Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to position properly?
HTMLHelp Forums > Web Authoring > Cascading Style Sheets
Alex McP
Hi, I have a site:

testing site

with a fixed width, centered content area. I want the effect of two div’s (#columnB and .slide) to hang out over the edge (to the left and right respectively)

I tried absolute positioning first, and realized that they won’t scale with different browser widths. I tried relative, but the “hole” left behind was too large, and when I added new content to columnA, columnB just sunk lower and lower. I want both elements to be pegged to the borders, and not move when anything is resized. What’s the best way to achieve this effect?

Thanks so much,
Alex
Darin McGrew
There are a number of CSS-based 3-column layouts to choose from:
glish.com : CSS layout techniques
Max Design - Sample CSS Page Layouts
Skidoo : Ruthsarian Layouts
The Layout Reservoir - BlueRobot
psycosis12
Ah, o.k. he meant 3 column layouts...I thought he was talkin' about having it just hang over the container div like over-lap it.
Darin McGrew
To be honest, I'm not quite sure what Alex wants. It seems to be a 3-column layout with a particular styling of borders, but I'm not sure what the styling is. Still, the 3-column layout is a better place to start than a fixed-width 1-column layout.
Dr Z
QUOTE(Alex McP @ Feb 11 2008, 08:08 AM) *

Hi, I have a site:

testing site

with a fixed width, centered content area. I want the effect of two div’s (#columnB and .slide) to hang out over the edge (to the left and right respectively)

I tried absolute positioning first, and realized that they won’t scale with different browser widths. I tried relative, but the “hole” left behind was too large, and when I added new content to columnA, columnB just sunk lower and lower. I want both elements to be pegged to the borders, and not move when anything is resized. What’s the best way to achieve this effect?

Thanks so much,
Alex

Take a look at ZoneZ concept, it may give you some some ideas and/or some unorthodox alternatives.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.