> Mutually Exclusive Options?
Loren
post Jun 8 2012, 09:58 AM
Post #41

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,101

Sorry I drove you away, Christian. sad.gif

And I'm sorry I'm no good with this, no matter how hard I try to be better with it.

I've read up on what I could find (about 80% of the links you gave me were broken), and do walkthroughs and assisted projects to try and learn...I can't figure this out.

But it's really not right to keep asking you to do it for me, basically. You already have.

But it's not working, and I can't figure out why. sad.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Jun 9 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #42

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Loren @ Jun 8 2012, 04:58 PM) *

about 80% of the links you gave me were broken

Which links are broken?

it's not working, and I can't figure out why. sad.gif

If you're new to HTML, CSS and JS then learning it will take some time (I'd imagine at least several months).

First make a lamp by putting together the various changeable image slices. Use only HTML and CSS for that, no javascript. Do not use one large image for the default lamp, that will just complicate things. Once you got that covered you can begin with the script for changing the various image slices.

I've posted some general suggestions in the thread, but you can't expect things to work by putting code snippets together without understanding them.
User is offlinePM
Loren
post Jun 11 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #43

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,101

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jun 9 2012, 12:38 PM) *
Which links are broken?

Going back and reading the thread, I'm pretty sure it was in the "other faq's" sections on CSS and JavaScript, but I can't find them now. ALL of them are purple, indicating that I at least tried to read all of them. It's possible that a server or two was down that's back up now, or other issues.

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jun 9 2012, 12:38 PM) *
First make a lamp by putting together the various changeable image slices. Use only HTML and CSS for that, no javascript. Do not use one large image for the default lamp, that will just complicate things. Once you got that covered you can begin with the script for changing the various image slices.

I've posted some general suggestions in the thread, but you can't expect things to work by putting code snippets together without understanding them.

You did a great job giving me all of the parts. If I weren't such a moron, I could put them all together again, and I'm sure they would work perfectly.

But that's the thing...I'm totally an idiot when it comes to stuff like this. Things were looking okay for a while there, and I thought I might just be able to break through...at least enough to get what I needed out of it. But I was delusional. I can handle complicated ideas, as long as a foreign language isn't introduced. The only reason I could pull off huge, epic RPG's is because the code was all entered by pushing buttons for things like "increase internal variable" or "set global variable". It was dumbed down for morons like me. I created a fairly cool, unique myspace page by fooling around with HTML code, chopping it up, and moving it around until it worked. It was barbaric, but it worked, and I learned a lot about CSS, tags, etc. in the process.

What I did NOT learn was how unforgiving HTML can be, and how important it is to execute code as efficiently as possible. My page worked, and looked badass, so I thought I was badass.

But I was a pathetic tourist who (barely) successfully asked for a glass of water in French for the first time in broken pigeon French and was SO proud.

Okay that's a slight exaggeration...I knew I wasn't "good at HTML" because of that, but I thought it might increase my chances of being able to grasp it, to the degree that I needed to.

Up until a few days ago, I was a caregiver for someone with Parkinson's. To make a long story short, he was supposed to go into assisted care in 5 months. Instead, he decided at the last minute, totally unexpectedly, to go RIGHT NOW. So what was once a "kinda cool project idea" to work on has turned into a business opportunity. I found that I could actually order a small lot of those lamps, and I went for it. I'm actually doing this. I'm in a situation where I don't have much choice right now, though.

So I'm going to HAVE to pay someone to do this for me. I thought I could cobble it together with some help, but I'm proving pretty useless.

Out of desperation I tried one more time to build my own code. I actually got further than I was able to yet, because all 4 options will swap an image, and superimpose over other images. The only problem is that it resets the image to the default, empty globe image before it lays the transparent base image or globe color image over it...not the currently selected globe image. And I tried to do it without using any JavaScript, but I failed. sad.gif How can I swap the image without javascript?

Anyway, this was just WAY, WAY over my head for a first project with web coding.

So now, I guess...as a parting question...

How much do you think it will cost me to have someone make this for me? It just needs to be the lamp builder, and a link to complete the sale in paypal. All custom lamps will be the same price, unless a paypal discount code is used...but I think I should still have a shopping cart system. Sigh...even though I'll be providing all 100-some-odd images myself, that still sounds like a multi-thousand-dollar job. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Loren: Jun 11 2012, 07:31 PM
User is offlinePM

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:02 PM