Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Editing HTML in notepad
HTMLHelp Forums > Web Authoring > Markup (HTML, XHTML, XML)
jshedd
As a rank beginner, using the Head First book, I can create an HTML file using notepad, but am not able to make any changes to it. Help!
pandy
What happens when you try? Have you managed to make the file write protected somehow? Right-click on the disk file and choose Properties. See if Read-only is checked.
pandy
Or could you have logged on with another account than you used when you created the file? Windows has some tricks with that, I think. I, against better advice, always use an admin account, so I'm not sure how that works.
vientosuave
I got the same problem, when I try to save changes to the file, I get this message: "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". Any idea how a can bypass that warning?
vientosuave
I think I just found the answer:

How to Edit files Using Notepad.
1. Left click the "Start" button in the lower left-hand edge of your screen. Click "Programs". Click "Accessories". Click "Notepad".
2. When the Notepad editor appears, click "File" on the Notepad toolbar, then click "Open..". An "Open" panel will appear.
3. Refer to the steps in the picture below to choose a file for editing.
4. When you are finished editing the file, click "File" on the Notepad toolbar, then click "Save". Exit the Notepad editor.
pandy
Try this.
http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/
pandy
QUOTE(vientosuave @ Jun 11 2012, 03:04 AM) *

I think I just found the answer:

How to Edit files Using Notepad.
1. Left click the "Start" button in the lower left-hand edge of your screen. Click "Programs". Click "Accessories". Click "Notepad".
2. When the Notepad editor appears, click "File" on the Notepad toolbar, then click "Open..". An "Open" panel will appear.
3. Refer to the steps in the picture below to choose a file for editing.
4. When you are finished editing the file, click "File" on the Notepad toolbar, then click "Save". Exit the Notepad editor.

Yeah, you need to start the program and open the document, but didn't you do that already?
vientosuave

What I was doing before was right-clicking the document and opening it with notepad. For some reason, it works better opening notepad first, and then, from notepad open the document. It should be the same either way, but it isn't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.