Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> mailto link doesn't work with AOL, mailto link always opens Outlook Express
TigerMO
post Sep 5 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,596

I maintain a site that has several email links to send messages to various people. These are all coded as mailto links in XHTML. Users that are browsing through AOL have a problem not being able to send email because the mailto link tries to open Outlook Express. If the user always uses AOL to access their mail, they probably don't have Outlook Express configured and they receive an error message telling them that. Is there a way to accommodate AOL users with an alternative way to code email links instead of using mailto? Or does anyone know of a way to change some setting somewhere so AOL Mail is opened instead of Outlook Express for those users?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Sep 5 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(TigerMO @ Sep 5 2008, 11:54 PM) *

Is there a way to accommodate AOL users with an alternative way to code email links instead of using mailto?

No. Keep the email address visible so they can copy it. Spam bots get it either it's visible on the page or in the source, so that doesn't make any difference.

Or does anyone know of a way to change some setting somewhere so AOL Mail is opened instead of Outlook Express for those users?

Is AOL Mail a program? If so I guess they should be able to configure the browser to use it. If it's web mail you are out of luck.
User is offlinePM
TigerMO
post Sep 5 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,596

I don't know enough about how AOL users retrieve their mail. I only hear back from them saying that they can't send email using the page links without going to Outlook Express. They don't use Outlook Express so they don't want to do that.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 5 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Well, mailto only works under certain premises.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Sep 5 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #5

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I use Gmail, and I had to configure it to use Gmail by default.

Searching for a way to configure a browser to use AOL by default turned up this:
http://users.aol.com/bpabpabpa/aol.html
User is offlinePM
Website Design Perth
post Sep 16 2008, 05:09 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,367

Unless you like spam, I would seriously recommend avoiding the 'mailto:' approach - this is just one of the terms email address harvesters search for in code. There are lots of ways of obfuscating email addresses (so they appear on-page to humans but are less visible to bots) but why not consider a form that sends you the email direct from the page?

Lots of ways to protect to form from spam too - captcha (if you're not concerned about accessibility); a simple maths question ... or my current favourite, an extra field which is hidden off-page that must be empty on submit. Bots will see it's there and in all likelihood inject text therefore catching them out!
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Sep 16 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #7

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Lots of ways to protect to form from spam too - captcha (if you're not concerned about accessibility); a simple maths question ... or my current favourite, an extra field which is hidden off-page that must be empty on submit. Bots will see it's there and in all likelihood inject text therefore catching them out!
There's a Firefox plug-in to solve CAPTCHAs, which is good news for accessibility, but bad news for webmasters trying to fight spam.

At this point, if you're big enough to be a significant target, then you need some other way to fight spam. If you aren't big enough to be a significant target, then the best anti-spambot test is something that not many other sites are using. If everyone starts using the same test to weed out spambots, then it becomes worth the spammers' time to defeat that test.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:46 AM