Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HTML problem- opening a new window
Shauhncy
post Mar 6 2009, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,996

Hi all. I am new to HTML, but I love it and I basically worship Dreamweaver. Right now, I am best at doing everything in design mode, easy I know. I am trying to do this site for a friend and he needs some specific coding to where when someone clicks on the link, a new window opens with no problem. Now, let me say this. He uses a PC and IE as a browser. When I open the page, I don't get the error because I use Safari 4. I also tried Firefox on my husband's PC to open it, and didn't get the error message that I am trying to correct. In essence, my friend wants to correct this problem with some kind of html code for people trying to view his page in Internet Explorer, since the problem doesn't occur in other browsers.

Here is the problem:
It is easier to see than to describe, but I will try, and I will also include links that have the html for both ways.

The problem: This man needs a page with links to where when someone clicks on the hot spot, a new small window opens with a tour in it, and the original page is still in the background. I figured this out, you just use "blank" in the coding for the link.

Now, when this new link is opened, in IE, a message pops up that says something like "The browser is trying to close this window. Do you want to close it? Yes or no"

He doesn't want this message to come up at all. It's an extra step, which people will not know whether to click yes or no on.

Here are examples of the correct code he needs and the incorrect: If you open Internet Explorer, and click on any of the links, you can see what I am talking about.

The first one (Edgecomb) is the one that will show the error in IE. This is the one we are trying to correct.

http://www.photographyoptions.net/images/edge/edgecombe.html

The next two work correctly, as far as the links opening with no error.

http://moosewater.net/union.html

http://www.photographyoptions.net/sandhills_college.html

I have tried copying the code that I thought was doing the trick from the correct one to the wrong one, without success. I am not sure what code needs to be put in the Edgecombe html from the other two to make it work properly, like he wants.

Can someone view the page source of these and tell me what code I need in the Edgecombe file to avoid the "Page is trying to close: Close it- Yes or No" error in Internet Explorer.

I would greatly appreciate it because I am lost!! Thanks!!!

This post has been edited by Shauhncy: Mar 6 2009, 04:39 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
geoffmerritt
post Mar 6 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,394

Some issues I have found with the mapping on the (Edgcombe) site, would suggest that you could visit youtube or google and do a search on mapping, youtube have some easy to follow tutorials.

CODE
<area shape="poly" coords="330,117,345,131,378,94,363,82,329,117" href="#" target="_parent">

The href="#" should have an address their, e.g href="yourpagename.html", having the # sign basically sends the page to itself.

The above code is broken down as such:

shape = poly, means that the shape of the mapped image has may sides
coords = xx,xx,....., means that each number represents to pixel place on the mapped image
href = #, that is what web page you want to browse to when the mapped image is clicked
target= _parent, opens the window of the parent browser.... ie it self if not a frameset

This post has been edited by geoffmerritt: Mar 6 2009, 11:09 PM
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 7 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

I don't get the error you describe, but it is a warning that's issued when JavaScript tries to close a window it hasn't created. The pages that open in the new window has JS, so there's where it must come from.

I do get a JS error though.

Attached Image
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:06 AM