The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Automatic Screen Size, I need my webpage to change with the screen size.
Dante Monaldo
post Jun 15 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,132

Hi Everybody,

I have found that you will have to use the horizontal scroll bar on some screen sizes for my web page. I hear that this is really annoying for the viewer. If someone could tell me what to insert into my code or how to format my website so that this doesn't happen, I would really appreciate it. Click Here to visit the most updated version of my website (although this is just the temporary URL). rolleyes.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jun 15 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

See here.
http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/design.html#screen-size
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jun 15 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #3

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Yes, <table width="1000"> tends to do that when the browser's display area is less than 1000 pixels wide...
User is offlinePM
Dante Monaldo
post Jun 15 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,132

Do you know of a way to fix that, Darin McGrew? I would like to thank Pandy for directing me with the link, although it doesn't say anything about tables. I would like to know how to code my site to automatically resize the tables in different screen sizes, for the majority of my site is in a table.
User is offlinePM
Dr Z
post Jun 15 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11

Horizontal Scrollbar somehow seems to be often classified as "annoying", while the Vertical Scrollbar is accepted as as fact of life, such as taxes. I do not believe that horizontal scrollbar should be a taboo, and should be ass acceptable as the vertical scrollbar if the occasion truly calls for it.

Furthermore, I am totally amazed by many choosing to size their browser window to unrealistic widths and have the audacity to criticize any web site that activates the horizontal scrollbar.

If the layout of your page truly requires the use of the horizontal scrollbar, go ahead and ignore all that belly aching.

Do not forget "one size fits all" fits none.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jun 15 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Dante Monaldo @ Jun 16 2009, 04:55 AM) *

Do you know of a way to fix that, Darin McGrew? I would like to thank Pandy for directing me with the link, although it doesn't say anything about tables. I would like to know how to code my site to automatically resize the tables in different screen sizes, for the majority of my site is in a table.

It doesn't matter if it's tables or a CSS layout. Point is, if you set the width of something to, for example, 1000 pixels, it will be 1000 pixels at all window sizes/screen resolutions. If you don't want that, try to use % instead of pixels.
User is offlinePM
asrock
post Jun 26 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,992

Sorry but I've searched this Forum long and hard for an answer to my problem and after reading the previous replies found that this topic is the most suitable to post into. My problem is this... I've just built a homepage for our club forum. All looks well in the majority of screen resolutions until I viewed the page on my Daughters laptop 800x600 and I've noticed that the page is out of sync and the horizontal scroll bar needs to be used. I have since discovered that this problem is being caused by the chequered side bar / background I have added to the page. Problem is when I reduce the size of the chequered side bar / background it then bleeds on larger res monitors across to the right hand side. I want to be able to have the showing correctly regardless of screen res so can someone show or explain to a newbie to html how to cure this problem please please please? sad.gif

have a look for yourselves usin the temp URL below:

http://ctechwebhosting.co.uk/Intro%20Page/

Many kind thanks in advance! wink.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jun 26 2009, 04:29 PM
Post #8

🌟Computer says no🌟

If I understand you right, make the background as wide as needed and then make it tile only along the y-axis.
http://htmlhelp.com/reference/css/color-ba...ckground-repeat
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jun 26 2009, 04:58 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 7

Sorry for late reply! tongue.gif
QUOTE(Dr Z @ Jun 16 2009, 05:12 AM) *

Horizontal Scrollbar somehow seems to be often classified as "annoying", while the Vertical Scrollbar is accepted as as fact of life, such as taxes.

The difference (when it comes to text) is that you can read a whole screenfull before having to use the vertical scrollbar, while you can't even read a complete single line before having to use a horizontal scrollbar.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jun 26 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #10

WDG Member

Another difference is that support for vertical scrolling is usually more complete than support for horizontal scrolling (e.g., keyboard shortcuts, mouse wheels).
User is offlinePM
asrock
post Jun 26 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #11

No sorry none of the above makes any sense to me sorry! As said I am a newbie to this, all I need is someone to kindly help make my background image to stop tiling vertically on my css page. on the link provided in my last post you will see that the chequered background looks fine on the left hand side where I want it, however once you browse with a lower res monitor it then the scroll bar (horizontal) comes in to play which I dont want, also if the page is browsed in too large of a res then the background image repeats vertically across the page which I've already stated. Cant I just have it look the same regardless of res ? wacko.gif

P.S If it helps any, I'm using Microsoft Expression Web in split mode, so I can see my script and learn whilst doing my design work.

This post has been edited by asrock: Jun 26 2009, 05:41 PM
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jun 26 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #12

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(asrock @ Jun 27 2009, 12:33 AM) *

all I need is someone to kindly help make my background image to stop tiling vertically on my css page.

That's what I told you how to do above. Only I though you wanted it to tile vertically and not horizontally.
User is offlinePM
asrock
post Jun 26 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #13

biggrin.gif Yesssss! Folks I got my problem solved, thanks to you lot! I just found a ton of extra options in Expression Web under css properties, this was a window that I did not have expanded so I never knew about them. But I do have one final question. How do I now get rid of the Horizontal scroll bar? so my page displays the same on lower res screens as it does on my large res monitor? Have a look at my link if possible please in different res. In 1680x1050 the page is exactly how I want it, yet in 1024x600 its not quite right! Do I need to change page size, padding, margins or something? please can someone help with this as I know to you folk its probably an easy and silly little task but for a newbie its quite annoying!

sad.gif

P.S Your absolutely right Pandy, smile.gif it was vertically, not horizontally that I wanted lol. Told you... I'm completely a newbie sorry. Just my prob above now I need sorting. Thanks Pandy

This post has been edited by asrock: Jun 26 2009, 06:29 PM
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jun 26 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #14

WDG Member

It would be easier to help if you got rid of the "//Disable right mouse click Script" nonsense...

Anyway, it seems to be the Flash content that is forcing the width. I don't see the scrollbars until I whitelist your site, and then it seems to be the Flash content that forces the width, probably based on the arguments you pass to SWFObject().
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:46 AM