Peter Evans
post Aug 29 2006, 03:50 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

In a sandbox message, I posted some Japanese. I'll try it again:

いま日本語で書いております。

Chances are that you, dear reader, can't read Japanese. All the same, you're probably more or less aware of what Japanese looks like: a mixture of complex, angular characters (like Chinese, and indeed from Japanese), and simpler, cursive forms. I wonder if you see that mixture in the line above. If you don't, there could be any of various meanings, e.g. that your computer doesn't have a Japanese font installed. But if you do see it (as I do), that too is odd as this page reads:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

and of course those characters are definitely not within ISO 8859-1.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
Replies
Peter Evans
post Aug 29 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

I should have looked at the source, sorry. (I plead exhaustion: a losing battle with a combination of installation of an unfamiliar distro, and gradual conviction that my hardware's on the blink. A new motherboard awaits installation.)

What's more alarming is that people can edit others' messages. As long as this superpower is limited to moderators, it's fine. I hasten to reassure y'all that I don't see edit buttons on your messages. (Or indeed on my own, which is a bit irritating as I'd like to correct my sleepy "like Chinese, and indeed from Japanese" to "like Chinese, and indeed from Chinese".)
User is offlinePM
John Pozadzides
post Aug 30 2006, 09:28 AM
Post #3

WDG Founder

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Peter Evans @ Aug 29 2006, 11:25 PM) *

I should have looked at the source, sorry. (I plead exhaustion: a losing battle with a combination of installation of an unfamiliar distro, and gradual conviction that my hardware's on the blink. A new motherboard awaits installation.)

What's more alarming is that people can edit others' messages. As long as this superpower is limited to moderators, it's fine. I hasten to reassure y'all that I don't see edit buttons on your messages. (Or indeed on my own, which is a bit irritating as I'd like to correct my sleepy "like Chinese, and indeed from Japanese" to "like Chinese, and indeed from Chinese".)

Peter,

Only moderators can edit everyone's messages. You however can edit your own for up to 1 hour after posting. We set it up that way so that revisionism wouldn't take place. If you feel that time needs to be a little longer we can change it, but we'd need to have a little discussion on the matter.

John
User is offlinePM
Peter Evans
post Sep 1 2006, 05:41 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(John Pozadzides @ Aug 30 2006, 11:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Peter Evans @ Aug 29 2006, 11:25 PM) *

. . . I hasten to reassure y'all that I don't see edit buttons on your messages. (Or indeed on my own, which is a bit irritating as I'd like to correct my sleepy "like Chinese, and indeed from Japanese" to "like Chinese, and indeed from Chinese".)

Only moderators can edit everyone's messages. You however can edit your own for up to 1 hour after posting. We set it up that way so that revisionism wouldn't take place. If you feel that time needs to be a little longer we can change it, but we'd need to have a little discussion on the matter. . . .

Point taken. One hour seems reasonable.
User is offlinePM

Posts in this topic
Peter Evans   character set/encoding and its specification   Aug 29 2006, 03:50 AM
Guest   In IE6 I just get blank space. Opera at least disp...   Aug 29 2006, 04:54 AM
Christian J   That was me replying to the above, don't know ...   Aug 29 2006, 04:56 AM
John Pozadzides   Here is what I see using Avant Browser.   Aug 29 2006, 10:39 AM
pandy   While I see the Japanese fine, both in IE and Oper...   Aug 29 2006, 11:31 AM
jimlongo   it's Japanese in all my OS X browsers http://w...   Aug 29 2006, 11:54 AM
pandy   You are so smart! Never thought of looking at ...   Aug 29 2006, 12:38 PM
Liam Quinn   Noticed the BB software converts it to html entit...   Aug 29 2006, 06:07 PM
John Pozadzides   Since we need to be able to give examples of nume...   Aug 29 2006, 10:48 PM
jimlongo   I'm not entirely following along with exactly...   Aug 30 2006, 08:48 AM
John Pozadzides   One problem you will find is that if you were to ...   Aug 30 2006, 09:30 AM
Liam Quinn   I just got an answer back from Invision on this. ...   Aug 30 2006, 07:05 PM
John Pozadzides   Your browser does that conversion when it submits...   Aug 29 2006, 06:39 PM
John Pozadzides   Your browser does that conversion when it submit...   Aug 29 2006, 10:46 PM
pandy   Uh. Something is wrong with this picture... I di...   Aug 29 2006, 10:56 PM
Peter Evans   I should have looked at the source, sorry. (I plea...   Aug 29 2006, 11:25 PM
jimlongo   What's more alarming is that people can edit ...   Aug 30 2006, 08:30 AM
John Pozadzides   I should have looked at the source, sorry. (I ple...   Aug 30 2006, 09:28 AM
Peter Evans   . . . I hasten to reassure y'all that I don...   Sep 1 2006, 05:41 AM

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 02:39 AM