Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: frames don't work in IE
HTMLHelp Forums > Web Authoring > General Web Design
keytone
I built my site using Google Chrome / YaHoo and it looks great in my browser. I am pretty new to HTML, but have picked it up pretty fast. I tried a simple framset with a row across the top and the remainder divided into 2 columns.
It works great for my browser, but in Internet Explorer I only get a blank frameset page. I've heard of this before somewhere but can't remember. Can anyone hlp me out?
The homepage is
JD's Mountain

The opening frameset page is
JD's Mountain

Thank you very much for any help! JD (John) wacko.gif

pandy
The page is blank in FF and Opera too. Browsers recover in different ways and to a different extent from HTML errors. One browser may successfully fix a HTML error for you when another one won't.
http://htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?u...s&input=yes

In a frameset document you don't have a BODY element. It's replaced by FRAMESET. Those browsers that don't display your frameset see BODY and and ignore your frames related tags because they cannot occur inside BODY. Safari and Chrome take the other approach and ignore BODY.

Note that you can have BODY inside NOFRAMES though. But then the purpose is to present alternate content to a browser that can't display frames.

See here for the structure of a complete frameset document.
http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/frames/frameset.html

Use the validator frequently. It's a good learning tool. And check your page in as many browsers as you can. Safari and Chrome are built on the same rendering engine, so it was no surprise your page worked in my Safari Windows. Then there are gecko based browsers (FireFox, K-Meleon and others), Opera and IE just to mention the main ones. In addition to that different versions of each browser have their own quirks, especially IE that is very different between versions.

By starting with a valid document that works in a standard compliant browser (basically all of the above except IE) you have the best starting point and hopefully don't have to fix anything for other browsers and if you do it won't be as bad as it can be if you start with an invalid document.

The document needs a doctype. See the links in the comment about that in the validation result. Put that in before you validate again.
keytone
Thanks very much for your reply.
It is fantastic! that you you explained what's going on. I can't tell you much that helps me.

I owe you big-time excl.gif , JD ( John )

Now I have to figure out how to get my text and images to line up the way I planned.
I already have to go back through my pages and add border="none" attribute to all my img tags. huh.gif

thanks again.
pandy
No problem. I'm glad it helped you. smile.gif

QUOTE(keytone @ Jun 20 2010, 03:17 PM) *

I already have to go back through my pages and add border="none" attribute to all my img tags. huh.gif

Actually, you don't have to do that. You can learn a little basic CSS at the same time as you learn HTML. I assume it's the border on linked images that you want to get rid of? With CSS you do that with single line in an external style sheet that you link to all your pages (except the frameset one). That's all that's needed for your whole site.

Put this in a file and save it as something.css

CODE
a img       { border: none  }

The first part there is what's called a 'selector'. It tells what the CSS rule inside the curly braces should match. In this case it matches all and any image that's inside a A element, i.e. linked images.

You can read in the CSS reference how you link your style sheet to your HTML pages.
http://htmlhelp.com/reference/css/style-html.html

You can define font sizes, colors, backgrounds and so on in the same style sheet. I don't think it will confuse you to learn a little CSS formatting at the same time as you learn HTML if you stick to the basic stuff and it saves you from writing font tags for every paragraph and so on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.