Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project Wonderful
Effovex
post Feb 22 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Serious Coder

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,477

This might be a nice place to plug Project Wonderful, an innovative bid-based advertising system that's been gaining support in the webcomic world but probably has a future elsewhere, I think. I know I have clicked about ten times as many project wonderful ads since it started about a month or two ago than I had clicked non-project wonderful ads in the ten years I've been on the web prior to that. Since people are buying adspace on YOUR website in particular instead of buying generic adspace that gets rotated with various degrees of targetting, you're more likely to get relevant ads on your website.

Here's a quick rundown on how to sell adspace and how to buy adspace.

I'm not affiliated with Project Wonderful, just a fan of Project Wonderful founder Ryan North

--------------------
Poison is an acquired taste.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
John Pozadzides
post Feb 27 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #2

WDG Founder

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Effovex,

That is a great find. Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: Incidentally, I figured I would try the signup process and place an ad on my site to see how it goes. The signup was very simple and I like the personal nature of the service (You get to use your name and an Avatar and everything).

The only problem was that I had to sign up to be placed on a wait list to put an ad on my site. So, there is no immediate gratification with this service, and who knows if they'll ever even contact me.

John

--------------------
John Pozadzides
Founder, WDG
My latest Blog posts:
One Man's Blog
User is offlinePM
John Pozadzides
post Feb 27 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #3

WDG Founder

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Well, time for an update. I got an invitation to put up an ad very soon after registering. I've since managed to set up an ad to run on my site.

The service says that you can also bid on other spots on people's sites that are even at the bid price of $0. So, for fun I also created a little button ad (125x125) and managed to put in a bid for free to another site.

I must say this site is quite fun to use and I like the concept behind it.

For a while, at least until I take it down, anyone reading this could bid for my free 125x125 ad spot on One Man's Blog. smile.gif

John

--------------------
John Pozadzides
Founder, WDG
My latest Blog posts:
One Man's Blog
User is offlinePM
Dr Z
post Feb 28 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11

I quickly looked at the site. It looks interesting. However, I could not see anything about the minimum ad box size. By any chanse, woulf you know that?

--------------------
Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
A. Einstein (Uncle Albert)
User is offlinePM
Effovex
post Mar 9 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #5

Serious Coder

I don't know much about it, but I think the idea is that each site provides ad boxes as they please, and then advertisers choose on their bid based on the size, placement and relevance of the ad.

As far as I can tell, it's largely a community-based ad system, because you will usually bid for ads on sites that you visit. You visit a site, see they offer project wonderful ads (each ad has a link that says "Your ad, right here, right now: $current bid" underneath it) and if you think that this is a site that would share readership with yours, you can bid on that adspace if its size, location and prize agree with you.

There's probably a way to find sites to advertize on in other ways than randomly navigating on them, but since I don't have a website I'm not really interested in either buying or selling adspace so I haven't looked at it too deeply.

They have an interactive FAQ system that allows you to ask questions you might want to try.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Effovex
post Mar 11 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #6

Serious Coder

The ad search allows you to find advertising boxes of specific dimensions.

--------------------
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 11:15 PM