Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intranet forum related html questions
hunsnowy
post Aug 16 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #1

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,451

Ok, this is not actually a problem, but I would like to understand it..smile.gif At my company we have an intranet site, plain html. This site has a html forum as well. When I write in the textarea I can use html tags to change the text's appearance/design. I can even use local css inside the tags and it is working. However when I try to add the following javascript tag:

<script type ="text/javascript>
alert("this is a test");
</script>

...nothing happens. Of course I am not the programmer/webmaster of the forum, I am just simple user. So my questions are:

1. Why can I use html tags (div, span, ect.) and cannot use the script tag? Why is one working and the other not?

2. Isn't this a fault of the webmaster that I can use html/css inside the forum page (this way having the possibility to mess up the design of the page : like inserting big squares/text or whatever)? (Do not missunderstand me I have no intention to do it, but still there is the possibility)

3. Shouldn't he use validation (using javascript) of the textarea before the message is saved/stored?

As I am very new into html/css/javascript I am just very curious how and why things happen! smile.gif

Thank you in advance for your replies!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Aug 16 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Probably javascript is disallowed for security reasons. That's normal as well as allowing only a small range of HTML tags. The most usual is probably that no HTML is allowed and people have to use whatever formatting features the forum offers, as is the case here.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Aug 16 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(hunsnowy @ Aug 16 2010, 08:07 PM) *

3. Shouldn't he use validation (using javascript) of the textarea before the message is saved/stored?

That's not really necessary, and would of course take more time to create. The important thing is that messagea are checked/sanitized by the server-side script (which appears to be the case).
User is offlinePM
hunsnowy
post Aug 17 2010, 01:29 AM
Post #4

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,451

"Probably javascript is disallowed for security reasons."

How can javascript be disallowed? Is there a code which disallows it? Is it disallowed on the client-side (html) or on the server side? Can I view the disallowing code in the source?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to learn.smile.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 17 2010, 01:45 AM
Post #5

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

The validation you talked about. PHP will remove or change not allowed stuff.

User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:37 AM