Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Website layout breaking up on host?
Aizen
post Dec 15 2014, 12:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,939

Recently I started working on my first website, and I've been testing it on Xampp. When I finally finished and decided to upload to my account over at godaddy, the website layout is breaking up? Some elements are not even showing up. I had some issue's running it on internet explorer, but it was working fine on chrome and firefox.
It all looks fine on my end, since it's running perfectly fine under xampp. I'll appreciate it if someone can point me to the right direction, as to what it is that I'm doing wrong here?
Is there something I should be aware of? It's hosted on a Linux server on godaddy, and I'm using just simple php, and js.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Dec 15 2014, 12:58 AM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Can you provide the URL (address) of a document that demonstrates the problem?
User is offlinePM
Aizen
post Dec 15 2014, 01:23 AM
Post #3

I just figured it out. It appears I have to set file permissions to "execute" or else it wasn't working, but if it's such a important feature, shouldn't it be marked already by default? That to me makes no sense why they had it the way it is, but it's a first time for me, a silly mistake I guess. Thanks for such a quick response, I'll be sure to ask more questions here in the future.

This post has been edited by Aizen: Dec 15 2014, 01:24 AM
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Dec 18 2014, 01:17 AM
Post #4

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

It appears I have to set file permissions to "execute" or else it wasn't working, but if it's such a important feature, shouldn't it be marked already by default?
It's a security issue. You don't want to execute arbitrary scripts that you don't actually intend to execute. So making something executable needs to be a deliberate decision, not the default behavior.
User is offlinePM
Aizen
post Dec 18 2014, 01:56 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Dec 18 2014, 01:17 AM) *

It appears I have to set file permissions to "execute" or else it wasn't working, but if it's such a important feature, shouldn't it be marked already by default?
It's a security issue. You don't want to execute arbitrary scripts that you don't actually intend to execute. So making something executable needs to be a deliberate decision, not the default behavior.

Thanks for sharing that. I've changed the permissions back to 0644 for the files, and everything is working fine.

This post has been edited by Aizen: Dec 18 2014, 01:57 AM
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:29 AM