Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternative of framset and frame in HTML5
HTMLHelp Forums > Web Authoring > Markup (HTML, XHTML, XML)
Manoj Gupta
Hi,

I am beginner in HTML5 programming. Is there any alternative of frameset of HTML4 in HTML5? <div> does not give scroll bar and iframe is not like frameset. Basically, I tries to make a web page which has 3/4 columns like in test page .

Thanks.
pandy
Not that I know of.

Two questions. Why do you need frames? You say you want two columns, but you don't need frames for that. Why do you need HTML5? If frames are really important to you, it isn't like HTML 4.01 has ceased to work. It's fine to use it.
Manoj Gupta
QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 2 2011, 11:51 AM) *

Not that I know of.

Two questions. Why do you need frames? You say you want two columns, but you don't need frames for that. Why do you need HTML5? If frames are really important to you, it isn't like HTML 4.01 has ceased to work. It's fine to use it.

Thanks for quick reply.

1) I want to use HTML5 because this is the future in web development. If I start using HTML5 from now, I will get better experience, and also after few year HTML4 may vanish.

2) HTML5 have cool features for video, audio, canvas etc. I want to use those cool features.

3) Yes, I want to make 3 columns, and 3 rows (similar to the page that I have hyper-linked in my previous post) . one top row for title and menu bar, one left side for table of content, right side for some extra feature, and bottom for some information. If I do same thing using <div>, I can't get the scroll bar which is important because I want to stay on the same page and scroll (like in web page that I have hyper-linked in my previous post) rather than going all way down to the page. In that page, if you clicked on "information" tab, you will see all information and there is scroll bar. One do not have to go all way down to the page. I think it is easier to view different pages this way.

4) I am an academic person, and I am developing this my personal page to put academic information.

Thanks again.
Christian J
QUOTE(Manoj Gupta @ Oct 2 2011, 07:33 PM) *

after few year HTML4 may vanish.

That's very unlikely, due to all existing web pages that don't even validate as HTML4.

If I do same thing using <div>, I can't get the scroll bar

You can with the CSS "overflow" property.

You can also use CSS "position: fixed" to make sections stay put while the main content scrolls (but watch out for overlapping content).

You can also use "position: absolute" like this:
http://fu2k.org/alex/css/frames/pixels (demo)
http://fu2k.org/alex/css/frames/ (explanation)
pandy
What Christian said. Did HTML 3.2 stop to work? Latest and greatest, sure. So was XHTML for a blink. Something else will follow HTML5. But you want to use HTML5 features which is a good reason.

Frames are inherently bad. There are more valid reasons not to use them than that they aren't included in HTML5. They are very uncool. wink.gif
http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/frames.html#frame-problems

You go for HTML5 and a nice CSS design. Just be aware that browser support for HTML5 isn't all that. It isn't even a spec yet. It's just a working draft.
Manoj Gupta
Ok, thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions.
Dr Z
Also see web-zonez for CSS based frames
Manoj Gupta
QUOTE(Dr Z @ Oct 2 2011, 05:04 PM) *

Oops, the link does not work. CNN page is also written in HTML5 with columns. I like similar.
Chakravarthy
QUOTE(Manoj Gupta @ Oct 3 2011, 06:10 AM) *

Oops, the link does not work. CNN page is also written in HTML5 with columns. I like similar.

Hi,
Have you find any alternate solution to Frames in HTML5?
Christian J
QUOTE(Manoj Gupta @ Oct 3 2011, 02:40 AM) *

Oops, the link does not work.

Here's a similar page: http://fu2k.org/alex/css/frames/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.