old Netgear router and plugged the one provided by my ISP in instead. I don't get out with that either, so that should mean the fault isn't with the router either. Provided I did everything right. That router looks very complicated, but that's because it has ports for TV, phone and god know what. I think I plugged the cables in the right holes and that should be enough. Diodes were shining happily.

Didn't have time to call support before they closed, but I'll do that tomorrow with their router plugged in.

We had problems with their equipment down in the cellar about a year or two ago but I was the only one affected. They said the stuff was old and that they would change it altogether. But then they only fixed what was wrong with my part of it and I had to wait for 3 weeks for that. It was under one of the covid bouts and the company they use for repairs hardly had any technicians standing. So first I suspected that was the problem again. But support gets all the way to my router, can measure the speed at different points and so on, so that doesn't seem likely. On the other hand they first said everything was OK from their end last time too. I had to call again and got another support person that got a different result. He couldn't, or wouldn't, explain to me how come the first support person got a different result... ninja.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 25 2022, 07:13 AM
Post #354

🌟Computer says no🌟

Yet another hour on the phone with support. He didn't get it either, but their "network technicians" will look into it but they won't start until the 28th. Then they'll probably send a technician out. I don't have big hopes that will happen before NY. ninja.gif

I also found my old network cable and plugged it in. No go. It's old and worn, but worked just fine when I replaced it, so now I'm sure it's none of the cables. It must be the IP's gear.

But now I have another mystery for you. As said I didn't use the IPs router, I had my own. My phone was connected with wifi. When I had switched to the IP's router my phone still said it was connected to the wifi on the old, now unplugged, router and that the signal was very strong. Stupid phone I thought and turned wifi off in the phone. Later I turned it on again. Again it says it's connected to the wifi on the old router (I've named it). That router is unplugged - from everything. It's powerless. I haven't configured anything on the new router. Wifi is on by default and seemingly works out of the box. But why does my phone say it's using the named wifi on my old router? wacko.gif

BTW wifi between router and phone has worked all the time. I use a program on the computer that lets me send and receive SMS on the computer. It has worked splendidly all through. It synchs with the phone if the phone is connected with wifi to the same network as the computer is connected to (with cable, in my case).
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 26 2022, 10:32 AM
Post #355

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 24 2022, 10:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Christian J @ Dec 24 2022, 02:24 PM) *

No idea. I don't find anything in settings.

I mean, why else would phones support Wi-Fi if you can't use it?

The computer doesn't have wifi. I've tried the drivers, but I only get the option to look for it on my harddisk. I don't know how to find it on the net, manually.

Once you've found the name of the card, you should be able to find any drivers on the menufacturer's website. But I doubt a new version is needed, unless the existing has become corrupted somehow. unsure.gif

Do you have Bluetooth on the PC? Does that work with e.g. the phone?

I'm even more stupid! I of course just check what IP my phone has with and without wifi on. It's the same. So the phone can't use the router's wifi.

That was the idea! smile.gif

This should mean the fault isn't with my computer, right?

I think so, assuming Wi-Fi was really on. When you enable Wi-Fi, check in the phone settings that you can see your own router's name as connected.

Another idea is to let your PC search for different routers, if it works like on my phone you should get a list of all Wi-Fi networks nearby (such as your neighbors' routers and TV sets). If you see your neighbors' router names but not your own, that could again mean the PC is OK.

Or try browsing into your router settings with a web browser from your PC (you shouldn't need an internet connection for that, just the IP of the router).

We had problems with their equipment down in the cellar about a year or two ago but I was the only one affected. They said the stuff was old and that they would change it altogether. But then they only fixed what was wrong with my part of it

Did you have separate hardware already down in the cellar? Where I live I think the fiber cables only branch out at every apartment. unsure.gif

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 26 2022, 08:27 PM
Post #356

🌟Computer says no🌟

Of course it can use it. But if it isn't available it just turns to mobile data while wifi is still on looking for available networks. And the phone IS connected to the routers wifi. It's just that the router doesn't get out on the internet, so the phone switches to mobile data for that but can still use wifi for local things, it seems, since my SMS program synchs just fine.

