The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Liquid Design Problem, Thumbnails won't adjust to window size and cause horizontal scroll
Joe Masters
post Jun 20 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,946

Hi everyone. I am trying hard to use liquid design in my websites, so when I have a gallery of thumbnails, I want the number of rows of thumbnails to adjust according to the window size, avoiding horizontal scrolling. If you go to this url: http://www.surecarehomehealth.com/pages/su...ettheteam.shtml, you will see that resizing the window will do what I want it to. However, if you click on the first thumbnail, after opening that page, the thumbnails no longer adjust as desired. It seems that having that large image on top prevents this, but why? I can't figure it out. I can't see what would be preventing the thumbnails from collapsing to fit inside the window. Can anyone tell me why this is? Thanks.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Jun 20 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Pages with large images (like this one) adjust for me, except that the page won't resize any narrower once it hits the large image.

The only way to get it any narrower would be to shrink the large images, or to eliminate the margins, decoration, etc. that make the page be wider than the large images.
User is offlinePM
Joe Masters
post Jun 20 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,946

Thanks for the quick response. I just can't understand why the thumbnails would stop collapsing. There is plenty of space for it to drop down to three columns. But even if the large image would cause horizontal scrolling, elements that wouldn't (or shouldn't) don't, such as the navigation links all the way down at the bottom...they still adjust to the window. Maybe I just have to live with it, but I keep thinking there's got to be a way to make everything adjust to the window.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jun 21 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #4

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

The thumbnails are in the same td element as the large image. The td element won't collapse narrower than the large image, and the thumbnails won't wrap any narrower than the width of the td element.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:21 AM