Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Website - Desktop Interaction
SBH
post Aug 26 2015, 12:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,158

Wanted to know if there's a way by which my PHP & JS scripts in cPanel File Manager can access & modify files on my desktop? Thanks.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
CharlesEF
post Aug 26 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 19,088

No, I don't think that is possible. It would be a major security risk if it were.
User is offlinePM
SBH
post Aug 27 2015, 01:28 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(CharlesEF @ Aug 26 2015, 01:37 PM) *

No, I don't think that is possible. It would be a major security risk if it were.

Ok in which case, is there a way not to use the myriad FTP tools (FileZilla or whatever) & instead automate uploading files from the desktop to a specific path on File Manager?

Alternatively, is there a way by which we can have the scripts in File Manager access files stored in Google Drive or Dropbox? Thanks.
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Aug 27 2015, 02:52 AM
Post #4

Programming Fanatic

QUOTE(SBH @ Aug 27 2015, 01:28 AM) *

Ok in which case, is there a way not to use the myriad FTP tools (FileZilla or whatever) & instead automate uploading files from the desktop to a specific path on File Manager?

Alternatively, is there a way by which we can have the scripts in File Manager access files stored in Google Drive or Dropbox? Thanks.
I would use FileZilla to be honest. It is pretty close to automatic uploading anyway. I mean, if you want to copy (duplicate) the file structure on your local drive to your web hosting site you would just need to select the main folders. All sub-foldes (file structure) would also be copied. If you wanted to write your own scripts to do this then you would need to worry about permissions and such.
I don't know anything about cPanel or File Manager but PHP scripts can access files on public folders to download them. If you are doing this on your web host server then you would need to copy them to a folder where you have write permission and then move them to their final location. Maybe not worth the trouble?
User is offlinePM
SBH
post Aug 27 2015, 03:16 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(CharlesEF @ Aug 27 2015, 02:52 AM) *

I would use FileZilla to be honest. It is pretty close to automatic uploading anyway. I mean, if you want to copy (duplicate) the file structure on your local drive to your web hosting site you would just need to select the main folders. All sub-foldes (file structure) would also be copied. If you wanted to write your own scripts to do this then you would need to worry about permissions and such.
I don't know anything about cPanel or File Manager but PHP scripts can access files on public folders to download them. If you are doing this on your web host server then you would need to copy them to a folder where you have write permission and then move them to their final location. Maybe not worth the trouble?

Thanks @CharlesEF. In which case, do you suggest that I check with Google Drive or Dropbox, if they'd have APIs to access their files (even if registered in my name, i.e. in my account) from another website (of mine again)? My challenge here is that I need to be able to access 1000s of files & read from them dynamically & process thereafter for the users of my websites. There's (among other things) heavy amount of computation involved.

This post has been edited by SBH: Aug 27 2015, 03:17 AM
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Aug 27 2015, 03:45 AM
Post #6

Programming Fanatic

QUOTE(SBH @ Aug 27 2015, 03:16 AM) *

Thanks @CharlesEF. In which case, do you suggest that I check with Google Drive or Dropbox, if they'd have APIs to access their files (even if registered in my name, i.e. in my account) from another website (of mine again)? My challenge here is that I need to be able to access 1000s of files & read from them dynamically & process thereafter for the users of my websites. There's (among other things) heavy amount of computation involved.
For Google Drive see here. For Dropbox see here.
User is offlinePM
SBH
post Aug 28 2015, 12:54 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(CharlesEF @ Aug 27 2015, 03:45 AM) *

For Google Drive see here. For Dropbox see here.

Thanks a ton again. Just glanced over the same. Will (if & when I start working on this), pester you & others for further questions :-)
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:08 PM