Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: menu and frame help
HTMLHelp Forums > Web Authoring > General Web Design
redbull
hi here is my website its not done yet so you have to use this exact link

http://unsignededmonton.ca/home.html

what i want to do is to have the middle column in the table just to change when you click the links in the menu bar. i want it to be like it is just i want one page with the middle changing not just loading a whole other page.

i only know html, css, and a little javascript. but my web hosting does php but i dont know php at all. i kinda just improvise and do my best when i made this and if theres anything else that you could help with that would be nice to.

thanks,

Ben
aspmkt
My company did this with frames before I started with them, not iframes. I didn't set it up though and it was a PAIN for me to work with so I switched to dreamweaver templates which was easier for me as an html newbie.

I think frames is what you want. Or iframes, but I'm not sure on that. I only use them in a few places when I'm doing maps.

Out of curiosity, do you just not want the menus in a different spot? Or do you not want the page to reload?
pandy
Yeah, frames or IFRAME. I wouldn't go there though.

Why don't you want to load a whole other page? What's wrong with that? If the reason is that you don't want to change a lot of files if you need to make changes to for example a menu, the solution isn't frames. It's includes, a way to make the server "include" parts of the page, specified in external files, before it's sent to the browser. SSI (Server Side Includes) is probably available to you. PHP can do it also. If you plan to use PHP for other things later, you should go with that.

http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/design.html#include-file
aspmkt
I didn't even think of that. I use includes on our asp site, and I only have to change my header and footer if main links change and the whole site (it's inventory so it's a lot for me alone) change too.

ALTHOUGH, I can see where if they don't want the page to reload that would be an issue. The whole page still reloads even though I have all the includes. Not sure if there's a way around that or not. But when we used frames before, only the main frame changed/reloaded. The header and the menu frame didn't. It was hard to link people to a specific page though, because it took on just a general site address, no index.html or anything.
redbull
QUOTE(aspmkt @ Nov 26 2009, 08:29 PM) *

My company did this with frames before I started with them, not iframes. I didn't set it up though and it was a PAIN for me to work with so I switched to dreamweaver templates which was easier for me as an html newbie.

I think frames is what you want. Or iframes, but I'm not sure on that. I only use them in a few places when I'm doing maps.

Out of curiosity, do you just not want the menus in a different spot? Or do you not want the page to reload?

both i want everything to be the same on every page except for the middle iframe or frame im not sure which one is better. Ill have to check out ssi. It sounds like a good idea. its not actually my website its for a friend and thats how he wants it done. the reason i dont want it to reload another page is because it looks choppy when loading and it takes longer to load.
pandy
QUOTE(aspmkt @ Nov 27 2009, 05:24 AM) *

The whole page still reloads even though I have all the includes.

So what? You didn't answer my question. WHY is this bad?
aspmkt
Sorry missed that part. We'll it's not a problem now, with how i have our regular site set up (it's css now). Before I changed it, the menu and header were about 95% images, so even if it used includes or the same page just different main content, the page would reload every page until it was cached. With frames only the main body was refreshed. I didn't like it though, because you couldn't link people to various pages with in the site easily.

But take for instance our inventory site. It's not a problem until a user wants to view all or a category with a lot of products. Then everything right aligns until the main part loads, and can get down to the footer include and then it drops to the center with the right part.

Part of my problem could be that it's based on a program that uses tables, which is how the program was created by comersus. So the header has the left border and header and the footer has the right border and footer. I don't know much about ASP, and a I'm not wanting to mess with the site too much because that's only a problem for a very few people, and it probably only bothers me. It works perfectly for us for the most part.
pandy
Images are cached. Text loads quickly.

Then everything right aligns until the main part loads, and can get down to the footer include and then it drops to the center with the right part.

Even if you use width and height for all images in the HTML?
aspmkt
I just went to check that the ASP code drops in an html image size, but when I use the view all option on my home computer it's fine. So I think it's just my internet speed at work that causes the problem. I use wireless at home, but it loads immediately, so I'm sure that's it.
pandy
Well, I haven't seen the page, but what you describe tend to happen when the markup lacks dimensions for images and stuff. The browser can't reserve space for them while the page loads because it doesn't know their size yet and have to redraw everything as the images load in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.