Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advice and Guidence Needed with Javascript Website
Sanitarium
post Feb 13 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,953

Hey guys,

I am in the process of designing a website and I need to know what would be the best way to approach it. I can describe it for you so you can get a better idea of what is needed and how I would be able to tackle it best.

There is going to be a large res image as a background, but when you first access the site, you will only see a small portion of the full image. i.e. The edges of the image will be hidden, but pre-loaded.
Then there will be a menu, where when you press one of the buttons, the image pans to the relevant section of the background image which will be like a new web page for the menu item you selected. Also, a back button to go back to the main menu will also be needed.

If you don't understand that I can try and make it clearer for you.

Any tips or pointers to get me started? I have no idea how to approach this but I am pretty advanced in graphic design and website design, its just the coding of it which lets me down.

Thanks a Million,
Colm
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Feb 13 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

It sounds like you're trying to make multiple pages out of a single URL.

If so, then I recommend just having multiple pages with multiple URLs.
User is offlinePM
Sanitarium
post Feb 13 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think you fully understand what I need.

Picture this:

You go to the website, and you see a wall with picture frames hanging on it, and each picture is a menu item (CSS rollover images) and you click on one. You see the page (or 'wall') elegantly slide to a different section of the 'wall' which is what you wanted when you clicked on the picture frame. Then you click a back button and it brings you back to the main 'menu'.

Any clearer? I am thinking the prototype script is going to be a big help.

Thanks alot.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 13 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Like this? tongue.gif

http://web.archive.org/web/20021208084351/...pple/index.html
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Feb 13 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #5

WDG Member

QUOTE(Sanitarium @ Feb 13 2008, 01:46 PM) *
You go to the website, and you see a wall with picture frames hanging on it, and each picture is a menu item (CSS rollover images) and you click on one. You see the page (or 'wall') elegantly slide to a different section of the 'wall' which is what you wanted when you clicked on the picture frame.
Can I email someone the URL of this "section of the 'wall'" or do I have to tell them how to navigate to it? Can I bookmark the URL?

Then you click a back button and it brings you back to the main 'menu'.
What do you mean by "a back button"? Can I use the back button, can I use my browser's normal back function? Or will that take me entirely out of the gallery site?
User is offlinePM
Sanitarium
post Feb 13 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Feb 13 2008, 06:09 PM) *

You go to the website, and you see a wall with picture frames hanging on it, and each picture is a menu item (CSS rollover images) and you click on one. You see the page (or 'wall') elegantly slide to a different section of the 'wall' which is what you wanted when you clicked on the picture frame.
Can I email someone the URL of this "section of the 'wall'" or do I have to tell them how to navigate to it? Can I bookmark the URL?

No, it will stay as the same URL, so all the info on the website will have to be pre-loaded.

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Feb 13 2008, 06:09 PM) *

Then you click a back button and it brings you back to the main 'menu'.
What do you mean by "a back button"? Can I use the back button, can I use my browser's normal back function? Or will that take me entirely out of the gallery site?

I just mean a button what will bring you back to the menu. Since the URL of the website will stay the same, the back button will bring you back a page, like it is supposed to, and not back to the menu.

User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Feb 13 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #7

WDG Member

I recommend that you redesign the site.
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post Feb 13 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #8

Jocular coder

Member No.: 43

It sounds to me as though you want to make a "presentation", something where you are totally in control, and the vic_ I mean visitor views your creation at your pace. Why not just make a Flash presentation, since it is designed for that sort of thing? But it's better not to call it a "website", which has other connotations.
User is offlinePM
Sanitarium
post Feb 15 2008, 06:25 PM
Post #9

I'm probably gonna go with the idea of a flash website. I really wanted to try make it out of javascript or AJAX but I guess it will be too hard.

Thanks for the advice guys.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Feb 15 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #10

WDG Member

Is there a particular reason to make the site with Flash/AJAX/whatever? If you've got an online app that uses Flash/AJAX/whatever, that's one thing. But the site itself can (and IMHO, should) still be accessible HTML.
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post Feb 15 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #11

Jocular coder

But the site itself can (and IMHO, should) still be accessible HTML.

This website is about "... Making the Web accessible to all." and within that context advice should and will be about making the site "accessible" (in the very peculiar sense that that word is used here). But is your claim that it "should" be "accessible HTML" supposed to be more absolute than that? If someone wants to make a Flash presentation (I agree it's better not called a "website"), then why shouldn't they?

User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Feb 16 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #12

WDG Member

If someone wants to make a Flash presentation (I agree it's better not called a "website"), then why shouldn't they?
Many user agents won't be able to access the Flash content. HTML content should be accessible to all user agents. In many situations, this is a legal issue (e.g., accessibility for the disabled). In others, it is merely a practical issue (e.g., traffic from search engines, which cannot index Flash content).
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post Feb 16 2008, 02:18 AM
Post #13

Jocular coder

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Feb 16 2008, 02:06 PM) *

If someone wants to make a Flash presentation (I agree it's better not called a "website"), then why shouldn't they?
Many user agents won't be able to access the Flash content. HTML content should be accessible to all user agents. In many situations, this is a legal issue (e.g., accessibility for the disabled). In others, it is merely a practical issue (e.g., traffic from search engines, which cannot index Flash content).

Yes, of course a "Flash presentation" is not (in the usual sense) a website. Are you saying it might be illegal to make a Flash presentation? (I know the legal world is there to give us something to laugh at, but it would be nice if they could be consistent: if a Flash presentation were illegal because some people couldn't access it, so would be anything encumbered with DRM nonsense, whose only purpose is to prevent some people from accessing it.)
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Feb 16 2008, 03:23 AM
Post #14

WDG Member

IANAL, but there are services that are legally required to be accessible, and content in Flash presentations is difficult/impossible for some disabled people to access.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:43 PM