> How bad is Win 10?
pandy
post Oct 10 2019, 06:38 AM
Post #181

Don't like donuts. Don't do MySpace.

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(Christian J @ Oct 10 2019, 11:42 AM) *

Maybe there's a memory leak or other bug in the photo program that got worse the longer it was left running?

How would that explain the .tmp file?

I never use hibernation anymore since I got a PC with SSD.

I never used it BEFORE I got an SSD. biggrin.gif

Before I just let the computer go to sleep during the day and turned it off when I went to sleep or was out. Booting took too long time. Now when it's so quick I think it's great to be able to just leave things I'm working with and find them as they were when I boot up. Probably save some energy too. Compared to sleep mode, that is.
User is online!PM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Dec 20 2019, 11:59 PM
Post #182

If anyone reads and wants to know the thrilling end of the story... tongue.gif

I did find a replacement for PhoA. It's called digiKam and is open source, so free of charge. It's of course a lot more sleek than the 20 year old PhoA and does a lot more. Only complaint is that it sorts groups (called tags) alphabetically while I could order them as a pleased in PhoA. But the advantages of modern software shine in many ways.

It's a little buggy in some respects. I had to reinstall it and after that everything except geo tagging worked as it should and that doesn't matter because I have another program that does that better and much faster.

It's a little annoying that standard features are often given fancy names nowadays. For example what I would call Folders or Folder View (i.e. you see your actual file system) digiKam calls Albums. I was asked to enter a base directory and then it happily imported everything from there, or so I thought. So I started to rename, regroup and move things around in what I thought was my virtual library. Only to realize I was actually working with the real disk files. Oops! Well, I was able to get everything back to where it should be.

It's fast. It has a lot of sorting and labeling options and some editing options that I'm never going to use. And, as long as you understand that Albums are actually physical folders it doesn't touch your files. Neither does it copy them and build a huge database from them.
User is online!PM
pandy
post Dec 21 2019, 12:14 AM
Post #183

It's a long time since I was this titillated about hunting for and trying new software, so I think I need to talk a little about geo tagging too. biggrin.gif

I'm in need of a new RAW converter and am trying out darktable among others (also open source actually). I think it is a keeper. I may buy something later on, but for now it does more than I need.

Since I was only interested in the RAW process I didn't look at other features, but now I saw one called Map. It's a dream come true! I've tried a lot of geo tagging programs and web based services. The web things actually work best. The principle is the same if you don't already have a KML file or similar with tracked coordinates. You put a pin on a map and the coordinates of the pin are added to the image file's EXIF. Click, click, click. Next image, new pin and so on.

Here's where darktable shines. It lets you drag multiple images from a "film roll" to different locations on the map. So you can do a whole bunch of images in one fell swoop! Instead of a couple of minutes per image it takes a couple of minutes for a whole day's or week's worth of shooting.

It's worth getting the program for this alone if you have the need for this kind of geo tagging.
https://www.darktable.org/

Since it open source, I think a little promotion is OK, right? tongue.gif
User is online!PM

10 Pages V « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th February 2020 - 11:40 AM