The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Page Numbering Or Line Numbering In HTML, Page Numbering And/Or Line Numbering Is Required During Editing Proces
HowdeeDoodee
post Jul 8 2021, 12:33 PM
Post #1

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,462

The end user does not need to see numbering. Purpose of numbering is to see line numbers or page numbers when I repair broken hyperlinks. When I run link checker, in order to repair the link I must know where the link is located. Numbers will run into 6 digits or more.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jul 8 2021, 01:16 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

How do you mean? For example https://validator.w3.org/checklink lists the broken links per document and line number. You see the line numbers when you open the document in a text editor. You may need to turn that feature on, but basically all editors should have it.
User is offlinePM
HowdeeDoodee
post Jul 19 2021, 10:33 AM
Post #3

Novice

Pandy, thank you for the reply. Sorry I took too long to answer back. I need a way to post a page number on every page so when I pull the page up from link checker, I will know the page number to go to in order to find the errors. There has to be a way to do this. Link checker has line numbers but I don't see any way to convert the line numbers from link checker into line numbers in Expression Web 4. This matter is so critical I hope I am missing something. Thanks in advance for your reply.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 19 2021, 10:44 AM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

There might be a way with JavaScript. Christan probably knows.

But what's the point in seeing the line number on the page in a browser? You can't correct anything there, you must open the html file in an editor anyway. Furthermore, what's a line on a HTML page? Lines wrap and they wrap at different points depending on text size, window size and whatnot. And if you manage to number the lines on the page their numbers won't correspond to the ones a link checker gives you. They refer to the line in the source.

One way to quickly find the spot is to copy either the link or the link text from the link checker's result page and use your editor's Find function to locate it in the source. Or use the same function in your browser to find it on the page, if you after all for some reason want to do that.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jul 19 2021, 11:37 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(HowdeeDoodee @ Jul 8 2021, 07:33 PM) *

The end user does not need to see numbering. Purpose of numbering is to see line numbers or page numbers when I repair broken hyperlinks. When I run link checker, in order to repair the link I must know where the link is located.

Page numbers and line numbers are different things. Only the latter makes direct sense to me, and then only if you view the page source in a text editor.

Numbers will run into 6 digits or more.

Do you mean the source code of each page is 100.000 lines or more? That sounds very large for a static web page. unsure.gif

QUOTE(HowdeeDoodee @ Jul 19 2021, 05:33 PM) *

I need a way to post a page number on every page so when I pull the page up from link checker, I will know the page number to go to in order to find the errors. There has to be a way to do this. Link checker has line numbers but I don't see any way to convert the line numbers from link checker into line numbers in Expression Web 4.

I'd strongly recommend using a proper text editor such as TextPad, especially if Expression Web 4 doesn't let you view HTML source with line numbers.

A rendered web page (such as in Expression Web's WYSIWYG mode, or in a browser window) doesn't always have proper lines; and, just like pandy wrote, such lines wouldn't correspond with those in the HTML source anyway.
User is offlinePM
HowdeeDoodee
post Jul 19 2021, 12:48 PM
Post #6

Novice

QUOTE(pandy @ Jul 19 2021, 08:44 AM) *

There might be a way with JavaScript. Christan probably knows.

But what's the point in seeing the line number on the page in a browser? You can't correct anything there, you must open the html file in an editor anyway. Furthermore, what's a line on a HTML page? Lines wrap and they wrap at different points depending on text size, window size and whatnot. And if you manage to number the lines on the page their numbers won't correspond to the ones a link checker gives you. They refer to the line in the source.

One way to quickly find the spot is to copy either the link or the link text from the link checker's result page and use your editor's Find function to locate it in the source. Or use the same function in your browser to find it on the page, if you after all for some reason want to do that.

I think maybe you might have something. Will have to try it out. Thanks and double thanks.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 19 2021, 03:39 PM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

As Christian, I wonder if Expression Web is the problem? It doesn't show the source, does it? There are many good and free text editors out there. Download one. Most of them will give you the line numbers in the margin, as in the screen cap below.

Attached Image

This really is the only sensible way to do it.

User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:09 AM