... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> css virus?, select code not working?
Goober
post Feb 17 2021, 06:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,803

Hi folks. I have an issue that Ive not seen addressed anywhere.

First some history to help you help me.

I'm turning 10 books into html format for ebooks. 8 of them are practically identical and have identical style sheets. Only the text and images are different.

I dont have a lot of experience and I'm horrible with names, so please excuse the lack of terminology.

A while back, I had a couple of my classes (.para4 and .para5 for example) stop working in one book. The piece of code would not work. I ended up deleting it and copy/pasting the exact same code from another book and I was back in business. I did a bit of research and discovered that by not updating my editor, I open myself up to virus' or whatever hacker do. In my defense, when I start my editor, I'm in the zone to write or do code. Why cant they prompt to update when I close the program? I was using notepad++. Well, I'll never put of updating again.

This time I happened to be using Komodo. I was working on one book, tweaking the color scheme and such. I had it looking fabulous. I was on the last page and decided to add a banner. So, I copied another header replacement, changes the name and image and it worked fine. Except!!

A paragraph below it lost its styling. Just black text mashed within the image.

First I clicked undo until it was in it's original state. The styling didnt come back.
I check my style sheet to ensure I closed the new header replacement {}
It was fine.

I next tried using another class that wasn't used in this book and \changing the rules to suit. (color of border and background, etc) That didn't work either.

Remembering the little I read about corrupt code, I copied the stylesheet to a word doc. For fear a corruption would travel back and forth, I used the word doc to follow, typing a whole new style sheet after flushing then original. Took me over an hour.

You guessed it. No luck. Then, since my stylesheets were so similar, (Actually, I think I did this prior to all the typing) I used the word doc to alter the details/rules (colors, mostly) of another books style sheet. Then I did a real boneheaded move. I saved it back to it's original spot instead of the book I was working on. I then copied it and put it where I intended. That didnt work either, plus now I have another book I need to work on. It's going to be hard to get the exact shades it had originally. Yay. 😞

To make matters worse, somewhere toward the beginning of my efforts to revive that one sentence's styling, I noticed I also lost my page border. Then all the pages borders.

After screwing up with the save event, I decided I was tired and best quite for now. That was a month ago.
I've been preparing to reinstall windows. I purchased better anti-V. I did find a trojan somewhere in my book related files. I'm guessing it was in a program installer I've not yet used. Anyway, in case it was a virus, I'm doing everything I can think of to make sure it's not hiding to come around after a clean install. Meanwhile, I fear opening my editor. I dont want to lose anymore work. I don't have screen shots of the actual problem, but I do have shots of my web books, including one showing a paragraph with no styling.Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic
Goober   css virus?   Feb 17 2021, 06:23 AM
pandy   Can't say without seeing the actual HTML and C...   Feb 17 2021, 06:51 AM
pandy   Where is you going with this BTW? What's the e...   Feb 17 2021, 06:52 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 11:29 AM