If the phone indicates that it isn't using the wifi it's connected to for internet, I don't know. It doesn't do it in an obvious way anyhow.

Do you have Bluetooth on the PC? Does that work with e.g. the phone?

Just via an USB dongle. I use it for my headset, but it doesn't seem to be useable to the phone.

Another idea is to let your PC search for different routers, if it works like on my phone you should get a list of all Wi-Fi networks nearby (such as your neighbors' routers and TV sets). If you see your neighbors' router names but not your own, that could again mean the PC is OK.

How do you mean? That I should connect to my neighbour's router? Wouldn't work anyay. My PC doesn't have wifi.

Did you have separate hardware already down in the cellar? Where I live I think the fiber cables only branch out at every apartment. unsure.gif

I don't. Telenor does. You probably have that too somewhere in the house, if you live in an apartment. There's a whole central down there. Looks similar to the electrical stuff with kind of a box for each apartment.

BTW after everything was turned off during night, the phone does not think it's connected to the old router's wifi anymore. I don't know WTF happened there. It really was connected to the new router's wifi (without pin!), because the SMS synching worked. But chose to think it was the old router's wifi. I'm using the old router now since I need wifi for my texting needs, and can't be arsed to read the manual for the new router and set things up there. Tonight I'll have to switch to the new router though. I'm supposed to keep it on at all times while the Telenor technicians with super powers trouble shoot, but I got a text they wouldn't start until the 28th.

I'm getting a little bored. I have 19.94 + 25 GB mobile data left. But if I start to watch movies or a series it will soon be gone. The 25 GB is saved data. I don't want to dig into that already since this will probably last over new year. At least SVTPlay has a setting for low resolution that helps. The others don't AFAIK.

I think Telenor could have sent me a card with a shitload of data traffic on it for free! I didn't ask, but I did last time. Instead they sent me a new notwork cable both last time and now (only I didn't find the one I've already got now when I needed it to check if it was a cable error). I don't see how that helps. But it can be good to have a spare or I can give or sell them to someone in need.

Or I could hang myself in one of them and live stream it, like that guy on Flashback did. Holding a sign saying "Telenor drove me to this!". biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 27 2022, 11:33 AM
Post #357

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 27 2022, 02:27 AM) *

Of course it can use it. But if it isn't available it just turns to mobile data while wifi is still on looking for available networks. And the phone IS connected to the routers wifi. It's just that the router doesn't get out on the internet, so the phone switches to mobile data for that but can still use wifi for local things, it seems, since my SMS program synchs just fine.

But then you do have evidence that the PC and likely the router work, which was the whole point of the experiment. cool.gif

How do you mean? That I should connect to my neighbour's router?

Not connect, just test if the PC's Wi-Fi antenna works and can find them.

Wouldn't work anyay. My PC doesn't have wifi.

Now you confused me. Doesn't have a Wi-Fi antenna, or the antenna doesn't work? unsure.gif

I don't. Telenor does. You probably have that too somewhere in the house, if you live in an apartment. There's a whole central down there. Looks similar to the electrical stuff with kind of a box for each apartment.

I have a box inside/above my door, and another box with connections for computer and TV in my living room. Are you saying there are even more? wacko.gif

It really was connected to the new router's wifi (without pin!), because the SMS synching worked.

Maybe the new router is unrestricted by default? unsure.gif No idea how SMS synching works.

I'm getting a little bored. I have 19.94 + 25 GB mobile data left. But if I start to watch movies or a series it will soon be gone. The 25 GB is saved data. I don't want to dig into that already since this will probably last over new year. At least SVTPlay has a setting for low resolution that helps. The others don't AFAIK.

This seems like a good opportunity to detox yourself from lousy movies! I was going to suggest video games instead, but I guess the download would also make a dent in your data allowance.

I think Telenor could have sent me a card with a shitload of data traffic on it for free! I didn't ask, but I did last time.

Surely you can buy more data if needed? I recall it's not expensive.

