Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bottom half of website invisible until rolled-over!
HTMLHelp Forums > Programming > Client-side Scripting
bsukrachand
Hello, I'm a photographer and self-taught web designer which is probably why I can't figure this simple problem out:

If you open my website http://www.sukrachand.com in Firefox, the bottom right portion of the site (where my menu is) simply does not show up.

If you open in Safari the menu in the bottom right only shows up when you rollover it (a problem for most viewers who don't know the menu is there!). There is also a caption box below the images on the left side of the screen which only appears if you click and drag that area.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

This website was designed in Dreamweaver around a SimpleViewer gallery which is the core (center portion) of the site. The bottom portion which is giving me problems uses tables, rollover hotspots, and behaviors.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Bobby
Darin McGrew
FWIW, the menu shows up (but doesn't do anything useful) until I temporarily whitelist your site (enabling JavaScript, Flash, etc.). Then the menu disappears. It seems that it's a JavaScript problem.

PS: since this isn't a markup problem, I'm moving it to a more appropriate category.
bsukrachand
Hi Darin, thanks for the info. I apologize for my ignorance but I don't really have any idea what this means (i.e. whitelisting, javascript, etc.). Like I said I have next to no web design background and literally threw this together between photoshop and dreamweaver.

If it's a javascript problem, what would be the correct steps for fixing it? Thanks,

Bobby
Darin McGrew
QUOTE(bsukrachand @ Jul 4 2008, 03:44 PM) *
I apologize for my ignorance but I don't really have any idea what this means (i.e. whitelisting, javascript, etc.).
Whitelisting - With Firefox, I use the NoScript extension to disable JavaScript, Flash, etc. except for sites that I have whitelisted. With Opera, I do the same thing using the Site Preferences feature built into the browser. Unless MSIE has changed since I used it, you could do the same with MSIE's Security settings by disabling JavaScript, etc. for the "Internet" security zone, and adding sites to the "Trusted" security zone to enable JavaScript, etc.

JavaScript - See the FAQ entry Where can I learn about JavaScript (LiveScript, JScript, ECMAScript, DOM)? Actually, the entire Other Documents section of the FAQ might be a good starting place.

QUOTE(bsukrachand @ Jul 4 2008, 03:44 PM) *
If it's a javascript problem, what would be the correct steps for fixing it?
If it were my site, I'd start over with a photo gallery that uses HTML, CSS, and maybe JavaScript, rather than the Flash-based photo gallery you've got now.

I'll let someone with more JavaScript and Flash experience suggest fixes for your current site.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.