Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frame Question
HTMLHelp Forums > Web Authoring > Markup (HTML, XHTML, XML)
i_jr_i
Hi, Im trying to do a layout with Photoshop,

Im trying to create a frame, where the words come out on the frame but i have an opaque background under the words.

Anyone have any clue what im talking about?
Brian Chandler
(Not necessarily in the original order)

Anyone have any clue what im talking about?

Not really. What's "im"?

Hi, Im trying to do a layout with Photoshop,

Ah. Photoshop, like all other image software, produces images. Not "layouts", at least in any html sense.

Im trying to create a frame, where the words come out on the frame but i have an opaque background under the words.

Huh? Are you trying to create an image with words on it? Then you probably want a Photoshop forum, since this has nothing to do with html. (And is a bad way to start making a web page, if that's what you're doing.)
i_jr_i
I'm using html and photoshop. What I want is an HTML frame BUT I want to have the page with the content come out on the photoshop layout I'm creating.

Now what I want is a Frame with HTML but not to cover the part on the layout which I'm going to use as the frame.

Is that a little bit more clear now?
pandy
Mot really. Are you perhaps talking about an IFRAME?
Darin McGrew
Frames don't work that way. The document displayed in the frame can specify a background image, and if that background image matches the rest of your layout, then it can look seemless.

But web pages aren't images, and image slicing is a particularly fragile way to design a web page.
i_jr_i
hmmm.. im pretty sure i have seen it.. but i really cannot remember the website, if i remember it, i'll be sure to post it..
i_jr_i
yes, im talking about IFrames But i want the background or the whole page to be a little opaque
pandy
Some browsers allow IFRAMEs to have a transparent background, but with frames it simply isn't possible. What would you see through the transparent frame? The frameset can't have a background so what's behind the frame?

A box with a scrollbar doesn't have to be a frame or an iframe though. A normal element can be made to show scrollbars with CSS. Maybe that's what you've seen?
i_jr_i
QUOTE(pandy @ Sep 22 2008, 03:24 PM) *

Some browsers allow IFRAMEs to have a transparent background, but with frames it simply isn't possible. What would you see through the transparent frame? The frameset can't have a background so what's behind the frame?

A box with a scrollbar doesn't have to be a frame or an iframe though. A normal element can be made to show scrollbars with CSS. Maybe that's what you've seen?

Finally I'm getting somewhere, lol.

Ok, Maybe thats what I have seen, but can that be made to be able to show a different page (with in the box made by the scroll bar?), I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be HTML, it can be CSS or PHP, Although I don't know have to handle either one, so if that is what it is, I'm looking for help where I can just copy and paste. (and Credit Will Be Given)
pandy
No. You need an iframe then. Iframes have transparent background by default in gecko browsers and can be made transparent in IE with the code below. I don't know about other browsers.

CODE
<iframe src="framed.html" allowtransparency="true" style="background-color: transparent">

Note that the framed page can't have a defined background.
i_jr_i
QUOTE(pandy @ Sep 22 2008, 04:57 PM) *

No. You need an iframe then. Iframes have transparent background by default in gecko browsers and can be made transparent in IE with the code below. I don't know about other browsers.

CODE
<iframe src="framed.html" allowtransparency="true" style="background-color: transparent">

Note that the framed page can't have a defined background.

Thank-You. And Hopefully it works with Fire-Fox. Which is what I use..
pandy
You don't need to do anything for FF. Just don't define a backgrund for the framed page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.