Instead they sent me a new notwork cable

That's why it does not work! laugh.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 27 2022, 12:01 PM
Post #358

🌟Computer says no🌟

But then you do have evidence that the PC and likely the router work, which was the whole point of the experiment. cool.gif

Yes. We came to that conclusion the day before yesterday already. biggrin.gif
And I also know there's nothing wrong with my network cables. It's Telenor's *beep*.

Now you confused me. Doesn't have a Wi-Fi antenna, or the antenna doesn't work? unsure.gif

My computer doesn't have wifi. Period. It's a desktop. If you are thinking about the SMS synching the devices just need to be connected to the same network, how doesn't matter. My computer is connected by cable and my phone by wifi.

CODE
I have a box inside/above my door, and another box with connections for computer and TV in my living room. Are you saying there are even more? wacko.gif

That's a lot more! It isn't like your little cable is connected directly to the main cable under the street. I can post a picture of mine if I remember to take one.

Maybe the new router is unrestricted by default? unsure.gif

That would be horrible. And it didn't work the next day. Didn't check if the phone even saw the router's wifi, but it probably did but couldn't connect without pin.

This seems like a good opportunity to detox yourself from lousy movies! I was going to suggest video games instead, but I guess the download would also make a dent in your data allowance.

All movies aren't bad. I'm not into games.

You remember wrong. It's very expensive compared to what the plan costs. That's why I have a much bigger plan than I need. It's cheaper to pay for a too large plan all the time then to buy extra data you maybe need once a year. But I just discovered the have a special over the holidays. 50 GB for 195 SEK. I can buy that if I run out. I shouldn't have to. Telenor should give it to me, but... Otherwise their best option is 245 SEK for 10 GB.

rolleyes.gif Besides I don't use their cable. I don't know what it is. So there! biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 27 2022, 12:01 PM
Post #359

🌟Computer says no🌟

Yes. We came to that conclusion the day before yesterday already. biggrin.gif
And I also know there's nothing wrong with my network cables. It's Telenor's *beep*.

My computer doesn't have wifi. Period. It's a desktop. If you are thinking about the SMS synching the devices just need to be connected to the same network, how doesn't matter. My computer is connected by cable and my phone by wifi.

CODE

There's a lot more! It isn't like your little cable is connected directly to the main cable under the street. I can post a picture of mine if I remember to take one.

Maybe the new router is unrestricted by default? unsure.gif

That would be horrible. And it didn't work the next day. Didn't check if the phone even saw the router's wifi, but it probably did but couldn't connect without pin.

All movies aren't bad. I'm not into games.

You remember wrong. It's very expensive compared to what the plan costs. That's why I have a much bigger plan than I need. It's cheaper to pay for a too large plan all the time then to buy extra data you maybe need once a year. But I just discovered the have a special over the holidays. 50 GB for 195 SEK. I can buy that if I run out. I shouldn't have to. Telenor should give it to me, but... Otherwise their best option is 245 SEK for 10 GB.

rolleyes.gif Besides I don't use their cable. I don't know where it is. So there! biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 27 2022, 07:52 PM
Post #360

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 25 2022, 01:13 PM) *

But now I have another mystery for you. As said I didn't use the IPs router, I had my own. My phone was connected with wifi. When I had switched to the IP's router my phone still said it was connected to the wifi on the old, now unplugged, router and that the signal was very strong. Stupid phone I thought and turned wifi off in the phone. Later I turned it on again. Again it says it's connected to the wifi on the old router (I've named it). That router is unplugged - from everything. It's powerless. I haven't configured anything on the new router. Wifi is on by default and seemingly works out of the box. But why does my phone say it's using the named wifi on my old router? wacko.gif

That sounds like a bug, unless you've unknowingly used a neighbor's open Wi-Fi all the time. happy.gif

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 27 2022, 06:01 PM) *

My computer doesn't have wifi. Period.

Oh. No matter.

It's a desktop.

Desktop PC's can have Wi-Fi too if the network card supports it, I thought you used your router for that purpose.
User is offlinePM

22 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
35 User(s) are reading this topic (35 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:33 AM